Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: CUBE 3D Engine  (Read 4690 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
CUBE 3D Engine
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Cube is an open source voxelized real-time editable 3D engine.
http://sauerbraten.org/

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Zaratustra ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CUBE 3D Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

No.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

I love the total lack of effort you put into the suggestion.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure every DF player is already in either the 'I love 3D' or 'I love ASCII' crowd so why bother?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

second on that no.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Honestly I can't be bothered to read that website any more than you could be bothered to explain it so I'm just going to assume you found some 'neat' 3D engine and had to hurry and suggest it here for some reason.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

jesus christ ok fine.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

no dude you leik dont undrstand threeD is oar-some itz all leik three d and stuff. srsly onece u tri teh 3d u'll be convinced

and it wont be hard to use i swear itll be easy to change df to three d tottly. i cud do it but i wonts, lol, gutta lern to du someting urself, lol

kkthyxbye

p.s do you leik dworfs

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

Yes, I'm glad we got that out of our systems.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

Why would DF even need voxels?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>No.</STRONG>

Third.

As awesome as that engine looks, it has no place in DF.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Exactly.   Just because something is really groovy, doesn't mean it has to be fit into DF somehow.   Like voxels.   How would that even work?  My mind is boggled  :(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

I was thinking recently about what DF would look like in 3D...  You'd really just need a very simple thing for handling the environment, since everything's already split up into rather big blocks.  However, you'd have the problem of trying to deal with the rather amusing dents in space that DF has...  Like the "kittens on a tile" problem, or the ever-popular "colossus-in-a-corridor".  Little hard to shove stuff like that under the rug when it's all in 3D.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

I'm not sure what the suggestion is (to use that for 3D graphics of some kind I guess?), but the one-word and equivalent replies, you're not helping, or even following the rules I've posted.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

I'll expand on my 'no'.

I would like to point out that Dwarf Fortress is already in 3D (having the Z axis and all), so that can't possibly be the point of the suggestion. So I'm guessing that the suggestion of using CUBE is about the graphics.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't need 'graphics'. One of the reasons that DF is so incredibly awesome is that it's a game that focuses on gameplay. It's all about playing the game, and adding things the complement, accentuate, and enhance that gameplay. And you can argue all you want, but graphics are not gameplay. Sure, they may be sexy, but are they really needed? Would you rather a game that's great to play or good to look at? You can rarely find both, and the vast majority of games these days sacrifice being fun to play to look shiny (and all shades of brown and grey)

Someone will of course say that with 'better' graphics then DF will be more accessible and attract more people. And it will - but will they stick around? No. You may be attracted to a game because of the graphics, but you play because of the gameplay. All the media-release press-package photoshopped screenshots in the world will be instantly forgotten as soon as you play the game and discover what it's actually like to play. Case in point - Halo 3. Wonderful looking game, gorgeous screenshots - and absolutely average gameplay.

DF is the game that you wish developers made if they had invested their money in gameplay instead of licensing the newest whiz-bang graphics engine and coding nothing but graphic shaders.

And what if Toady decided to shift the engine to CUBE (or Ogre or Irrilict, or whatever you want to throw around)? It would be a nightmare. The vast majority of the engine would have to be re-written, and I can speak from experience that coding something for 3D is far more complex and time-consuming than 2D programming. If Toady dedicated all his time to just making DF 3D, then we wouldn't see another release with any gameplay features for at least[i/] 2 years, I'd guess. Now, I know Toady's a math genius and all so he'd be comfortable with matrices and quantarions out the wazoo, but like he's said before, he's not a trained coder, and it takes packs of trained coders years to create a working 3D engine.

And then what? Well, there's all the content. Everything has to be modelled in 3D, have their textures drawn, the shader code written. Have a look at the default content that comes with DF. Hundreds of unique creatures, plants, workshops, clothing, and perhaps the most diverse and comprehensive terrain and environment system known to gaming. Now, a decent modeller will take about 2 weeks to model a single character. Animation for the basics (walking, running, idling, attacking) may take another week. Texturing another week on top of that. Multiply that by a few hundred and you've got transferring content alone taking a few years.

I could go on and on, but really...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5