Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Othor II. RP?  (Read 10892 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Othor II. A character submission, anybody? Please? Two vacant roles left.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09:35 am »

Doublepost:

If it's necessary, I could make you another character, but it's a sub-optimal solution.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

Well, yeah, I am mixing my classes for humor. Now I remember, that most RPGs depict the barbarian as a hairy bodybuilder graphically... Well, then he'll be the Warrior, although that doesn't mean anything in the context of DF anyway.
I mean, I'm sticking to your description. Why would I go to all that trouble to end up with the usual cliché?...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:29:22 am »

Well, yeah, I am mixing my classes for humor. Now I remember, that most RPGs depict the barbarian as a hairy bodybuilder graphically... Well, then he'll be the Warrior, although that doesn't mean anything in the context of DF anyway.
I mean, I'm sticking to your description. Why would I go to all that trouble to end up with the usual cliché?...

Okay then :)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »

That is great! I really look forward to reading this once it's finished!  :D

One thing, in case you didn't know, DF kobolds are not actually reptilian, although a it works just fine if you're not keeping strictly to DF canon. Some kobold types in various fiction:
DnD: Lizardlike
DF: rat or doglike
Cutebolds: reminding of capibaras sort of
traditional folklore: shapeshifters if I remember, probably like small humans most of the time.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 08:38:42 pm »

Except in DnD, I've always seen them as Dogpeople, whereas Gnolls are Wolfpeople.

!Grk? is quite a jolly fellow, FYI.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:58 am »

Armok, thanks for keeping up the kobold lore where it belongs :). I totally agree with you, except for DF kobolds which I see more goblinoid than rat-like (and Kobold quest clearly depicts a goblinoid).

BtSG: I wouldn't mind dog-like kobolds in DnD, but they clearly have lizard-like stats and abilities.
In earlier DnD editions they were goblinoid, later they became lizardlike.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:00 am »

That is great! I really look forward to reading this once it's finished!  :D

One thing, in case you didn't know, DF kobolds are not actually reptilian, although a it works just fine if you're not keeping strictly to DF canon. Some kobold types in various fiction:
DnD: Lizardlike
DF: rat or doglike
Cutebolds: reminding of capibaras sort of
traditional folklore: shapeshifters if I remember, probably like small humans most of the time.
Well, I had google'd my research, I mean, I had researched my Google, - because prior to this thread I had a very vague idea of what kobolds are at all (When I was curious, I sort of nerded it out on Wikipedia and assumed that any reasonable person visualized kobolds as little spirit men), - and didn't find any description of DF kobolds. On the other hand, the Internet is rife with DnD kobolds, so I went with the majority, I guess, but unfortunately didn't consider the idea that cutebolds could be a completely different species.
Anyway. So, Armok, you can see a capibara scaling the walls in ninja gear?
It won't be too hard to turn her into a mammal at this point, though. You just be clear. That picture reminded me most of a dinosaur cartoon I had watched when I was a kid.
P.S. "She seemed calm, yet couldn't help vibrating her whiskers from time to time to imaginary scents of danger." :)
!Grk? is quite a jolly fellow, FYI.
To be fair, I had a very good laugh at the descriptions, and can't imagine !Grk? in any other way than jolly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:09:26 am »

and didn't find any description of DF kobolds
You shouldn't always google when there're obvious things much closer.

(A creature to the right)

Goblinoid enough for me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:11:54 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 07:44:29 am »

Eh... Maybe my bad, but I'm kind of hesitant to try to run them on Linux. And I don't remember getting to see that picture when I ran Kobold Quest while still on Windows. Probably a faulty memory. Anyway, thanks, although, how do I turn that creature into a cutebold, I wonder.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 09:34:41 am »

So you don't want a leechman character, or do you just want more information on them? That's fine I suppose, I might think of something else.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

Oh, right, I forgot to link the absolute canon on cutebolds: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27088.0
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:26 am »

So you don't want a leechman character, or do you just want more information on them? That's fine I suppose, I might think of something else.
The adventuring party should consist of, at least, intelligent and speech-capable characters. I will accept a leechman with a broader description, but I would really appreciate someone, you know, our man and cutebold could connect with, because I would like to finish the introduction as soon as possible.
Oh, right, I forgot to link the absolute canon on cutebolds: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27088.0
Ok. I am really having trouble with appearance, not culture. Although, some details there are really worth checking out, thanks. But we are straying from the capibara here!  ;)
Edit: Sorry, just got to appearance... I don't know... They seem like... nothing I've ever seen.
And they are totally not reptilian.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:36:24 am by Supermikhail »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:24 am »

That link was for apperance. You don't need to read the entire thread, most of it is irelevan't, what you shuld look for is Gobbos pictures.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »

Got my stab at kobold fan images

So are we going for something like this? (Notice prominent hairs all around the body, flaggy ears and large incisors, probably bound to become a cause for embarassing lisping(edit: and rat-like feet); but disregard complete lack of cuteness.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:31:36 pm by Supermikhail »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:12 pm »

Yea, sorta. Pherhaps the fur is slightly shorter (probably it's naturaly abaut like that picture, but they cut it shorter), pherhaps a slightly higher forhead, and kobolds are carvevores so the teeth would probably be more like those of a cat/bear/wolf or atleast a rat, and she shuldn't look uite as hevy and clumsy... In fact, I think being carnivores cover all of those: Carnevores are usualy more intelegent, meaning larger brains,  being more intelligent they might for example cut their hair for cultural reasons, and being carnivores also means having different teeth and needing more agility...
So yea, imagine a CARNIVOROUS capibara, with all the myriad adaptations needed for that change in diet.

For equipment, the dagers look abaut right, pherhaps a bit TO big, as they look like swords now. You forgot the hood and cloak. Also, in general medieval clothing tended to be more complex I think.

Edit: Oh, and I got so cought up in critizising I forgot to say: Thats really awesome!
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11