Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Field Inventory  (Read 1051 times)

emissary666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Field Inventory
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:41:11 pm »

I keep running into the issue of bringing a gun or a crowbar. I feel like there should be some way to bring along things like the crowbar and spraypaint as well as your weapons, like a secondary weapon slot or a backpack. If an 8- year old woman who just disposed of three SWAT members with her fists can carry three MP5s, 9 clips of MP5 ammo, and three SWAT armors, I see no reason why a 20 year old gang member can't carry a crowbar and a pistol at the same time.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Field Inventory
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »

The best way to do it would probably be to make tools have a separate tool slot in the inventory, and only have them be used as weapons if and only if a more acceptable weapon is not in the weapon slot.
!!&!!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:54:57 am »

I have realized that door bashing when wielding guns is always (?) successful. However, a separate tool slot would perhaps be nice.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:14:01 am »

Now, it USED to be that your squad inventory was maintained even when you returned to the safehouse, and you'd juggle items between squads and safehouse stocks, and saunter into buildings with an armory stuffed down your pants -- including a crowbar, which would be automatically used even if not equipped. I've been pleased that removing this hasn't had a significant negative effect on gameplay, but you've nailed the place where it's most problematic, and that's tools.

I think the solution I eventually want to see here is to get a secondary weapon slot added, with crowbar, spraypaint, or one-hand weapon capacity. So you can have a secondary pistol, or a knife, or similar in that slot. This would be the "weapon not in hand" slot which people wouldn't see, and you could swap between using your primary weapon and your secondary weapon at will.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:28 am »

That would leave us with a problem - trenchcoats can already hide pistols and shotguns. With these additions, any gun could be concealed regardless of clothing?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

I think the way it would ideally work is that what you can put in the secondary slot is determined by your armor. Short of that, it would be limited to small one-handed weapons. When you swap which slot you're using, your main hand weapon remains visible. Trenchcoats could continue to have special handling concealing some main hand weapons, perhaps.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:28 pm »

base it of item size?

small being: hanguns,Spraycan,Molotov,Knife,Chain
mid size being:Shotgun,MP5,Nightstick,Crowbar
large item:ak,m16...

Clothes have two spaces of a set size that item can be concealed in.
bigger items can't be concealed.

i.e. street clothes 2 small items concealed.
Trenchcoats 2 mid size concealed.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

emissary666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »

A trenchcoat concealing 2 mid-size objects would be a bit broken
"Dammit, I'm out of shells, good thing I still have ten clips of MP5 goodness"

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:07:45 am »

trench coats dont protect really well though

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:51:19 am »

I don't think it'd be too much of a problem, since you aren't likely to burn through ten clips of ammo on a mission in the first place. ;D

And if you do, and still happen to have whole second weapon under your trenchcoat, more power to you, Neo and Trinity.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:02 am »

the idea was one gun and a melee weapon/tool just to make it easyer to code.

trench coats don't have armor but can conceal bigger weapons.
body armor is armor over concealment.

not
"Dammit, I'm out of shells, good thing I still have ten clips of MP5 goodness"
but
"Dammit, I'm out of shells, good thing I still have this machete/crowbar"
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

emissary666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »

I don't think it'd be too much of a problem, since you aren't likely to burn through ten clips of ammo on a mission in the first place. ;D

And if you do, and still happen to have whole second weapon under your trenchcoat, more power to you, Neo and Trinity.

Strangely enough, half of the time I run out of ammo before dying. I just am really lucky with combat.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

I've never had trouble running out of ammo, then again, I only fight with 15+ rifle agents and or founder, which means it takes about one round to decimate half or more of my opponents.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

luck you ,i end up with 50+ base guys that just sell drugs and fight off the law.
when thay all have m16s you never have any ammo for them.

and it costs a bomb to buy more ammo $50x9X50 = $ 22500 and guns,armor,and legal costs.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 04:39:15 am »

Well, imagine having 2 guns per member. $45000 in costs, oh dear.
Pages: [1] 2