Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Free ideas, fresh from the Infinite Inspiration! Get them while they are hot!  (Read 5195 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

So, I've noticed people around here have lately posted ideas for games or books, and acted as if this was impressive and they expected people to jump all over them. My general impression of most creative media is that ideas are a plenty and people capable of implementing them are much rarer, but I could be wrong...

So, I decided to make this thread again (because the one I made a year or so ago was poorly worded and got derailed).

Are you planing to author a game, book, movie, painting, webcomic, or any other kind of work of art or fiction? Do you lack an interesting idea to base it around, have a good idea but not the surrounding details needed to make the world seem alive, or a simple writers block? Would any kind of idea or inspiration help you in any way?

My part of the deal: just post your problem here, together with a rough estimation of your abilities, relevant surrounding details, and a wish-list of what you'd want want for effects or elements in your work. I will if I find it interesting throw out a few ideas. if they are more complex than a sentence or two, and one seems to you like it might work, we'll chat about it or something. Say what you want about me, but having ideas is something I'm good at.
Your part of the deal: I get to see my brainstormed idea turned into an actual, finished product.

What do you say?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:12:30 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to clarify, will you do all the thinking or will this be a giant forum think-tank for people's ideas?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

The main point of it is for others to make requests for ideas for a certain situation or having certain properties, but if someone else get a flash of inspiration they are free to respond to a request even if they are not me. Do however avoid to post some detailed idea you had yourself and don't need help with, or ideas that you think someone maybe might need in the future but nobody have requested yet.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile

this seems to me like a very thinly veiled request, that bluntly formulated is:

"Please write a book about this idea I have in my head"
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a bit harsh. I see no reason Armok can't try and work with someone to help them better their idea.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

"Please write a book about this idea I have in my head"
No, because I expect requests to be much more specific than "I want to write a book but have no idea what to write about", I expect things like "I want to write a book in [genre] what shuld have this and this and this element, but I'm not sure how this would work in that case" or "I'm making a game about X, and I have this and this and this race, but I need two more in the same style, and they need to have this feature for balance, any ideas?"
Also, I don't expect books and games, more likely RPs and webcomics, and perhaps some tiny localized aspect of some larger project.

If I DO get more general request, that's great of coarse.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

Okay Armok, I'll play your little game...

I have meat creatures.
They look like fauna.
Probably to disguise them from giant evil sky villains.
If I wanted to add in more creatures, of a different variety,
 then I'd have to add in new varieties of fauna.
And I figure that the creatures and associated fauna should tie in somehow,
 like the seeds and creatures both act fairly random and all over the place.

Drop some ideas, and I'll pick out what I like and don't like.

P.S.: There will be no time travel, sorry.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile

I'm hesitant, but here is an idea which needs tightening and breadth.  I want to create a roguelike that has basically no skills or attributes.  Instead, skills will be weapon/armor-based, and improvements will be lateral shifts instead of direct upgrades.  Breakdown:

Weapons:
-Weapons can belong to any number of classes - i.e., a baseball bat would be MELEE, BLUNT, CLUB, and SPORTS
-Wielding a weapon would give you access to its special skill - i.e., a baseball bat would auto-parry thrown weapons like rocks and grenades
-Using the weapon would give you experience in that skill, and once you "level up" you can then use that skill with any related weapon, defined by the class of the skill - i.e., the baseball bat's auto-parry could be used by any other CLUB weapon
-If a weapon isn't distinct enough to warrant its own skill, it won't get included.  There could be multiple baseball bats, but I want each one to be distinct in both its combat properties and its special skill.  Skill overlap might be acceptable in rare circumstances.
-Potentially, cross-training between related weapons should go faster.  That way the player is compelled to focus on one quasi-subset of weapons.

Armor:
-This would work similar to weapons.  Armor has associated skills which are learned when "used," whether that means wearing it for a certain amount of time, or taking damage, etc.
-Armor would appear in sets, kind of like complete costumes.  Or maybe not.  I'm leaning towards the former for simplicity.
-Lootable from the appropriate monster type - baseball uniform from baseball player etc.  There could be related armors, like baseball uniform, baseball coach, umpire; with the same rules about being distinct enough to warrant the variety.

Levels:
-Each level (or set of levels) would have a theme, a setting, etc.  Pirates wielding lightsabers and snowman with frickin' lasers in the alleys of a prohibition-era city should be possible.  I'm not going for consistency or randomness here, just that pure chaos in the middle.
-Special "vault" levels would let the player store any particularly nice items they came out with.  This may be persistent between games, so you can start with a special load-out.
-The goals of levels could vary, so it doens't become a "race to the finish" scenario.

Inventory:
-Minimal.  Carrying more than a few weapons should be discouraged.  Ammo for different weapon types will be tough to handle, so there may be some abstract types like "machine gun ammo" and "rifle ammo."   Recovery items should be themed appropriate to the level scrounged from.

Overall philosophy:
-Rule of three would probably be best.  Three enemy types per theme, three weapon/armor variations, etc.  This wouldn't be so much a rule as a guideline - if I can't think of three ideas, I probably haven't developed that idea enough, and if I can't par something down to three ideas, then I should either make some cuts or break it down into more categories.
-The game should be fast and fun.  That's not to say that playing a stealth character or a sniper should be discouraged, just that every playstyle should be facilitated and not suffer from additional complexities.  Major inspiration here is DoomRL.
-Magic isn't totally out, but I can't think of a good way to implement it without breaking other design philosophy.  Help?
-Difficulty will hopefully be dynamic, scaling to how well the player is doing.  This would take some advanced algorithms, but sound like fun to implement.
-Things like counter attacks should be more interesting, with different ways to redirect combat based upon weapon and armor type.

So that's all I can think of right now.  I think it has potential, but there are a lot of mechanics which I am clearly divided on.  Anything you could suggest, whether it be overarching design goals or simply weapon/armor skills, would be appreciated.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

@Outcast Orange: I assume this is for Cloudscream?
Anyways, I've got a REALLY great idea, but it's probably a fair bit bigger and will take longer to implement than one might prefer. but when it is done, it will be worth it and it will be AWESOME.
Spoiler:  spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

@Bricks:
Hmm, I'm not actually sure what you want help with. Other than that you seem to have very much ideas for detailed mechanics and not so much for the overall goal and feel of the project. Considering all the crazy stuff you want in, a cartoonish style might be the best bet. Also, continue your current trend and make everything abstract and symmetric and slightly gamy, rather than try to strike some compromise with reality. This is more advice than new ideas, really.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I just wanted to see what sort of response that would get.  Gamy is definitely how I want this to be - I've got some ideas for a realistic game, but that would mean developing some sort of plot, so for now I just want to make a sort of "playground" game.  Anyway, this is all dependent on me finding some way to develop this.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

You know Armok,
 a lot of those ideas are genuinely good.

I was planning on random creature attributes,
 but at the moment there are too few attributes for it to be cool.

I like the multi-tile idea.

I just got a bunch of ideas based on your ideas.

Thanks dude!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Bump.

Nobody at all?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

Maybe you can throw out some possible ideas for the mythology of my game.

I'm still not sure which way to go with any of it,
 and now that there are sounds in,
 I need to start considering these things.

My RL rating team suggested animal-like sounds during HFS attacks.
I'm not sure why, but I'm practically against the idea.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Deon's here!
I am developing a Warcraft 3 map, here're basic concepts:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50013.0

I need better ideas and details for each "stage": which advantages, workshops and enemies should be avaliable on each stage.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Alright Armok, I think I've got a "book" idea worth building off of.  I have a concept, and I know I can do the writing if I put my mind to it (fat chance, but I can always hope), but I'm letting myself get stumped out of actually starting the writing process because I don't know where I want to go with it.  Which is kind of a crock anyway.  I know from experience that once I really get started, I find all new ideas to carry on with.  But the point is, I stuck at the start, because I (believe I) need a more specific plan.

Now, I've got some rough character concepts in mind, and the main character is more or less whole.  I know the setting well enough, I've got some set-piece scenes I want to use, and a philosophical issue or two to explore.

Two prefaces before I elaborate.  One is, I don't care if this story is good.  The point isn't quality, that'll come on it's own.  The point is to teach myself some goddamn work ethic so I can move on to things I do want to be good.  The other is, how familiar are you with Warhammer 40000?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2 3