Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback  (Read 45407 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:04:18 am »

The seventh one has been posted, complete with a transcript by mallocks.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

Ask questions via email (see this thread)!

NOTE:  There was a 27 minute raw recording section I screwed up sending to Rainseeker somehow.  It started with "All right, so now we're going to talk about the future of the artifacts".  He he he he he.  I was too eager/tired when I put up the original talk, so I didn't listen back to it to make sure it was okay, and I'm not sure I would have noticed anyway.  We'll get it up at some point here.  There are a lot of different files when we record the calls, so I guess this kind of thing was inevitable eventually.  Anyway, I think you'll all be at least a bit more happy with the episode once that part is up!

NOTE 2: http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_7_missing_segment.mp3 (raw)
Transcript for missing segment by mallocks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:41:24 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:41 am »

cool talk, Toady.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:57 am »

Happy Valentines Day!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:49 am »

Huzzah!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:04:07 am »

I'm more excited by this than the speed dating I just came back from. Am I a bad person?  ???
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:26:39 am »

I'm more excited by this than the speed dating I just came back from. Am I a bad person?  ???
I also think your speed dating is less exciting than this Dwarf Fortress talk.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:33 am »

There was much fanfare, and the dwarves rejoiced. For the 7th DF podcast had come at last. A gift from our programmer, our creator, Tarn Adams.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:04:02 am by alway »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:48:11 am »

Huzzah!

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »

Yay something to distract me for alittle while, while i wait for the next version......darn......

still, a very solid talk

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »

Just to let you know, we're planning a cool challenge for DF Talk #8, assuming the new release is out.  Keep your ears open for it, it's going to be hidden!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 02:51:15 pm »

I laughed at the "humans are humans, dwarves are dwarves" bit.

I was disappointed, though, that most (2/3 or so) of the artifact discussion was just about the current version -- stuff that anyone could look up on the wiki.  The topic that got voted for was "Artifacts and their future in Dwarf Fortress," so I was expecting the emphasis to be on the future, with only a cursory overview of their current state.  I thought dev items like this one would be a shoo-in for discussion:

# Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

Yeah, I found it a bit disappointing for the lack of talk on the future; most of the things talked about could be found out on the wiki or simply guessed.  But I did learn some new things, though: the thing about fel moods depending on % happiness was interesting, for instance.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

Toady:   
Well you've just got to cut the pauses because we were kind of sitting there with the bong talking really slow, like 'Yeah, and there was like stuff ... and other stuff ... you know? Well let's talk about goats for a while you know ...'

Chuckled at this part. Fairly informative about the behind the scenes mechanics, though I recall voting for a different topic.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »

Have we thanked Mallocks yet? Thanks, Mallocks!

but children doing moods, because they have no skills, will ne'er do weapons (unless there's remote chance on making obsidian sword at craftshop or something?)

Interesting to hear the soulstuff. Didn't remember that too much.

timing mechanisms...Actually, someone has made a 100% accurate mechanical clock/calendar with present machinery, complete with ability to make X happen on Granite 7, etc- it automagmas the depot in spring for instance.

Following along with transcript, a few things popped out at me

typo in transcript "but that disappear" should be "but they disappear"
kobold repeatedly misspelled "kobald"
"fel moods" should be "fell moods"

"hawk" it sounds like they said "hork" (no, I'm not entirely sure what it means either, but hawk would be 'hawking your wares'

Minor omissions: "Alright here's one; 'How much natural selection" should have "from LASD"
"not something that needs to keep happening ..." at the "..." add "even with the dwarves" (with some punctuation)
similarly, after "peas in one pod," should be "and have them taught there"

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »

I laughed at the "humans are humans, dwarves are dwarves" bit.

I was disappointed, though, that most (2/3 or so) of the artifact discussion was just about the current version -- stuff that anyone could look up on the wiki.  The topic that got voted for was "Artifacts and their future in Dwarf Fortress," so I was expecting the emphasis to be on the future, with only a cursory overview of their current state.  I thought dev items like this one would be a shoo-in for discussion:

# Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.

Yeah, I have to agree with Footkerchief here.  The behind-the-scenes mechanics were interesting to have nailed down, but I'd have really liked to hear about what future implementations would be like.  *shrug*

It was still pretty enjoyable, and I appreciate the podcast as always.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:20:36 pm by Kilo24 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6