Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: XMLCMS  (Read 1898 times)

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XMLCMS
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:36 am »

Do you plan on reducing the verbiage of your xml format to further save on transmit costs at the expense of human readability?

No.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 01:18:32 pm »

And this significantly reduces them because you are doing all your block placement, format decoration, etc. on the client size.

Except this is all done in CSS and so true anyway. Which goes back to the point about the data in the XML and the fact there is no real indication it will be any less than the XHTML.

Again, no. The transforms are sent to the browser once and cached there.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »

And this significantly reduces them because you are doing all your block placement, format decoration, etc. on the client size.

Except this is all done in CSS and so true anyway. Which goes back to the point about the data in the XML and the fact there is no real indication it will be any less than the XHTML.

Again, no. The transforms are sent to the browser once and cached there.

Possibly. But CSS and js files are also cached by many browsers. You will be sending uncompressed and verbose xml. is there really that big a difference between:
Code: [Select]
<page><properties><name>XMLCMS</name></properties><content><post><name>First post is this!</name><body>THIS IS A FIRST POST</body></post><post><name>Second post title is this!</name><body>THIS IS A SECOND POST</body></post></content></page>

and:

<html><head><title>XMLCMS</title></head><body><div class="title">XMLCMS</div><div class="post"><div>First post is this!</div><div>THIS IS A FIRST POST</div></div><div class="post"><div>Second post title is this!</div><div>THIS IS A SECOND POST</div></div></body></html>

If you really wanted to save bandwidth for decoration, you can serve data to the browser as JSON and assemble it with javascript...

{"properties":{"title":"XMLCMS"},"content":{"posts":{"First post is this!":"THIS IS A FIRST POST","Second post title is this!":"THIS IS A SECOND POST"}}}

If you really want to make a difference in bandwidth, you should do something like that. Likewise you can arrange your code to separate css and js from your html files so they are cached. But if you are just doing this to exercise your programming muscles? by all means, go for it. But it won't be significantly more bandwidth and processor efficient than well built html.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »

Best results:

A C(or other compiled language) program that downloads just the new/edited posts in one of 256 entirely diffrent compression formats, whatever one gets the best size, and then extracts it into the local-PC board set.

Due to the processing involved, this would only be the best solution when the bottleneck is transmission speed. Maybe that is how the interplanetary BBS system will work, the servers on each planet using that for communication and others getting the pages in more standard HTML/IPML(interplanetary markup language) from the local server?

But still, a program that caches posts as well as the layout and assembles it, only downloading new posts and edits would be the most optimal solution, discounting the program itself's download...
Eh?
Eh!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 04:16:20 am »

But still, a program that caches posts as well as the layout and assembles it, only downloading new posts and edits would be the most optimal solution, discounting the program itself's download...

I'm getting a little off topic here but pretty much you can do this with something along the lines of Comet. It requires some modification to the standard way you setup a webserver to allow the high connection counts required but it allows you to send only the latest changes. And as your almost certainly using JavaScript to do it then sending the data as compressed JSON is the default and cheaper than XML.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 05:10:05 am »

I'm using XSLT to do it.
Pages: 1 [2]