Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple Magic  (Read 1573 times)

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Simple Magic
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

Here's an idea for magic that could just be modded in (right now probably).

I'd try it, but I don't know how to mod (hehe)

Anyway, instead of making a race, caste, or other qualification that makes someone "magical" by default, make it a weapon.

Say  a wand perhaps. Take the template of a crossbow, mod out the requirement for ammunition.

Change the fired projectile to somethning with a high melding point, or something, so that it will disappear after a few moments (long enough to hit a target). 

Change the required skill to "Magic" or "Wand Use" and make the time it takes to level INSANE.

Do wahtever modding required to make wands and such accessable.

Now, every once and a while, a dwarf with magical ability will come to your fortress. Since it would take a hundred years to train one from scratch, you have to depend on one just arriving, unless you want to train one, in which case, magic school.

You could mod the time it takes to train to be less insane, so you have a bunch of sorcerers ready to defend your fortress.

All that needs to happen is making the crossbow use a different skill, have a different name, and change the projectile setup.

The only thing that I'm not sure is possible is the projectile setup. Maybe someone with more modding experience than I could suggest soemthing?
Meowth! That's right!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:05:43 pm »

This can, and has, been done.

Check, uhh.... Deon's Genisis mod, I think? I know his old Middle Earth mod had this in it as well, but that was back before 40d. I'm putting the exact thing you describe (must rely on migrant for use) in my WotR mod, as well.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »

Maybe you could also mod in breath attacks in some way to be magical aswell.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:12:00 pm »

As they are, I don't see how breath attacks could not be considered magic. I mean, take fire breath, make it blue and call it lightning, and bam!- Star Wars mod.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

As they are, I don't see how breath attacks could not be considered magic. I mean, take fire breath, make it blue and call it lightning, and bam!- Star Wars mod.

There is a lot in Dwarf Fortress as it is that could be considered magic. Whenever someone refers to magic they usually refer to either enchanting or spells.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:31 pm »

There is a lot in Dwarf Fortress as it is that could be considered magic. Whenever someone refers to magic they usually refer to either enchanting or spells.
Oh man, enchanting..... don't get me started.

I plan on putting enchanted weapons into my WotR mod. Essentially, logs are made into paper. Paper + gems = runes. Runes + weapon = enchanted weapon. Enchanted weapon = dramatically improved stats and whatnot.

Sooooo many custom reactions, materials, workshops, it makes my brain hurt just planning it out.
(That's why it's "I plan on putting" and not "I already put")

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:12:48 pm »

This can, and has, been done.

Check, uhh.... Deon's Genisis mod, I think? I know his old Middle Earth mod had this in it as well, but that was back before 40d. I'm putting the exact thing you describe (must rely on migrant for use) in my WotR mod, as well.

Well I'm glad someone put it to good use.
Meowth! That's right!