Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brook Daming  (Read 1281 times)

Blakeman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Brook Daming
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:09:18 am »

I was wondering if I dam up a brook if it will back fill the valley it flows into? I have a biome where the brook froze so I was able to dam it up, the downstream side of the brook has dried out but the upstream side is still within its banks and hasn't overflowed into the valley it occupies. Will it eventually or will it remain a brook?

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: Brook Daming
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:24 am »

It will remain brooked...but you can pump water out of the brookstump into a valley and hope for the best...like me =P
I dont know if it will just go back into the brook loop and disapear...but my guess is no...since my experiments with frozen brooks tells me that brookstumps generate water and barring evap it should theoreticly fill in with enough pumps...left continually on...maybe.

But barring flow into the old water runoff on the map edge, and evap it should stay.

But it wont self fill.

Ask river dammers, if a river will backflood...for if the damn stuff even does.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:21:04 am by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Blakeman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:28 am »

Would channeling out the entire valley where I want it to fill including the brook help the odds or just make a lake on that level?

If I would have known I needed a full on river to backfill then I would have picked a different site.....  :(

My plan was to have a dam upstream from my fortress and just kill all the caravans that come to me (including mountainhome, screw em I have the best Dwarves) in the hopes that I would have prolonged sieges and lots of warfare via me drowning them in torrential floods.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:52 am »

I had a plan to turn all my mountainy rock tiles into muddy rock tiles...and see if stuff would naturally grow on it.

And dig a underground river cave that emptied into a chasm...and a lever that would flood the surface, and one to flood the fortress.

You can tell where the first went yourself... the second is several thousand ramps and diggings past the seige I'm currently under.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:19:11 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:33:38 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.