Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Rewind: Lego Island 2  (Read 2898 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Let's Play Rewind: Lego Island 2
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:11:13 am »

The following is a monologue. It adds much to the LP, but you may skip it if you are in a hurry without being left dazed and confused.

This was one of my favorite childhood games. I recently bought a four pack at half price books that included both Lego Island and Lego Racers games- mostly for my little sister. I figured I'd play it again to see if it really was a good game or not, and the results were liable to be LP-worthily hilarious. It's worth noting that I already replayed both of the Lego Racers games, which were very solid for their time, and had fun even given the child-scaled difficulty (which I recall being fun and challenging when I was a member of the target audience). But this runs a little deeper than old nostalgia- perhaps it warrants a bit of explaining.

While I liked Lego Star Wars when it came out, I have in later days come to rue it as a sign of the popular move from PCs and what is now called "Hardcore" gaming, towards consoles and casual gaming design philosophy. I haven't liked all this new-fangled stuff as much as the old ways. Now, Lego Island and the newer Lego <License> games run a distinct parallel. They are both adventure games, based around walking and collecting things and solving puzzles, and occasional vehicles. But the older one is far less casual (I think) or at least less accessible. It doesn't try to sell on sheer quality of graphics, or falsely claim to do something new (this is when those new things were actually being done). It also is built around the fun, wacky old Lego theme I adore, where characters (in the first Lego island at least) can pop their heads off and play hide and seek with their bodies, among tons of other brick-related shenans. The model in Lego racers for the blimp, even had a product number on it just like the real thing.

So basically, I've always seen these as the old, traditional PC games. But are they really better? Or as good as I thought they were? Is that first statement a tautology? We shall see.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Rewind: Lego Island 2
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:42:19 am »

Post 1

Ahhhh... nostalgia. We start out with the old Lego intro I remember so well. Although I'm already tired of capitalizing that L, I might just give up after a while. The entire game is in a pretty low resolution- the happy side effect of which is small, forum-friendly screenshots without any resizing artifacts!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The intro movie too is chock full of lego blocks and silly sound effects- instead of describing it, why don't I just link it? I'll periodically use Youtube vids here- some of which I might make, and some of which will just be found, like this one. It seems to be a more popular subject than I thought, or at least was. But god dammit, you're here because you like to read your games! I will try to keep noisy shenanigans to a minimum.

Now, we start off by talking to our old friend the Infomaniac. Apparently he has lots of information. You know. Like smart people. They always have information. Yes, he's a really corny character, they all are. They're sort of supposed to be.

...now, normally this would be where the show hits the road, but for some reason after the opening splash, Printscreen has begun to totally fail.

I'll get back to you.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:27:38 pm »

Hey, where'd you get this game?  An old copy, or a Steamlike?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »

I used to have the first Lego Island, it was pretty awesome.  I always played as Pepper, that stupid kid that delivered pizza.  You could change the sky and for some reason changing it to blank white always scared me, it looked really ominous.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:45:29 am »

I got them in a pack at half price books. I've found them a lot more interesting than gamestop lately. I'd had them before, mind, but sold 'em in a garage sale.

Now that I'm less sick, this may continue if I can find a way to do a bloody screen capture.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:01:31 pm »

All Hail The Brickster!You Can Never Resist The Power of The Brickster!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:29:41 pm »

All Hail The Brickster!You Can Never Resist The Power of The Brickster!
Well, except by shooting pizzas and donuts out of a helicopter.

I'm going to try and play lego island 1, see if that'll let me screenshot.