Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: How did you find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 28997 times)

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »

Found it on scrapheap challenge, which i found through EVE (suckish game, quit)

Dont google scrapheap challenge if you don't want to lose your sanity, and no its not the show.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:12 pm »

In truth I can not remember how I stumbled on it the first time. Tried it once but I was getting something like 1fps with the starting 7. Didn't get the game and then left it be dispite finding the Wiki...

I then upgraded my PC, read an articel in PCPowerplay (PC Gaming Mag) and then tried again, found out it rocked like crazy on the new pc and haven't stopped playing since...
Damn, I have 121 dwarves and I'm getting 19-30 FPS.
I have Infinate FPS if I raise the Cap for embark...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:32 pm »

A friend kept playing it whenever I was at his house, and ENDLESSLY HARASSING ME to start playing.

I had my doubts, until I saw half his fort get wiped out by a flood of magma.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:52 pm »

Thread on /tg/ sparked my interest, I proceeded to google it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 11:54:53 pm »

Like so many, it was Boatmurdered that drew my attention.  One of the regulars on an IRC channel I frequent kept making reference to it, and since I was already a fan of LPs (both reading and writing them), I decided to check it out.  I think the moment that absolutely sold me on the game was when I got to the bit about Sankis going on a berserk killing spree while on fire.  Before that moment, I was still teetering on the edge of "sounds kind of cool, but not sure I want to try it".

Isn't it amazing just how much a burning Dwarf can accomplish?
Sanity is for the weak.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:09 am »

A friend, Squeegy, recommended me to Dwarf Fortress a long while's back. At first the game was mind-boggling, but he told me it was awesome and that's that. So, I went through the month-long painstaking process of trial-and-erroring my way into understanding Dwarf Fortress's mechanisms. Proudly, I'm an ASCII lover so I never once used any graphics, tilesets, etc.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:02 am »

The ADOM forums I was well versed in ascii and was hoping to find more ascii games in their other games thread and I did.

Komdour

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats with these Urist McBlabla's anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 01:16:15 am »

I just realized, I don't remember how I found it  :o  ??? .... But I do remember seeing screenshots of mayday graphics and thinking "woah, this could be cool," and then visiting the site and finding this wierd text game. I thought I had remembered the name wrong and left. I couldn't figure it out. I came back a long time later and discovered that I had the right name. A couple months after that I discovered the video tutorial and it explained the graphics packs. It took me a couple weeks, and I finally decided to try this so called 'amasing' bum of a modern game. It wasn't a bum, and here I am a year later.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:36 am »

/v/

Say posts there tons about how much everyone hated carp.
A few months later spontaneously looked it up on youtube and found captain duck's video tutorial.

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 01:45:59 am »

I first heard about it searching for games on TIGSource, the Indy gaming site run by Derek Yu (of Spelunky and Aquaria fame). I don't remember my first reaction, but I think I was slightly impressed, but put off by the ASCII and the complexity.

When TIGSource did an article on captain_duck's tutorials in January 09, I randomly clicked on one or two just out of idle curiosity. I was somewhat intrigued, but it didn't hook me.

Then early last November I got into a *strange mood* where I had to find a strategy game that fit just right. After chewing through a couple games, and contemplating finding a download of Civ 2 or Settlers 2, I decided to give DF a whirl. The rest is history.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:27 am »

One of the chat channels on Kongregate. Some people were talking about it and when I heard that it was "impossible to learn without the wiki" I just had to abandon my Flash experience to check it out.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:17 am »

I don't remember when exactly I came across it, but I didn't register on the forums right away so I can't go off that date. I think it was late 2006 or early 2007 that I stumbled onto the Dwarf Fortress page on Wikipedia and it sounded interesting so I tried it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 02:59:31 am »

don't google "scrapheap challenge"
Oh no, not again D:.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 03:08:56 am »

/tg/. There was a particularly cool thread about trap designs. I'm like, "This is sick and horrifying! I must play it!"

Then, I found it. It took me ages to learn how to dig. My first embark was this tiny place in a freezing area with nothing but a bottomless pit and a magma pipe. My dwarves went crazy and killed each other because I didn't know they needed food.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:26 am »

I was reading in article / interview a few years ago (2 or 3?), carried out between some website and George Moromisato (of indie nethack / asteroids hybrid Transcendence fame).

George said that he was currently playing a lot of Dwarf Fortress, due to the huge level of detail appealing to his obsessive side, or something.

Strangely enough this sold it for me, I went and found it, read through the wiki tutorial (we didn't have video tutorials in them days!!) and 4 hours later I could place carpenter's workshops.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16