Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird postsiege enemy animals and cages problem.  (Read 981 times)

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird postsiege enemy animals and cages problem.
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:38:04 pm »

So siege is over, there are Drakes in cagetraps left and bones of goblins/kobolds everywhere...relief. I have 1 month for getting wood before next siege...

Cages are hauled to animal pile, kennel operator tames drakes..and PROBLEM.
I am .b.uilding cages to free tamed drakes, trying to free drakes....and weird thing happens, dwarf is hauling ANOTHER cages and places these drakes into it.
Drakes are simply replaced into other cages, not freed...
No other animals have such problem(i mean no other wild/tamed animals).
Am i missing something?

Sorry for my english..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:41:32 pm by xoen »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Weird postsiege enemy animals and cages problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:45:21 am »

Heard of something like this before. I forgot what caused it, but you can solve it by ordering the annimals to be put in a pit. Alternately you can link their cages to a lever.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:27:55 am »

Were these drakes mounts? Like, were they being ridden by the goblins? IF so, they'll probably try to kill your dwarves and/or run away if you release them.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:05:27 am »

Were these drakes mounts? Like, were they being ridden by the goblins? IF so, they'll probably try to kill your dwarves and/or run away if you release them.

yup, they were mounts.

you can solve it by ordering the annimals to be put in a pit. Alternately you can link their cages to a lever.
Indeed, good idea, need to check if drakes are still hostile, interesting.
Thanks, guys.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

I've seen a similar issue when merchants are ambushed and leave behind cages with animals in them. The animals stay marked as 'merchants' and so not only do they cause the dwarves to act strange about releasing them like you described, they also prevent the traders from that civilization from coming back until they can get off the map.

The solution is to pit the animals, and in my case allow them to leave the map. In your case you probably just want to pit them into an arena for hammering practice or something like that.

Oh a lever works too, I just chose pitting because the logistics were easier for a dozen cages.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:56:10 am »

I've seen a similar issue when merchants are ambushed and leave behind cages with animals in them.
Hmm, interesting, indeed lots of merchants perished while that siege(they did not want to stay in my safe fortress, so i opened passage for them to prevent trouble in fortress(they are going mad if they are not able to leave after while)...poor beings were surrounded by 40+ mad goblins(on mounted drakes) soon, many merchants died that day...i think they had drakes from previous siege that i sold to them year ago.
Sounds plausible.
Btw, i may be wrong but i had siege with kobolds mounted on ...black dragons, things gone ..BAD FAST(whole map was burning, 36 dwarves died that day, lol, LUCKILY, no tantrum spiral, awesome). Base was totally unprotected, merchants walked in on map, and..kobolds..RAN away. Weird.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:02:24 pm by xoen »