Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Othor II. RP?  (Read 10893 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Othor II. RP?
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:22:17 pm »

Hello, bay12 dwellers! I bring to you a gift for the Saint Valentine's Day! A story of devotion, aspirations, romance (potentially), where you get to be the characters. But first, the story behind the story.

Some time in December I wrote "Othor the Necromancer" and put it in the Creative Projects. Among several responses was a suggestion that a sequel would be appropriate. I thought, "Indeed, I'm not finished with this character". I wasn't very certain, but by the New Year's Eve I had some ideas for a story and then sat in front of my computer to try and put them into words. I was just past a couple of paragraphs when I discovered that I didn't know anything about my other characters. And a day later University work caught up with me.

It stayed this way until yesterday when I thought about signing up to some writing community or forum where I could share written art. Then I thought about my unfinished story and how it was based on an obscure computer game that few people had heard of outside of DF forums. Well, I could put it here. But it's incomplete! Then I suddenly thought, "Why should I keep dragging it on for an inspiration? Why should I wait until I complete it, to share it?" A bit later, "Why don't I let forumites make characters for me?" Then I remembered that people actually do it, and it's called role-playing forum games.

And here I am.

Quote from: OthorII
A warm sun just tinted the sky bright orange in the west and a shy moon showed its semi-transparent face. The former looked at a jagged shape of a town of Romistra fringed by a dark line of fortifications and didn't express any emotion. The latter was ominous.

The hills around the city were calm and still, the wind that had swept between them during the day had settled down. Only a couple of giant cicadas were holding their contest, frequently leaping above the wavy horizon line, and in turns filling the air with their buzzing. But for them, the evening was silent.

So was the town. The solid stone walls were empty, no guards stood in the gates which were gaping open, the inhabitants oblivious to any danger from the outside. The standard was hanging lifelessly, lowered to the base of its pole. No streak of smoke rose from the town's chimneys and no bark of a stray dog could be heard. One could think that the town was abandoned, or dead.

Hidden in the shadow of the hills, four travelers were crouched on the ground.

Edit: And so, 4 main characters have been submitted.

One of them was a man of gaunt build, wrapped in a cloak that almost made him into a shapeless stain on the grass, but for an occasional glitter of a mail from under it. He had a stern, noble face, with the look of his eyes matching his armor in the feeling of concealment and watchfulness. The man was on the road for a long time, maybe his whole life, by the looks of a weathered face with a rough stubble, and unkempt hair, with a rare straw entangled into light-brown curls. From underneath the corner of his cloak, lying on the ground, a crescent of a shield could be seen. The man was still and tense, peering at the walls of the town in front of him.
- a man,

A couple of feet from him, a hooded figure, thrice as small as the man, sat cross-legged. It was a female kobold, her broad muzzle boldly perked from under the hood, wet nostrils dilating at a passing scent from time to time. Her whole body was covered by loose dark clothing, except for hands and feet, armed with sharp claws. She had a proud posture and would seem as grave as the human warrior, yet she couldn't help but check her fingers now and then, for they would pick and tear a grass stalk into little pieces as soon as her attention dwindled. That was, apparently, quite irritating for her, as she would sometimes let out a barely audible growl, directed towards her ill-behaving limbs that gave away her weakness, and if one of her companions appeared to have noticed her restlessness, she would challenge him with a fierce stare of her large shiny eyes.
- a kobold,

Indeed, sometimes one of the travelers would slip a worried glance in her direction. It was another man. He half-lay on the grass, much more relaxed than his brother by race, and had much softer features. But he wasn't a slacker or a greenhorn, for his sturdy-looking iron armor was well-worn, yet clean and cared for, and his hand rested confidently on the hilt of a longsword of delicate craftsmanship at his belt. His eyes were partially hidden by a careless flow of brown hair as if he knew of his trusting look and tried to hide it, but it didn't help and they easily gave away his concern and compassion for his kobold companion.
- another man,

The fourth traveler was a young halfling man. His seemed neither relaxed, nor nervous, but rather deep in thought. His eyes were half closed, and fingers of his right hand were strumming invisible strings, while his other hand supported his head, with the elbow on a half-bent knee of his leg. He was obviously a musician, with his instrument - a tear-drop shaped mandola in a leather case, strapped on his back. He wore a linen cloak with a brownish fringe and under it he had a brilliant leather jacket with silvery stripes. On his legs he had dark-red leather trousers and leather boots, coming up to the middle of his ankles. But, for or all the pompousness of his garments, he didn't look like one concerned with ridicule. His thin mouth gave away experience in the more cruel ways of life, even if his whole face was covered in a shadow of sadness of one used to express his finest emotions in poetry.
- and a halfling.

The four travelers were different. Not only by appearance, or demeanour, but beside that, they were separated by some imperceptible boundaries that made them set themselves down a few feet from each other, and keep from talking. But it may be that the very atmosphere of the place made everyone shy, or the peace and calmness around weren't very favourable to the travelers' cause.

And henceforth I'm supposed to do the writing, and our leaders - to wait, until I announce that they are to make a decision. But really, the fate of Othor is in your hands every day.

So, what are you waiting for? Plunge in!

The events so far.

The speculations

The histories

Girls! :(

This steel torch holder menaces with a shank of steel.

Just the dust on the soles of our feet.

Mortal Kombaat! :o

Romistra á talons d'une kobold.

Finally inside the city. The guard house.

Going deeper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:09:17 am by Supermikhail »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Othor II, a story with forumite participation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »

Kobold
Chagaklogus
He is a strong yet short figure, with a large scar upon his chest. He is covered in a coat of mail, and a leather jerkin, as well as some cloth clothing and a cloth cloak and hood. He has a short sword.
He is a swordsbold.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:26:36 pm »

Race: Zombie [Human]

Name: !Grk?

Appearance: A bit of gangrene has dissolved parts of his left leg. He wears a tunic and breeches. There is a six-inch nail stuck through the palm of his right hand. His teeth are pointed.

Skills: Very Strong
         Proficient Thrower
         Adept Wrestler

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:09:02 pm »

Race: Leechman
Name: Leech
Appearance: Red tinted, but black body. His lips are a dark pink. He wears a long white cape and a hood that covers most of his face, but not his mouth.
Skills: Bloodsuck, Legless Sprint, Latch.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »

Kobold
Fithgnliru
A cute, shy kobold girl, think of Gobbos pictures.
Skills: Hiding, climbing almost anything, slipping through extremely small passages/diving/otherwise getting to anywhere, deduction/detective work
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »

Elf "A very tall dwarf" (but seriously a dwarf raised elf)
Ulidae
A rough stone-crazed elven dwarven male owning tough features, dark green eyes, with a neatly groomed crimson beard and hair, equiped with a matching set of copper gauntlets and warm burnt orange apparel with soft inlaid leather boots.
Skills: Agile, tough, learned stonesense, supressed elven naturetalk, learned booze dependence, mining, wrestler.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:05:14 am »

He said he wants characters by PM :)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:40:50 am »

Ok... The characters would have better been sent by PM, but if you're so Not shy, I won't stop you. And... My goodness! Mr. Dwarf, I am almost feeling ashamed to continue. That's a masterpiece of a character and goes in immediately.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although, ignore that for a moment.

I am guessing you have assumed that it's really a forum role-playing game I am doing. That's not exactly so. I have thought about it today and decided that this is going to work this way:

Mechanics

• You submit your character*
  • I approve it, and henceforth you own it, which means that
  • during the course of the story you may make decisions and dialogue choices for your character, but
  • I do the writing, and leave to myself a right to change the personality and the behaviour of your character as I see fit.

* Character description should have (here I'm working from Dwarf's excellent submission):
  • race
  • name
  • a bit of background (as you imagine, but rater optional)
  • appearance
  • personality traits (optional)
  • equipment
  • notable skills (don't go all by today's DF, because it's rather boring and redundant for a story - I'm not going to throw dice for sneak checks :) ).

Also, about zombies:
I am not sure, how it's going to work, but I can throw them in. Undead with a bit of personality are always good.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:19 am »

Send by PM?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

Sending a better !Grk? to you via PM

I'm fine with playing a minor role. I'm just thinking it'll be awesome when a zombie becomes a hero.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

Send by PM?

Hey, what do you think about Fithgnliru? Well, what does your character think about her? :)
I'll actually try to incorporate as many characters from this thread into the story as possible, seeing as I don't have a flood of submissions that I hoped for :). So do it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:54:39 am »

Ok... The characters would have better been sent by PM, but if you're so Not shy, I won't stop you. And... My goodness! Mr. Dwarf, I am almost feeling ashamed to continue. That's a masterpiece of a character and goes in immediately.
Although, ignore that for a moment.

I am guessing you have assumed that it's really a forum role-playing game I am doing. That's not exactly so. I have thought about it today and decided that this is going to work this way:

Mechanics
  • You submit your character*
  • I approve it, and henceforth you own it, which means that
  • during the course of the story you may make decisions and dialogue choices for your character, but
  • I do the writing, and leave to myself a right to change the personality and the behaviour of your character as I see fit.
This sound's great, it was basicaly waht I figured from the begining. Pming the more detailed version of my kobold now.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

Oh, thank you. I will try to make decisions interesting and fitting to the character  :)
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 08:23:10 am »

Ok. How do you do it?....
Well, here is a passage to feel the space. Basically, introducing the characters. Meet the barbarian and the thief, I think ;).
Quote from: OthorII
Hidden in the shadow of the hills, four travelers were crouched on the ground. One of them was a man of gaunt build, wrapped in a cloak that almost made him into a shapeless stain on the grass, but for an occasional glitter of a mail from under it. He had a stern, noble face, with the look of his eyes matching his armor in the feeling of concealment and watchfulness. The man was on the road for a long time, maybe his whole life, by the looks of a weathered face with a rough stubble, and unkempt hair with a rare straw entangled into light-brown curls. From underneath the corner of his cloak, lying on the ground, a crescent of a shield could be seen. The man was still and tense, peering at the walls of the town in front of him.
A couple of feet from him, a hooded figure, thrice as small as the man, sat cross-legged. It was a female kobold, her scaly blunt snout showing from under the hood, and large yellow disks of her eyes flashing at a stray sunbeam. But for her clawed hands and feet, and a thin flexible tail curving to her knees from the base of her spine, her body was completely covered by loose dark clothing. She seemed calm and remote, yet couldn't help checking her fingers that would pick and tear a stalk of grass into small pieces as soon as her attention dwindled. Sometimes, she would stroke the sheath of her weapon lying on the ground beside her - a curved dagger the length of her forearm. This way the kobold would seem nervous, but she would answer with a challenging stare to any of her companions who, on purpose or not, would happen to catch her weak and slipping into pointless musings.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Othor II. A character submission, anybody? Please? Two vacant roles left.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:31 am »

Nice. D'aww, the cutebold... Squee!

(Also, I'd like to point out that my character shouldn't be a 'barbarian' in the common meaning. A grim, harsh, hard warrior, but just and with a sense of honour, not a mere rapist and pillager, if that works for the story)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11