Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: DF WIKI ADDRESS CHANGE  (Read 8448 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF WIKI ADDRESS CHANGE
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »

DragonFable as dfwiki.com
Dwarf Fortress as dfwiki.net

Hurrr. No chance of this becoming even slightly confusing.

What, for the 10 people that play both?

I think the greater concern would be people trying .com and failing.  Afterall, nearly everything is a .com or .org.  I personally can't think of any .net addresses that I've seen in the least several years that weren't e-mail of some form.

I strongly favor the magmawiki address, mostly for sake of clarity.  It won't be any easier to remember than the old address, but it won't be any harder either.  And totally averts the confusion mentioned above.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »

I personally can't think of any .net addresses that I've seen in the least several years that weren't e-mail of some form.

dwarffortresswiki.net comes to mind.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »

I personally can't think of any .net addresses that I've seen in the least several years that weren't e-mail of some form.

dwarffortresswiki.net comes to mind.

Honestly never paid that much attention to that detail.. probably because I've never actually typed the address myself before.  I still strongly stand by my statement that it's rarely used for this purpose. Even if it may be uniquely helpful to existing DF players due to history, it's still troublesome to newer users or those who wouldn't normally rely as closely on the wiki as some.  We really ought to think about expansion of the community.  I still feel that df.magmawiki.com facilitates this better than dfwiki.net.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 03:45:01 pm »

I can't CNAME the whole domain, so you'll need to configure Apache to understand that it may get NamedVirtualHost requests as "dfwiki.net/info/org", otherwise they get the blank page that magmawiki.com gives.

dfwiki.info is an example.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »

I've been getting 502s, 504s, and just plain the server not responding tonight.  Is it related to those problems you couldn't pin down?

Edit: Seems to be working now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:41:48 pm by Malicus »

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 11:35:32 pm »

Me gets 504...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44