Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More starting dwarves  (Read 930 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
More starting dwarves
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:46:00 am »

7 dwarves is fine when you're just starting out on the game and can't afford to be overwhelmed, but really it makes things really, really slow, especially if lots of early attacks result in casualties and/or require you to start drafting part-time soldiers. Playing for a year with just 7-9 dwarves, let alone 4-6, is by far the most boring part of the game. It would be nice if there were an option to bring along extra dwarves at the start, either as just a plain option or for a chunk of points. But not too many--more dwarves is a good thing no matter what the floodchamber people say, but there still are some costs required for each new dwarf so I don't think it should cost too many points.

Also, is there any good way to really boost immigration? I hear it's based on total wealth and total floor space. I have a miner going full speed the entire first year, usually getting them up to legendary by winter so they're digging at light speed for the last season, so I don't know how I could improve that any short of getting another miner (which isn't happening because I have only 8 dwarves in the first year, 9 tops). If I beeline for the lava and start making lots of platinum crap, will that bring more immigrants? I only ever get about 20-22 the first year and that's just not enough. Does it help if I dump my fancy goods on the dwarf caravan in the fall?

[ August 29, 2006: Message edited by: RPB ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: More starting dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

the wealthier you are, the more will come, but seriously, won't your food stockpiles get overwhelmed by such a large immigration?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: More starting dwarves
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:45:00 am »

No. My food stockpiles only ever get overwhelmed by having too much food.