Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What disguises fit where?  (Read 3120 times)

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What disguises fit where?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 03:33:43 am »

Another main factor of sword damage is that you can keep applying force once you've hit someone. A bullet's momentum starts decreasing once it has left the barrel. A sword you keep pushing on. If you compare the actual amount of energy, a sword has by far more.

That seems like a reasonable approach. Masks would thus be a way to reduce the amount of heat and the criminal sentences generated by an action, but would not get you completely off the hook. The tradeoff would be that you aren't even in disguise when in public, and masks have no armor value. A couple of the other armor types should have the same rules applied.

Seems utterly sensible. Perhaps overuse could get heat associated with the masks? (Point break comes to mind.)

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:23:32 am »

9 mm pistol round has a mass of about 8 grams and a velocity of 358 m/s. That's about 512 Joules.
I can't find sword swinging statistics, but I'm guessing it's around 2kg with velocity 30m/s. 900 Joules.

So I'm guessing rifles and shotguns have higher energy than swords.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 12:50:27 pm »

I don't have any idea on the relative energy of a bullet and a sword, to be honest. It's not as much of a factor for a bullet though, since most modern guns over-penetrate the human body, which means they're wasting a good chunk of their energy blowing holes in whatever is behind the person getting shot at.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »

I don't have any idea on the relative energy of a bullet and a sword, to be honest. It's not as much of a factor for a bullet though, since most modern guns over-penetrate the human body, which means they're wasting a good chunk of their energy blowing holes in whatever is behind the person getting shot at.

As I see it, Liberal Crime Squad is a game. It's only good to have tastefully exaggerated things, like high juice liberals being nearly bulletproof or having nearly superhuman swordsmen fighting off the national guard and their bombers.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »

As I see it, Liberal Crime Squad is a game. It's only good to have tastefully exaggerated things, like high juice liberals being nearly bulletproof or having nearly superhuman swordsmen fighting off the national guard and their bombers.

Oh, I agree. The point of this entire discussion isn't to say how things work in LCS; it's a tangent about real world physics inspired by discussion of the fact that swords in LCS can do more damage than assault rifles.
Pages: 1 [2]