Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Adventurer - Dwarf fortress needs a roleplaying game!  (Read 10150 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer - Dwarf fortress needs a roleplaying game!
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 07:44:29 am »

Pardon me but, in my opinion, Dwarf Fortress already is a roleplaying game, in the purest sense of the term.  You, as the player, can truly play the game however you wish, and behave in any way which fits the character, or, role, you wish, in a FAR more detailed manner than most gamed dubbed "RPGs" by the gaming gods. 

True, DF is an rpg, but the OP is referring to a tabletop rpg, not a computer game.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 09:36:18 am »

The other major problem would be Wrestling/Grapple rules. Wrestling is a big skill in DF, and I don't particularly like the way its handled in any system I've played. Even DF is complicated, it just gets noticed less because the computer does all the math and opposed checks and such for you.
Grappling rules, you say?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »

Don't go Gurps. Gurps is horrible. At least there are no vehicles to speak of in DF.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 11:06:12 pm »

The other major problem would be Wrestling/Grapple rules.
Grappling rules, you say?

That's actually what ran through my mind when I thought of it. Hooray for sub-rounds!

Hm, did DM of the Rings do a grappling joke? I know they did AoO's...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:10 am »

That's actually what ran through my mind when I thought of it. Hooray for sub-rounds!

Hm, did DM of the Rings do a grappling joke? I know they did AoO's...
He wanted to. And even set it up, but ended up with Attack of Opportunity instead.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 12:00:04 am »

Haha those strips are awesome! Those grappling rules make me die inside. Thank god we've never used them.

As mentioned, it will not be a GURPS ruleset. I dont ,like how GURPS plays at all.

ALso the toughness is a mistype, i was thinking of a different calculation when i wrote that and it slipped my mind. ill go back and change it. It is not just used for bp, but as one poster said for toughness checks for unconciousness, pain etc.

About encumbrance its going to be handlen get aroud very abstractly with more of a space system than calculating weight. While i havnt worked out the full mechanic, ive thinking of a way i cand hat. I know its a problem - it was terrible in traveller, didnt bother with it either.

Depending on the perosanlity score of the character, it will influence the dies final result. For example, lets say you have a character that has the top level of will, and always gives into uncontrollable urges. The gamesmaster can choose when  the stat would need to be used, and then would either say it would be a positive or negative characteristic. Lets say, in this case, the character was trying to intimidate another character. A more forward willful personality would be useful, so this is used as a positive modifier, opposed to the character trying to resist.
However, if the character was trying to resist frenzy, that predisposition would obviously be a significant negative modifier. In this way, it allows us to separate the individual player characters easier rather than jsut simple social, intelligence, or will statistics, things that cant be as easily as explained by one stat like physical characteristics. The system keeps it simple but gives the characters more of a feel.

Sorry if there are any mistakes. THis was typed early in the morning and my colour scheme makes the words invisible.

Hopefully thats been of some use.

Ill continue working on adventurer after the current semester finishes in about 2 weeks. Lots of revision to do!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:06:16 am by Deathbane »
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 10:58:28 am »

GURPS has awesome character creation rules, and the skill system is also not half-bad.  Unfortunately it went for a very primitive essential stats system, and combat is phenomenally tedious.

Seriously, if you're going to do "Slaves To Armok: God Of Blood: Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress: The RPG: The Colon: The best punctuation character: Ever" then it seems kind of obvious you'd need to use DF's mechanics.  The world setting certainly isn't stunningly original.

I hate to be negative but I just don't see it as a tabletop RPG.  Maybe a hybrid system requiring a laptop for the GM, but I've never heard of success stories there either.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 11:42:19 am »

being and avid Pnp player (Yes D&D hate it or love it it's still the Pnp that defined everything, even though it wouldn't seem like it after WotC raped it into submission. I also played Shadowrun, and a very short stint of V:tM) I like the idea of a locational damage system, however the  Abstract for unimportant, and the Heavily Detailed for player worries me. If you got a damage system you should try and link them together. 
For example a player might aim for the right Arm of a goblin in hopes to chop it off with a sword, but didn't quite get it instead leaving it say... a major wound and it is only stated as a major wound by the GM (one that should cause bleeding).  But then a goblin did the same attack, same effective roll to cause the same damage with a sword,  and on the Adventurer it's a major wound that causes bleeding, the character to drop his weapon, while take a few penalties for the rough state he is in. 
Seems kinda unfair, but maybe I'm reading how you'd handle Important characters/NPCs and Random Encounter people...
I get that it would be lots of data for mass unit tactics, but if you got the Mass Unit type combat then there should be a different system for that as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]