Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven hygeine  (Read 1358 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Dwarven hygeine
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

I have a very dirty dwarf. As the former expedition leader and now mayor of a ten-dwarf fortress, he has been around longer than any other dwarf. Thus, he has accumulated many things, including stains of all sorts. He has achieved a status of supreme squalor, possessing copious amounts of mud, vomit, and blood upon his person.

I suggest that one be able to clean the dwarves somehow, to rid them of this excess baggage. Perhaps they should be able to wade into water and wash themselves. This would probably help with the mud-tracking problem as well. It is truly a wonder that this filthy individual does not produce a certain purple gas or suffer from social deficiency.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven hygeine
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

Perhaps they could use soap for this.  I've never used soap, but I've heard it's only a trade good as of right now.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

First there ought to be a reason to clean them in the first place.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

Once they care about wearing clothes (modesty) they could have similar concepts of filth and squalor.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

Well you'd think at least nobles would want to stay clean.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

I have the opposite. I can barely get any of my dwarves dirty. Not even my military dwarves have much caked on filth (mostly because they're all wrestlers).

Conversely, almost every single one of my animals has a layer of crud on it.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

Mud in one eye, and vomit in the other... that's just nasty.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

Bah - you and your human sensibilities!

Being covered in mud is what being a dwarf is all about - it shows how you are becoming one with the earth.  Only a surface dweller would object to being covered in mud.

And why would a dwarf not be proud of his accomplishments?  Wearing the blood of one's enemies proves a dwarf's valor and prowess in battle!

The vomit... well thats just an added bonus to improve the smell.

But in case you want your dwarfs to be clean (for some perverse reason), I have a suggestion.  Make an activity zone for bathing - a dwarf goes to the pond or brook and washes (which contaminates the water for a bit).  Otherwise, they can go to a new piece of furniture - a bath (which needs to be stocked with a bucket of water for each washing and a piece of soap after 20 or so).

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

Cleaning your dwarves would not only clean your dwarves, but also clean your computer's memory.

Imagine a dwarf that is 100% clean, and then this ultra-dirty dwarf Leerok has.
x200 for both instances.
[Which do you think would take less memory?]

Yeah, that's alot of extra crap that's flung onto each of the dwarf's inventory lists. And then of course you get the dwarves who dont care and run around naked everywhere.  :D

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »

considering a moderate sized fort has at least 10,000 and maybe as many as 100,000 stones laying around in it at any given time, I doubt the mud and such caked on each dwarf makes much of a difference at all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

Any sort of covering which affects the eye should require a combat action to wipe off, and cause blindness in that particular eye until wiped off.  Coverings probably shouldn't be able to affect internal organs or such.  Any wipe action can target any non-embedded body part, which will also wipe off all of the embedded body parts in that part.  (E.g., wiping your head = wiping your eyes, nose, mouth, and the rest of your head.)

Anyone know of any animals which can't reach their own eyes with some sort of extremity to wipe it?  Nothing comes to mind, but if there are any animals which theoretically couldn't it would be useful to add as a tag.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Mammals have eyelids for a reason.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA