Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assignable Workshops  (Read 624 times)

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assignable Workshops
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:34:00 am »

Assigning workshops to specific dwarves could be an improvement both in gameplay mechanics and entertainment value.  On the one hand, If you have a few carpentries like I have, I kind of want the carpenters to stay close to the workshop I want them in, say one next to the residental areas making beds and one next to storage areas maing bins and barrels.  It helps assign a sort of priority to your jobs while still having two shops going.  Also, I'll have a better idea of exactly where each dwarf is where, as they will be in their own workshop or close to it.  As for the other bit, as we can now mess with job titles, a "Royal Chef" that only worked in the kitchen you built for the king's dining room (something I, at least, am likely to do) would be hella tight.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Assignable Workshops
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:58:00 am »

This would be good for making sure lucrative jobs are done by legendary craftsdwarves too
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>This would be good for making sure lucrative jobs are done by legendary craftsdwarves too</STRONG>

Omg, yes!
This way you can have a general carpenters shop to create basic wooden items, and then have a carpenter shop assigned to a legendary carpenter to create ulta-high quality beds for the Nobles /other Legendary dwarves.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Doctor Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:21:00 am »

Oh yes. This would be awesome! Right now what I do is only assign Craftworking to my legendary guys and when they have to sleep production stops. (although this isn't so bad since they produce this stuff faster than Taiwan.)

[ August 29, 2006: Message edited by: Doctor Zero ]

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is already in the future development list, Toady has mentionned it several times.