Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Always Water  (Read 1652 times)

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
Always Water
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

Water is an iffy one. The way I see it, there should ALWAYS be atleast one infinite source of water on every fortress.. weather its fixing the ponds so they replenish.. or an aquifer.. underground river.. river.. brook.. something!

and I mean, like a check when you embark, that looks at your selected area, and if it finds no renewable sources of water, it arbitrarily adds one.. (if aquifer, only a small one to one side or something)

I made a fortress the other day, that dehydrated completely... didnt have any water what so ever after the ponds dried up.. was foolish of me.. :P but yeh.. booze doesnt always cut it..

The New Moo!

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Re: Always Water
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

i dont know how else to say this so try not to take offense... this is dumb.

Now i can see a check list that you mark with must have water, must have trees, ect then it gives you a list of viable spots. of course the resorces would have to be visable. i just dont think its a good idea to just add something to a map that doesnt have it.......

Although if someone could make a hack that would do it then go for it.

and as for the dieing of thirst bit. iv done that so many times since the multi level versions(its funny when that happens).

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Zulaf ]

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Well it's your own fault for not having enough booze for your dwarves.  Maybe you should be able to import full waterskins or set up a rain-catching system so your wounded dwarves don't die, but you can survive without water pretty easily.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

and when it takes water to make booze? :P

I'm not as dumb as you think... -chuckles- I keep seeing the comment tossed around that booze will take water... well.. >.> this owuld make some locations completely unplayable.. (which currently are rather fun)

yeah Ive screwed up on the booze a few times.. they died of thirst... but when this is added.. its going to sevearly limit the number of places you can play, unless you can import many many many barrels of water cheaply.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Neskiairti ]

The New Moo!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:09:00 am »

When it takes water to make booze you can just import booze. Not every starting site has to be perfect you know?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neskiairti:
<STRONG>
yeah Ive screwed up on the booze a few times.. they died of thirst... but when this is added.. its going to sevearly limit the number of places you can play, unless you can import many many many barrels of water cheaply.
</STRONG>

Importing water is an interesting idea.  What happens if you start a fortress on a river, divert the river to a different edge of the map, and then abandon and start a new fortress adjacent to that one?  Do you get a new river?  Because if so, you can use a series of temporary fortresses to build an aqueduct out into the middle of the desert, and then build Dwarf Vegas.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

There's no reason for every site to have everything.    This is why you get to select your own spot.   This is why some locations are rightfully somewhat inhospitable.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:00 am »

Try the following real life experiment:

1) Go to a desert, with six of your friends
2) Try to set up a self-sufficient community
3) All die horribly.

Yep, it looks like there isn't water everywhere in the real world either.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

As it is at the moment, water-less booze is the only thing that prevents the majority of the map from being unsettleable. More often than not I come across forests that have loads of pools of water in them, yet I know that if I settled there I would have to rely on booze to get anything to drink at all.#

While I think deserts and the like should be short on water (importing barrels sounds fun) I do think that any undisturbed (ie, un-dug-into) murky pools should re-fill whenever it rains.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

yeah, there are alot of 'fun' areas, that wouldnt be any fun since your dwarves would die out almost immediately.. and importing booze doesnt cut it :P if im lucky, i get 2 barrels of each booze some times.. I cant live a whole season on that :P especially when i have 40+ dwarves..
The New Moo!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

Cmon! Once rain generates water, you could create a gigantic water collection device out on the desert floor, and when the yearly rain comes along, you gather a supply of rainwater that has to last you for the rest of the year...

Wouldn't that be awesome? And should the rain be unreliable and not come for a year or two... well, losing is fun!

Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by irmo:
<STRONG>Importing water is an interesting idea.  What happens if you start a fortress on a river, divert the river to a different edge of the map, and then abandon and start a new fortress adjacent to that one?  Do you get a new river?  Because if so, you can use a series of temporary fortresses to build an aqueduct out into the middle of the desert, and then build Dwarf Vegas.</STRONG>

The map isn't quite that...modifiable.  You'll be able to aquaduct your water over one region tile (all 16 local tiles) however, once that far you'd never get it onto the next tile.

Assuming that water keeps flowing in your aquaduct when you shift over a local tile to keep working.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

There were, of course, reasons why nobody ever settled into an area with no water at all. They're kinda like oceans, in that they lack something that's rather vital to survival. Nobody's asking to autoplace islands on ocean squares, are they?

...Though I would like to see the auto-placing of a boat. In which case some kind of prenegotiated booze shipment seems not all that unreasonable.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

dwarves go in mountains.. generally, mountains have no water :P unless you get lucky with an underground river.. but the fact still stands.. currently we can do alot of fun places.. with water and booze working 'properly' alot of those places owuld not be playable.. even in a fun 'i know im going to die, but lets see how long i can last' way.. since without fluid refreshments, your dwarves die quick and get almost no work done.
The New Moo!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

Booze isn't a problem as long as there are humans to trade with. I hardly ever venture out of contact with them because they are the alpha and omega of my fortresses' survival. I maintain a token plump helmet production, but pretty much all my food and booze is imported. Most of my raw materials too.

Lack of water is, however, a problem. Lack of other raw materials that can't be imported, such as glass, is another problem too. My fortress designs often revolve around glass blocks.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: [1] 2