Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)  (Read 23583 times)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:15:15 am »

Yeah, sorry about that.  I've been busy.  Talltower's not dying just yet.

It's been almost five months, but hey, it finally happened!  This version is using my Ice Mod, which allows you to smelt frozen water into ice for construction and the like.  For the extra lulz, no part of the map gets above 0 degrees.

For those unfamiliar with the Talltower Game, check it out here

If you don't want to read the 27 pages of madness, here's the skinny:
Quote from: Talltower Rules
Every year, a player chooses a floor in the fortress.  During their year, any construction, with the exception of stairs, must occur on their floor and their floor alone.  You may use preexisting facilities on other floors (e.g. mason shops, craftsdwarf shops, etc), but any new workshops, floors, or walls must be constructed on your floor.  However, the community floor is open game and free for all to screw with as they please.

To the veterans, I listened to your requests, and here are the highlights of the new region:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once again I ask:  Any takers?

------------------The List-------------------

Turn|   Name        |    Floor
 #1 | crash2455     |      7 
 #2 | DemonicSpoon  |     -1 
 #3 | Orb           |      8
 #4 | Legolord      |      9
 #5 | Retro         |     10
 #6 | CrimsonEon    |  (active)
 #7 | Samus11111    |
 #8 | 100killer9    |
 #9 | filiusenox    |
#10 | TerminatorII  |
#11 | DemonicSpoon  |     -1 
#12 | Coronel_Niel  |
#13 | Retro         |     10
#14 | Legolord      |      9
#15 | crash2455     |      7
 #? | Japa          |  (waiting)

Notice on turns:  I will send you a message when your turn comes up.  If you do not respond to that message within 24 hours of my sending it to you (or say in any way that you are playing), I will allow the next player to take your turn.  You will not be kicked off the list, just bumped down one spot in line.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:13:37 pm by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:27 am »

I'd love to get in on this, though not for the first few turns, I don't think. Maybe turn 5.

Also, I (possibly) recall that part of the old rules were that your level could either be the next one down OR the next one up - for the sake of making the tower epically tall, could we limit the frequency of up:down from 1:1 to maybe 3:1 or 4:1 or something similar?

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:20:57 am »

Maybe.  It's going to take a turn or two of downward movement to supply ourselves with building materials.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:31:20 am »

Yeah, heh, last time we just went down pretty much.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:46 am »

Ah, heck, I'll take turn 4.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:13 am »

what about a rule that digging downwards can only be used for raw materials, and all actual building has do be done on a level above ground?

also, I'm in.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:16 am »

Oh, this looks fun. :)

Everything has to made out of ice, or is that just an option?

Also, sign me up for the next available turn.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:44:03 am »

what about a rule that digging downwards can only be used for raw materials, and all actual building has do be done on a level above ground?

also, I'm in.

This sounds pretty good.  If dwarves start dying due to cold, then maybe I'll allow some stuff underground.  Also, any downward digging should follow the general shape of the tower and try to level out the rest of the plain.

It would be preferable if your additions to the tower are made from Ice, but considering that our only source of water is an underground river which will have to be pumped to the surface in a very careful fashion (so as to avoid accidental mid-level freezing), it may take a while for that to happen.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:45:44 am by crash2455 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:47:19 am »

Oh yeah, dwarves can die from cold, I should mention.  But only if they aren't well-dressed for the weather.  We'll need a good cloth industry.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:53:16 am »

It would be preferable if your additions to the tower are made from Ice, but considering that our only source of water is an underground river which will have to be pumped to the surface in a very careful fashion (so as to avoid accidental mid-level freezing), it may take a while for that to happen.

Hmm, since I dont play around with UG Rivers, this might be a silly suggestion. Anyway, wouldnt it be easier to have channels going all the way down to the UG River, with a bridge covering the channels? Raise the bridge, mine the ice out, lower the bridge, let the water flow through, raise the bridge, mine the ice out, and so on?

Also, I dont think freezing dwarves will be a problem as long as we dont leave them outside for quite a long time. I never encountered the problem myself. If its a big deal, I recommend having my year preprepared for clothing, since I havent got to doing clothing industries yet, just got the animal industries tested.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:55:53 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:58 am »

Looks like our starters are well-dressed for the weather:

I'm not entirely sure how you wear gloves over mittens, but they've figured out the secret.
Hmm, since I dont play around with UG Rivers, this might be a silly suggestion. Anyway, wouldnt it be easier to have channels going all the way down to the UG River, with a bridge covering the channels? Raise the bridge, mine the ice out, lower the bridge, let the water flow through, raise the bridge, mine the ice out, and so on?

Unfortunately the game isn't that smart (dumb?), and any water that isn't subterranean just freezes (I think).  Plus if we pump it to the surface we can start trying to cast mazes out of it or something.  We will pull off sub-zero water features.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:58:23 am by crash2455 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 01:05:24 am »

Yep that's right.  I actually have a mental blueprint for a large icefarm accessible only from the underground, though, as it so happens.  Here's how it works:

1)Row of channels 1xA tiles, where A is variable.  Make it go as deep as possible.
2)Just below the surface, to either length of the deep channel, up/down stair cases going from the bottom of the shaft up to just below the top of the channel.
3)To the opposite side of each level of staircase, there are floors.  The floors have 1-tile thick drawbridges acting as floodgates, all linked to the same lever.
4)There is then a water access tunnel that connects to the drawbridge area on each floor. 
5)Pull the lever, let water fill the deep channel (and consequently freeze instantly).
6)Pull the lever again once the channel is full of ice, then mine the ice.

Of course, this raises the problem of getting the ice to a place where it can be processed without it melting.  This can, however, be dealt by digging out entire areas (such as the aforementioned stairwell) going all the way up to the surface and replacing the necessary portions with constructions.

It should work, but I've never worked up the patience to test or even build it.
Just so I remember

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 01:09:48 am »

Hmm, maybe I didnt explain it well. If you channel from the surface to the UG River, it makes that portion of the UG River "outside"(Check breaking an aquifer with cold temperatures on the wiki). We mine the ice out, and at the very top of the channel(surface), theres a raised bridge. We close the opening, and its concidered underground again. We "channel" the outer blocks of ice that touch the unfrozen water from the land accessing the UG River, and the water flows through. Raise the bridge, and the water freezes.

Building Mazes with pumps would work, but the pumps would take a while to set up. I believe my method is fast and easy.  :)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:13:21 am »

Yep that's right.  I actually have a mental blueprint for a large icefarm accessible only from the underground, though, as it so happens.  Here's how it works:

1)Row of channels 1xA tiles, where A is variable.  Make it go as deep as possible.
2)Just below the surface, to either length of the deep channel, up/down stair cases going from the bottom of the shaft up to just below the top of the channel.
3)To the opposite side of each level of staircase, there are floors.  The floors have 1-tile thick drawbridges acting as floodgates, all linked to the same lever.
4)There is then a water access tunnel that connects to the drawbridge area on each floor. 
5)Pull the lever, let water fill the deep channel (and consequently freeze instantly).
6)Pull the lever again once the channel is full of ice, then mine the ice.

Of course, this raises the problem of getting the ice to a place where it can be processed without it melting.  This can, however, be dealt by digging out entire areas (such as the aforementioned stairwell) going all the way up to the surface and replacing the necessary portions with constructions.

It should work, but I've never worked up the patience to test or even build it.

I believe the Ice Mod allows room temperature Ice.

"Edit" Im actually going on this quote, so im not too sure that means room temperature.

Also upped the melting point of ice, as ice armor would melt as soon as a dwarf equipped it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:16:58 am by Orb »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 01:18:08 am »

Typical, start a new topic while I wasn't paying attention, gimme a turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16