Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion: New identity  (Read 757 times)

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: New identity
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »

This is an idea I've had. Some of you might not like it, for the reason that it would make the game easier, but I think it'd be a cool feature.

I think there should be ways to change your character's identity. Like, fake documents, or hacking CIA records, or plastic surgery, or all of the above.
I'm not sure, but I think that this happen in real life.

So, anyhow, you've just broken a high ranking LCS member out of jail. Probably had to kill dozens of conservative swine on the way out too. So now everyone has huge heat and the national guard is after you.

Any way of actually keeping your man out of jail? Or does it end up that the situation just continues escalating more and more until your squad is either wiped out or you accumulate a lot of sleepers and disband the LCS and wait for win condition? Or do you just leave them in jail to rot?
My point is that currently, there is not all that much motivation for rescuing an LCS member from jail. I think that currently, you're better off just leaving them there and ignoring their absence.
I think there should be some way of resetting their rap sheet, cleaning their slate. Or at least make it so that the police stop chasing him!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: New identity
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:36:01 pm »

you have to fight them in the courts to clear your name.
brakeing out of jail aways puts you down as guilty.
try moveing safe house often,helping old ladys across the road.

get a cop suit and a 9mm handgun and have some one with good Disguise and Security keep it at a safe house,have them brake in to court to free the squad
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:44:25 pm »

I -think- it's possible to defeat the escaping prison charge now. If that's not the case in the latest release, at least it should be for next release.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »

Eh. So what happens? David X gets tried for Murder, sentenced to Lifetime Jail... then we bust him out of prison, killing a bunch of cops on the way... then we get the safehouse raided a few times, escalating into the national guard... then I suppose sooner or later we surrender?
Best case scenario is that we win in the courts and everyone goes free.... except David X I suppose? Erm. What I mean is, does busting him out of jail mean that his previous Lifetime Jail sentence no longer applies? (I haven't tried it... don't blame me! There is no save and reload function in this game, so it that makes experimentation and testing a big no-no!)
I mean, in real life, if someone was in jail and somehow escapes, he get's tossed right back into jail when he's caught, right?
What happens in this case?
So, what happens to David X if he is found innocent of escaping prison charge?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »

Due to the way the game handles criminal charges, he goes free. It's not the cleanest solution, but it was quicker to code and it beats an impossible to defeat life imprisonment charge for breaking out a founder who was only in for three months in the first place.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »

Oh, ok. Thanks.
So, basically, if you have 4 sleeper judges (like I do in my current game), and you manage to abolish the death penalty, in the event that your founder gets a life sentence, just attempt a jailbreak... then surrender to the first cop that crosses your path instead of fighting your way out.
a) Found guilty of jailbreak. Repeat above until you get result b).
b) Found innocent. Profit!

Is that basically what I can expect to occur?

I have no issues with how it currently works. I ask purely because the wiki doesn't have it, and LCS does NOT encourage experimentation and finding things out through trial and error! (no save and reload function, so if you screw up, you've lost hours and hours of gameplay and perhaps near unique successes). In other words, I ask purely so I won't accidentally do something which makes my current game in a horrible position or something.
The current incarnation of the game is great fun. Thanks mate!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »

Well I don't know if the jailbreak charge is beatable in the current version, but even if it is, I seem to recall reading it is very hard to actually do so.

So, your founder may very well die of old age before beating that jailbreak charge.

I usually don't worry about jailbreaks until someone gets the death penalty.  Then I free whomever is on death row, which in the current system forces me to free everyone else also.  It's good for the issues also.

I should also mention that I'll send a squad to rescue a member on death row even if the action will most likely lead to one or more squad members dying, and the prisoner was a low-skill recruit who was captured on their first outing.  It's just the liberal way.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:59:35 am »

I'll give you a moral pass if you decide to back up your save (by copying save.dat and renaming the copy, so you can revert back if it screws up) and see what happens with the prison charge, as long as you post the results here. It's for science! I can't promise it won't ruin you if you don't back up the save -- EuchreJack's right that it was difficult to impossible at least as of a few versions ago, and I'd have to dig up the release version source code to tell you for sure if it's any different now.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:14:56 am »

Save, replays and experementation are for people who have played LCS over and over and want something different.

For me, I'm still in the "playing for fun" stage... I played LCS a few times many years ago, won the game twice or so. DLed again recently and boy did the changes radically effect gameplay. Juice? Guitar squads? Dating? (yeah, I last played really long ago). Still haven't won the game as of picking it up again. Had a few squads die and disband and such.

Basically, getting distracted from "normal gameplay" at this point would ruin my gaming experience. I'll get all technical and stuff later on, once I've beaten the game a few times...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 07:26:54 am »

No worries, that's fine.  ;D