Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Foot Soldiers System (Text Game Framework)  (Read 5100 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foot Soldiers System (Text Game Framework)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »

Squeegy, if I could get your permission I would like to use this system to start either a forum game or play live on Gametable or something similar.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »

Oh you guys. This system is open for use by anyone for anything, but the most up-to-date version is here. If y'all would be interested I guess I could give this thing one more shot.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 04:42:52 am »

Bumping this thread again to reveal its grim visage to the new world of FGRP. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 05:04:46 am »

this thread could be made in the game !

i want to play something badass , but always when i open the thread the game has already started and it has 400+ pages of other battles and shit .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

If you want to play something badass, Foot Soldiers is not for you! Badassery is hard won in Foot Soldiers, wrested from the hands of thousands of enemies fallen before you, and it's far more likely you will falter and die long before.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:11:35 am »

Thought of a couple new things, which may just be updates you made since I posted last.

1: It doesn't say how many XP you need to gain a level. 100?
2: You don't explicitly say how items are identified. If someone finds an iron dagger, does he know it's not a steel dagger? What about a bleeding potion? I suggest making up side effects of potions for yourself, so if someone tests one they can try to identify it.
3: It doesn't say about non-combat skill use, but it seems like you still roll 11+ on d20 to succeed, modified by skill bonus? That is, high-skill people tend to bandage in one turn while unskilled people can take multiple turns per bandaging.
4: Again it isn't explicit, but it looks like when you learn a skill you gain it at +0 (removing your -1 unskilled penalty) and then subsequent skill gains in it give you bonuses.
5: Might want to put the armor defense die roll in parentheses for people who can't untangle 5-10 (d6+4 I suppose).
6: The power roll, while novel, doesn't seem needed since the damage roll exists to show how tough the hit was. The attack roll can be used for a fumble / critical resolution (such as your 1- / 19+). Removing one die roll per combatant might not seem like much but it really helps in large fights.
7: I suggest a potion that you pour on armor to strengthen it, similarly you could pour on weapons, and it effectively upgrades the item to the next higher level. Poured on a person's skin it grants a 10 HP buffer which is taken as damage before your own HP and can't be healed (so it's a temporary effect). Quaffed the potion acts as a powerful laxative.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:37 pm »

1: It doesn't say how many XP you need to gain a level. 100?
Intentionally. That's up to the DM. But 100 is standard.

2: You don't explicitly say how items are identified. If someone finds an iron dagger, does he know it's not a steel dagger? What about a bleeding potion? I suggest making up side effects of potions for yourself, so if someone tests one they can try to identify it.
Also up to the DM, though usually material is obvious unless it's non-standard (at least, I've never run a game where it was necessary), and they just roll an Identify Use check to find out a potion's use, or quaff it.

3: It doesn't say about non-combat skill use, but it seems like you still roll 11+ on d20 to succeed, modified by skill bonus? That is, high-skill people tend to bandage in one turn while unskilled people can take multiple turns per bandaging.
Yep.

4: Again it isn't explicit, but it looks like when you learn a skill you gain it at +0 (removing your -1 unskilled penalty) and then subsequent skill gains in it give you bonuses.
Nope, it's +1 and up unless otherwise stated. Some skills are just harder to do if you don't know anything about them.

5: Might want to put the armor defense die roll in parentheses for people who can't untangle 5-10 (d6+4 I suppose).
Okay.

6: The power roll, while novel, doesn't seem needed since the damage roll exists to show how tough the hit was. The attack roll can be used for a fumble / critical resolution (such as your 1- / 19+). Removing one die roll per combatant might not seem like much but it really helps in large fights.
That would be up to the DM. The power roll makes combat a lot more variable and fatal, in my experience.

7: I suggest a potion that you pour on armor to strengthen it, similarly you could pour on weapons, and it effectively upgrades the item to the next higher level. Poured on a person's skin it grants a 10 HP buffer which is taken as damage before your own HP and can't be healed (so it's a temporary effect). Quaffed the potion acts as a powerful laxative.
Feel free to add it if you ever run the game! As it says on the post, 'all of the rules here should be subject to careful scrutiny and changed as needed to fit the game.'
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:23 am »

So I'm redoing this system as I type it up into .pdf form, in order to format it like an actual tabletop system and make it less confusing and more consistent to run. I plan to run another game of it when I'm done with that. One of the things that's bothering me is the combat system. I don't like the "50% chance to hit, then roll to evade" thing. I don't feel like you really have a 50% chance of hitting someone. However, if I make it so that you have to roll higher than your opponent, shields and especially bucklers are now shit. Any suggestions from you guys?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2]