Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Computer  (Read 167422 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Computer
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »

Now the question is: can you build a computer capable of running dwarf fortress within dwarf fortress, then build an 8 bit computer in the dwarf fortress running on the computer in dwarf fortress. Because if so, you would win all the internets.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:17:14 pm by alway »

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »

Not possible until we can run DF on supercomputers with 16x16 (or bigger) embarks.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2010, 06:45:08 pm »

You are fucking amazing. This is one of the, if not the greatest megaproject I have ever seen.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2010, 07:26:15 pm »

Not possible until we can run DF on supercomputers with 16x16 (or bigger) embarks.
Probably need a bit more than that. How much memory does DF eat? 1gb? 2? And how many tiles does a hydroputer memory cell need? 12? 16? Anyway, it will need a lot of tiles to map those roughly 10 billion bits.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »

Probably need a bit more than that. How much memory does DF eat? 1gb? 2? And how many tiles does a hydroputer memory cell need? 12? 16? Anyway, it will need a lot of tiles to map those roughly 10 billion bits.
And considering the amount of processor power DF actually needs, I suspect your DF-in-DF computer might end up running at something less than one frame per in-game century or so.  You probably wouldn't even get through world gen before the original builders all died of old age.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »

It doesn't actually have to feasibly run it... Of course it would be so slow (probably over a year of real time, constant running to render 1 frame of the intro, let alone the game) as to be impossible to actually play a game of it. However, even the potential to run it would be awesome, despite in practice being silly and un-workable. The very idea of using the systems in a game to emulate the machine running the game is what makes it awesome, not actually running it.  :P

Meteorswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:54 pm »

We would also need to adhere to a processor standard.  If we could convince Toady to compile to a simpler architecture (like MIPS, which is what I used in my hardware class), it would at least be feasible to build.  Trying to build an x86 processor would probably only end in sadness.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »

I. I... I think you... There aren't words for this. But you just... I don't know how to describe this. It's incredible. You went along the "Holy Crap this is Awesome" meter, took a piss at Mongol conquering, munched on the Pyramids, and kicked the Apollo missions in the balls. The level of awesome in this makes me cry.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48:46 pm »

This must surely be one of the--- SEVEN DWARVENWONDERS OF ALL GENERATED WORLDS!

( Sorry for the Capitalis Romana tendencies. But they're supposed to follow monumental creations. )

---

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:27 am »

My hat off to you sir! A most fine spectacle, and an enduring legacy.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2010, 09:47:13 am »

This is the single most amazing thing I have ever seen to happen in any sanbox game ever. Now, when people will ask me "What can you do in DF?" I can finally say "Anything."
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2010, 11:21:45 am »

I have often been amazed by the various megaproject thread on this board.

But this ... this is just beyond awesome, beyond the very definition of it.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

Possibly the greatest achievement in the history of Dwarf Fortress! I don't even have the words to express this awesomeness.

Mesona

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 02:13:39 am »

I usually just read the forums, but I felt the need to actually make an account simply to say that you, sir, are amazing.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2010, 03:00:23 am »

Madman. That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11