Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pulleys  (Read 3466 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Pulleys
« on: November 21, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

Probably been suggested and might be on the dev list but I haven't finished reading through it.

A pulley would be a great new mechanical tool to add functionality to a fort, a new trap method, new mobility etc:

Things you could do with a pulley:

A crane to move boulders, barrels, maybe even whole workshops

An elevator down a verticle shaft, allowing dwarves to ride to/from their destination levels

A trap to raise and lower heavy objects to extreme heights/depths, then trigger on a pressure plate to drop an object, etc

I'm sure there are plenty of other things you could do with a pulley as well.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pulleys
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

That would be awesome, not to mention very dwarvish. Plus, you could hook them up to a source of power to make them automatic. (sort of like we do with screw pumps now)

Also: Ropes you can tether to things would be nice. Horozontal pulleys, sort of.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

Pulleys or mechanical powersources would be required for drawbridges...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

Indeed. In the case of drawbridges, I suppose pulleys are abstracted into the "mechanisms" used. Though that could be broken down... Especially if you want to make really interesting traps and stuff.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

Indiana Jones-style wall of crushing spikes, anyone?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

The problem with elevators (and many of the other things suggested) is that dwarves won't be smart enough to use them, at least not for a while yet.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

If DF was made with the Siege engine, it wouldn't be a problem. I think.

The general idea is that an elevator would have to be either manually operated (meaning player-triggered), or replace the stairs - for which I see no reason whatsoever currently.

A manually operated elevator would work like this - player orders a level pulled - lever is cunningly located in a niche accessible only from elevator - dwarf pulls lever - elevator closes and starts moving - dwarf panics - dwarf gets unhappy - dwarf tantrums - dwarf throws one of his socks - elevator is destroyed - dwarf is 21 levels above rock floor - dwarf *splat*.
Or with a happier ending.  :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

You guys are all worried about gameplay and powerleveling and being the most happy dwarves etc as if it gives you some kind of bonus ...

I don't care if 4 dwarves get crushed and 1 goes crazy every time the elevator gets used, it's all in the name of the FORT!!

Also, its just for fun :P

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »

if you can do it in a well then why not with a dwarf?

I don't care if stairs are better then elevators in DF, it would still be fun, and you could make lifts like they have at construction sites allowing you to move a bunch of things up a ton of levels without having a fortress full dwarfs make a million trips to haul all that magnetite up.

A manually operated elevator would work like this - player orders a level pulled - lever is cunningly located in a niche accessible only from elevator - dwarf pulls lever - elevator closes and starts moving - dwarf panics - dwarf gets unhappy - dwarf tantrums - dwarf throws one of his socks - elevator is destroyed - dwarf is 21 levels above rock floor - dwarf *splat*.

losing is fun
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:00:13 pm by darkrider2 »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:13 pm »

A trap to raise and lower heavy objects to extreme heights/depths, then trigger on a pressure plate to drop an object, etc<P>
[/quote]
Urist McCyote cancels hunt: Ordering new trap from Acme

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 02:48:08 pm »

Indeed. In the case of drawbridges, I suppose pulleys are abstracted into the "mechanisms" used. Though that could be broken down... Especially if you want to make really interesting traps and stuff.
Yes, actually, I believe that's the plan.

To the OP:  There are two very helpful things that help with searching for past suggestions - ctrl + f (dev page) and the search bar (old threads - searching from the currently viewed board makes it look only through that board).  You don't need to read through the entire development page or comb through the entire suggestions subforum.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »

You people do realise this thread was just under two years old, right?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:10 pm »

Necro is better than making another topic.

I approve, by the way.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:44 pm »

I think most of this is/was covered in the existing "Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist" thread. I approve of diversifying the mechanisms as well.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:44:35 pm »

Moveable tiles FTW, they are required for this sort of stuff, oh and for giant elf killing tank fortress turtles tortoises.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: [1] 2