Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Computer  (Read 167826 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Computer
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 11:03:48 am »

I bow before greatness of this project! Please, keep us updated or we will die in sorrow.

See now, the story of the original computer "bug" was a moth in the computer. So does that mean if you find an elf in your dwarf computer, does that make your problem an "elf"?

I completely agree - we must wait for the first prototype. What will cause the first unexpected error, it is!
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:14 am »

I expect great things from this. This always reminds me how much of a newb I am compared to the rest of you.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 11:48:19 am »

Now the question to blow your mind:  Will it be able to play Dwarf Fortess?!
This is a €computer monitor€. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The monitor is displaying an image of a rabbit in pixles. On the head of the rabbit is the image of a pancake. The pancake is screaming.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 12:00:37 pm »

If not Dwarf Fortress, at least make it capable of playing PONG.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 12:01:06 pm »

Wood is no problem at all. The computer is being integrated into my current megaconstruction, so I have stuff like plumbing and a giant tower cap farm already. In fact, I recently harvested around 500 logs to make bins to temporarily store blocks for some other part of the build (It cuts down on hauling time). That was only about a quarter of the farm.

Well now that I have very detailed blueprints, completion of this project is only a matter of time and fps, which has been down by half since the completion of the main tower.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

It's also a matter of not assigning a single wrong linking job out of the 1369++.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »

Now I'm tempted to start up a game to build a computer in DF that can run DF, and in that, make a computer that can run DF and run DF. And then pass around the save. of course, if I manage to get it to work, it would probably be incredibly slow. I think dwarven computers should probably run in kilosteps for speed considering delays.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 03:44:10 am »

EPIC, I approve!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 04:19:48 am »

I've always wanted to build a Dwarfless Fortress, which is to say, a fortress that can somehow automatically kill any siegers indefinitely, and every so often pump their remains/items via high velocity current into a treasure vault for storage. Sadly, I don't know anything about Dwarf Computing, so its beyond me.

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »

Hmm, interesting. A fortress that - once someone throws THE lever - automatically kills all living creatures inside it (safely storing their remains) and then kills everyone who might ever wander in after them.

Will you call the fortress Shodan? =)

That would one-up all doomsday devices. Everlasting, uncaring doom. Fascinating! =)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:57:27 pm by Gazz »
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »

I've posted my site onto the map archive. It shows the designated areas for the various components. Hopefully this is an acceptable preview of the final computer. You can also see why wood is absolutely no problem at all.

I'm going to try to minimize the amount of stone produced so I'll be using access tunnels rather than just clearing out the entire space. 

EDIT: I just discovered that my liaisons are dead. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I turned off invaders. It's possible they died of old age. Anyone know how I can revive them?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:19:48 am by Jong »

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »

Was it necessary to build a scale Space Needle fort this project? ;)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:44 am »

Holy crap...you've never studied computer science and you came up with this?  :o  I applaud you, sir!
This is some hardcore computer engineering...you might want to seriously look at going into the field if you like doing this for fun.

KG

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 12:12:30 am »

yeah, I'm marking this for further copying study later. Well done!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:45 am »

Armok be with you!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11