Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback  (Read 45391 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:22 am »

I say let the dying dog that is artifacts die in peace and just move on to other topics. Really, its not your guys fault, there just isn't much to talk about when it comes to artifacts, at least for now.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 10:37:35 am »

Mostly with the mob here. A lot of current information which was helpful for the current version, pretty light on awesomely fantastical future plans. Although I did find how he wants artifact formation to eventually work to be interesting. (And will actually achieve the whole "dwarves accurately recording their histories in their artifacts, no more "pictures of dwarves working" hopefully.)

Don't need much more though, as there are plenty of other things I'd like to hear about as well. I was surprised though that Toady didn't have more personal ideas for mechanics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

I say let the dying dog that is artifacts die in peace and just move on to other topics. Really, its not your guys fault, there just isn't much to talk about when it comes to artifacts, at least for now.

No there is plenty. :P

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 10:50:29 am »

(And will actually achieve the whole "dwarves accurately recording their histories in their artifacts, no more "pictures of dwarves working" hopefully.)
Um, the "picture of dwarves laboring" is recording the founding of a/your site.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:00 am »

While bonus talk sounds always great, it feels like we are forcing you to something. And we want you all to enjoy what you're doing for us, right? Doing DF talks shouldn't become a chore. Also, the bonus talk would probably delay the next DF talk a little bit. I say, let it be and perhaps make the next Talk a bit longer with one or two bonus questions about the artifacts?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »

Okay, okay!  Will you guys feel better if I get a bonus talk about the future of artifacts from Toady, assuming it's okay with him?
Maybe...

((Just kidding, do whatever you like.))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 04:04:38 pm »

It's kind of strange that Toady doesn't recall that Planepacked was the result of a glitch rather than forbid-reclaim manipulation...but that glitch will be obsolete next version anyway.

It's a little frightening that there may be some things about Dwarf Fortress that the community knows more about than the programmer...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 04:09:28 pm »

It's kind of strange that Toady doesn't recall that Planepacked was the result of a glitch rather than forbid-reclaim manipulation...but that glitch will be obsolete next version anyway.

It's a little frightening that there may be some things about Dwarf Fortress that the community knows more about than the programmer...

He obviously knows it's a glitch.  But yeah, there's a reason we have a Bug Reports forum -- he can't find all stuff that on his own.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:11:36 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 04:34:01 pm »

Well i am sure toady has many notes and comments in and outside his source code but if you write a long project you cant have everything in your head. Your brain is mostly stuffed with the actually important stuff which would be for toady, most likely, the new features of the new release.

Also Artefacts are very old in comparsion to almost everything on the code. Thought how you get to moods was surprising. I was exspecting things like iddle-times etc. to have an impact not the size of my fort.

I did miss to more on the future stuff. Artefacts with souls, semi magic effects etc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »

I'd prefer the next DF Talk to have a new topic, possibly with some time set aside for artifact discussion.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »

I'm going to side with Dakk here. To be honest when confronted with the name of the topic I thought 'haven't artifacts been covered? What future?'  If there is any future though, sure, a minute or too would be nice if you guys have time left over from the next one.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 06:54:38 pm »

Honestly, I'd rather have Toady decide what he wants to tell us about in the next Talk. I imagine it will be more fun for him to expound on something he's currently excited about, rather than having to react to stuff he may not have thought a great deal about for a while.

(At least, that's how he seemed to me on the artifacts. Sort of like "Oh, ok you want to talk about artifacts? Hrmm, what is there to say......)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:49 pm »

That was interesting. A little bit on the future of artifacts might be nice, but you don't need to spend too much time on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »

Singing to Scamps and that "chickens and pigs and goats and chickenpiggoats" bit had me laughing pretty hard.

Also that Chipmunk bit at the end made me think of Mordin.  ALSO the end was awesome, more of that please.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:19 am »

Who the heck is interlocutor?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6