Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: How did you find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 28998 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:10 pm »

Someone on Bogleech made a thread about cool titans and forgotten beasts, then someone else started talking about the hilarious and grisly combat system and I was immediately interested.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:21 am »

I saw that it was one of the games that inspired Minecraft on the minecraft wiki. Needless to say, this is much better and I haven't returned to minecraft since. I never had sanity and this forum society welcomes me...  :D
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2013, 08:16:01 pm »

I was doing google searches, I cant remeber what for exactly. It would have been something like "world generator" "RPG" or "sandbox roguelike", something like that.

I played a tutorial with a pregenned world (http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/) and loved it.I didnt get 90 percent of it.

Lomothiit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2013, 01:20:43 pm »

I came across it at random while looking for a dwarf picture for something I can't even remember now.  But I downloaded it and started play bot pissed at how complicated it was and vowed to figure it out without any guides, and so far I have kept to that.  Still not great at it though XD

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2013, 09:29:45 am »

One of my online friends told me I should play this so I did.  I didn't get far far with it though, and left.
Later (few months later) I stumbled upon the story of Boatmurdered on the TVTropes website and followed the link.  I stayed up almost all night reading it and almost got in trouble due to all my laughing.  I still wasn't busted by my parents, so I was able to finish the whole thing.  The next day I decided that if stuff like that could happen in my game, I wouldn't care about its difficulty, so I tried again.

The fort I created while trying again?  I'm still running it  :P .

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2013, 12:08:11 pm »

JefMajor.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ

• Bay Watcher
  • n͢͡a҉͞ṕ̶̶͘ą̸͘͘҉l̶̕͝ò̧̧́͢m̸̢̛̕͟o͢͡
    • View Profile
    • This Interesting Thing I Found on the Internet
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

I heard that Minecraft was inspired by Dwarf Fortress; so I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did.
check out my blog: titifoti.tk

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:28 pm »

I heard about it from an xkcd comic and decided to look it up.  It's been an interesting experience so far.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »

pretty sure it was 2 youtubers playing minecraft started talking about it and unleashing fun from deep below and that got me interested.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2013, 01:47:26 am »

Jefmajor
Bengal Hairybasements and Noloc Clobberrake
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]