Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Free ideas, fresh from the Infinite Inspiration! Get them while they are hot!  (Read 5188 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

@Orange: That sounds awesome! I have some general ideas, I sent you my skype adress and we'll discuss over that, possibly writing something up tomorrow if we don't get time.

@Deon; still pending. Havn't goten throguth the topic yet, once I do we'll probably discus over steam. If you havn't gotten anything by this time tomorow I have probably forgoten abaut it, in wich case you just need to remind me.

@Aqizzar: Sounds good! I'm not all that familiar with 40k, but I think I've gotten the basics from forum RP around here and general osmosis of ambience in various roleplaying communities.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread tickles me with irony

Also, I've played with asci lab and despite my statements otherwise I keep thinking of ideas that I just can't break down.

Give me a roguelike idea with a very simple base.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

in response to the roguelike.
Jelly farming. There are red jellies and blue jellies, when they move onto the same square they explode. You can keep them from getting near each other by smacking them, they are propelled some distance away when you smack them and they have a chance of dividing.
The great game of Warlocks!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Whats ironic?
Also, either that request is a conradiction or I have gravely misunderstood the defenition of rogelike or I mave misunderstood the defenition of simple base. I thought rougelike was defined as an RPG with low grapics, procedural generation, and being very deep. Simple base reuires low complexity, deep requires high complexity.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

Whats ironic?
Also, either that request is a conradiction or I have gravely misunderstood the defenition of rogelike or I mave misunderstood the defenition of simple base. I thought rougelike was defined as an RPG with low grapics, procedural generation, and being very deep. Simple base reuires low complexity, deep requires high complexity.
Roguelikes come from an ASCII game called Rogue. Apparently the defining characteristics of a roguelike include:
  • Replayability
  • Permadeath
  • Low graphics (ANSII/ASCII, usually)
  • Turn-based
  • Procedural generation

He may mean a simple plot or an idea.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile

yo, armok, i think a god could help me with this.

i want to write a story based on DF. i have some characters thought out, with names and basic personalities, but i have NO idea for a plot or anything. characters:

mabdug ulolanam: queen of the dwarves of urist nom. is very pushy, thinks all other dwarves at her fort inferior, and has a plan for every possible situation that could happen at her fortress.

osnun snuspngom: goblin invader sent to conquer urist nom. cynical.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

@Eerr: Hmm, so being fantasy and many RPG elements is not needed for it to be a Rougelike? Hmm... that gives me an idea, hehehe... Are you familar with celular automata? ... hmm, in fact, this could posibly have some plot conections to some stuff I talked to Orange about for cloudscream... I think we need a realtime chat for discussing this.

@Dwarfguy2: I have a vague idea, not any details yet. I'm thinking a highly contrived political plot with heel face turns and xantos rouletes abound, taking place mostly in a labyrinth of oldd mines and caves that the goblins tried to invade throughout. Something highly complex from a game theoretical prespective, where for some reason the different sides can't simply kill each other outright. Pherhaps involving elements of war of attrition, but perhaps not. (As you can see, mostly no details yet, but you can see if you think it sounds promising from these applause lights hopefully.)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile

maybe if i post what i've written so far it will help...

Mabdug Ulolanam sighed as she sipped sunshine from her artifact platinum mug. She listened as the puny slave reported the news to her. “The goblins have escaped from the zoo, your majesty. They already managed to take down a cat,” he said.
“Yes, yes, well, direct them to the cat chambers, I like my free butchery work. After that, mobilize Tosidokbod to finish them off,” she responded.
“Yes, your majesty”.
Mabdug then decided that she would get some sleep. Tomorrow was the first of spring. The elves were coming. Thank goodness that her giant clock mechanism flooded the depot with magma for her.

Osnun Snuspngom was cold, wet and tired. He was supposed to bring down some fortress in the far north that had set up a tiny system of forts to pump magma from one end of the world to the other. Maybe small wasn’t the right word to describe it.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Hmm... I think my idea was vague enough that it's still compatible. If you have a better one of course use that instead. I don't think I know enough about what you want to archive with the story to help you much more for now, but maybe I'll think of something.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Lets see what you can think of for this:

I'm currently working on a scrolling shooter engine, a system I'll (in theory) be able to easily adapt to any graphical style or difficulty, with the ships/levels/story sequences/weapons all stored in something similar to DF's raw files, though the weapons files are a good deal more complex.

Anyway, after I've got it finished I'm planning to use it to create a game set in a computer system, using using geometric shapes for the ships and backgrounds(sorta like geometry wars). The only problem is that I have no idea what to use for the story apart from the fact that I want the player to be a hacker, fighting some threat to the cyberspace-like system he's in. I need to figure out who/what the villain is, and why the player is fighting them.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is actually a good thread, I'm very glad that others are throwing ideas out there. Others besides just Armok, I mean. No offense to Armok.

Give me a roguelike idea with a very simple base.
in response to the roguelike.
Jelly farming. There are red jellies and blue jellies, when they move onto the same square they explode. You can keep them from getting near each other by smacking them, they are propelled some distance away when you smack them and they have a chance of dividing.

In this same vein, you could make it so it's kind of like a NetHack clone, but centered around pudding farming, and with more DFish construction (like, tunnel out a room, install a door in it, that kind of thing), and probably with a town and a safe level or two to excavate and farm puddings in. The town could have rudimentary things that help out (a food store, a store to sell the pudding products, an equipment store, a store that sells crates to capture live creatures/puddings in, etc), and you could need to go down into the dungeon to get different types of molds, oozes, puddings, and slimes to farm. And you could scale down enemies and traps and all that so it isn't about getting a buff character so much as it's about farming puddings. Like Harvest Moon with horrible little blobs crawling everywhere! You could call it Extreme PuddingFarmer!

Maybe you could feed dwarves to the puddings.

Also, I don't have any advice to offer, but I love that idea, Bricks. You could play Barkley Gaiden if you need basketball related jokes or something like that. There's some cool stuff in there. Making it all about equipment sounds like it'd be a really fun idea, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:14:11 am by inaluct »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

@Dragnar; Ugh, I hate scrolling shooters and hacking dosn't eor that way! There is no way I'm touching that project with stick!
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets see what you can think of for this:

I'm currently working on a scrolling shooter engine, a system I'll (in theory) be able to easily adapt to any graphical style or difficulty, with the ships/levels/story sequences/weapons all stored in something similar to DF's raw files, though the weapons files are a good deal more complex.

Anyway, after I've got it finished I'm planning to use it to create a game set in a computer system, using using geometric shapes for the ships and backgrounds(sorta like geometry wars). The only problem is that I have no idea what to use for the story apart from the fact that I want the player to be a hacker, fighting some threat to the cyberspace-like system he's in. I need to figure out who/what the villain is, and why the player is fighting them.
If you want an experience most people can relate to, the enemy could be the admin behind the filtering system in a high school.  That doesn't seem to have the right mood however.  Maybe you could be the owner of a popular website and some bored people are trying to vandalize it. Maybe you could be a librarian and someone is trying to erase records of certain books.
The great game of Warlocks!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

and hacking dosn't eor that way!
No, but it does in movies/video games. I'm a computer science major, I know hacking is really a very boring process, taking a huge amount of time, but that doesn't work well in a game setting. Besides, it's less "hacking" more a Tron-like computer system.

Winner: Eh, maybe, but I really want something on a larger scale. Hmm, maybe some sort of cyberspace mercenary doing various jobs.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Dragnar; Ugh, I hate scrolling shooters and hacking dosn't eor that way! There is no way I'm touching that project with stick!

This is a really, really funny quote if you take the time to think about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3