Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need to create  (Read 419 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need to create
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »

I need to create a armor set that I can access at the beginning of my fortress. I tried editing the reaction raws but they all came out too large and I dont want to edit dwarfs to be larger. What is the best way of doing this?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need to create
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:22:59 pm »

Hmm. Normally, wearable items are created at the "default" size (that is, 7; dwarves are size 6, hence the created items are labeled "large" if you're playing dwarves). Only actually items actually made by a race are the proper size for them, so you're going to have to resort to actually forging the armor.

You could make a form of super-metal with 0 value and the ARMOR tag, which would allow you to effortlessly bring enough of it to make your armor out of. You may even be able to buy some on embark, though IIRC you'd have to give it BLOCK_PERC of more than 133% for METAL_PREF races like dwarves to use. If you make it, you'll also of course have to embark with an anvil; I'd recommend against making a 0-value ANVIL material, as the anvil you embark with is invariably the cheapest one possible.

Then again, if you're going with the "forge armor onsite" method, you might as well just embark with an anvil, a bunch of iron or steel-making materials, and not mod at all. It depends on how soon after embark you want it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »

You could probably follow the "do it yourself" embark guide, with an anvil and no axe, however, you might also be able to just make a reaction (since that uses the anvil-less smelter) to just make an anvil using something you will have on hand. 

You could make a reaction that takes one tower cap log, and turns it into an iron anvil, several pieces of charcoal, and several bars of bronze or whatever metal you want to make it from, depending on how much you really want to cheat.

You still need to sit there pounding that into armor, though, so it may take a while to get several suits of armor out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:38 pm »

Hey, I appreciate the reply. I think I'll go with the forging idea with a twist. Thanks!