Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dont pull the floor out from under you  (Read 1023 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dont pull the floor out from under you
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by KiTA:
<STRONG>I particularly loved losing random children to floor destruction when I was trying to un-do a few squares of floor on top of a magma pit.    :)</STRONG>

Orr...the pit filled with aquifer-water.
/me lost a miner that way.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

heh, i just posted the same problem before finding this post.  Dwarves may be dumb enough to wall themselves in, or dig channels that leaves them stranded on a tiny island, but please let them remove a floor while not standing on it.
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

How it should work: When a square has a dwarf assigned to it to remove the floor, either through removing constructed floor, or channeling, or any other method, the square on which a dwarf could stand that will be caused not to be a viable standing space by the job, will be automatically marked as forbidden, causing any dwarf or dwarves on the tile to immediately vacate it, and preventing any others from moving into it or pathing through it.

How it currently works: The dwarves are falling.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>This basically makes it impossible to remove floors currently.</STRONG>

Not really.

Personally, I build a floodgate on top of the floor before ordering the floor removed. Once it's removed, there will be a floodgate and a rock (or whatever) floating on the tile. Dismantle the floodgate and the rock falls, but the dwarves do not since they were never able to stand on the floor tile.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>Not really.

Personally, I build a floodgate on top of the floor before ordering the floor removed. Once it's removed, there will be a floodgate and a rock (or whatever) floating on the tile. Dismantle the floodgate and the rock falls, but the dwarves do not since they were never able to stand on the floor tile.</STRONG>

And if you want to remove say a 5 x 5 area, you have to babysit the whole process, building a floodgate on each of the 25 floor tiles one by one. (unless you wanna build a whole bunch of floodgates for that purpose)

Reality is for people who lack imagination

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Just pretend the dwarves are the three stooges and it becomes a fun problem.
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nordo:
<STRONG>Just pretend the dwarves are the three stooges and it becomes a fun problem.</STRONG>

Only if you have a very masochistic idea of 'fun'.

The channeling needs to be fixed, too.. I usually actually have more of a problem with that than with floors. Usually if I construct a floor, I do it for a reason and with forethought, so I'm not getting rid of it. Digging channels is problematic a lot, though, since dwarves love to sentence each other to death by digging holes underneath their fellows..

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>Digging channels is problematic a lot, though, since dwarves love to sentence each other to death by digging holes underneath their fellows..</STRONG>

That's easy to prevent, though, by designating only every other tile, then when those are dug, the other ones.

Removing floors on the other hand is difficult to make safe.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

There's an even easier and safer way than the "checkerboard" method of designating channels. I describe it in detail in this thread I made: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=001132

Basically, it boils down to digging out lots of stairways, then channeling the stairways out from the top down. Much safer than just using the channel designation. There's also another method in that thread that uses just digging ramps to channel instead of channeling. Both have their merits, but the "ramping" method is faster. Hope this helps you out.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>

And if you want to remove say a 5 x 5 area, you have to babysit the whole process, building a floodgate on each of the 25 floor tiles one by one. (unless you wanna build a whole bunch of floodgates for that purpose)</STRONG>

Exactly. That seems like a really awkward workaround. Wouldn't it be easier to just have the dwarves not remove floors that are currently being stood on?

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

Just as a addendum to the original suggestion. Only dwarves with the masonry activity highlighted should be responsible for removing floors and walls. It not only makes more sense, but it also prevents dwarves that aren't masons from wasting time (which is far too long, IMO) removing buildings.

By the way. The time taken to remove things compared to building them is far to long. Building walls/floors should take longer and removing them should be shorter. At least both should be equal on time. Just as an example, masons that recently worked on my house took one week to build a brick wall and only one day to remove another.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

I suppose it depends a little on if you just want to knock the wall down, or if you want to be able to reuse all the materials. But yes, it could do with a bit of rebalancing, perhaps...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: 1 [2]