Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 104271 times)

Thalic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

Great work!

I have some problems exporting maps from the map generation screen though ("p" on the map generation screen):
The created bitmap file seems to be the correct size but is filled with tiled screenshots of the map generation screen instead of the map:

http://tinypic.com/r/2nkuntg/6

The issue occurs with the standard settings as distributed.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »

Alright, so while doing my tests I ran into a very strange FPS bug(?). The FPS changes wildly even when paused/on pause screens (like Status).

For the 2D modes, the FPS counter never goes about 16 or 17 FPS, while my game runs along 9-10.
For PARTIAL:0, the FPS is going insane while paused. It'll spike to 10000 FPS (my cap), then shoot all the way down to 0, then up to 1000-2000, where it cycles to 1000 and back to 2000 a bunch of times, then all the way back down to single digits then shoots all the way to 10000 again.

Prior (and expected) behavior has the FPS counter hitting the FPS cap and sitting at it. Since typing this my pause menu FPS has "stabilized", and is sitting at my cap as expected.

edit: From what I can tell it's not the actual FPS but the counter that's acting strange. Sometimes it'll "smoothly" descend from a four digit FPS to double digits (such as pausing and unpausing). Other times it'll "teleport"...it'll go from, say, 4383 to 12, without any steps inbetween

Also, my first few tests show a drastic decrease in FPS. Went from around 16-17ish to 10-11 in certain modes. Again, this is all with a "mature" fortress.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:34:41 pm by SirPenguin »

Thalic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »

They are also apparently horrible at 2D acceleration, which comes at somewhat of a surprise. I wonder what's up there.. could be my fault.

According to an article on Tom's Hardware, the current drivers for ATI cards have some issues with 2D acceleration. While the article mainly talks about Windows GDI acceleration, I guess that it could also have an impact on other things. No idea if it would also impact Linux.

Part 1:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

Part 2:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2547.html

Just thought I mention it  :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »

edit: From what I can tell it's not the actual FPS but the counter that's acting strange. Sometimes it'll "smoothly" descend from a four digit FPS to double digits (such as pausing and unpausing). Other times it'll "teleport"...it'll go from, say, 4383 to 12, without any steps inbetween

Also, my first few tests show a drastic decrease in FPS. Went from around 16-17ish to 10-11 in certain modes. Again, this is all with a "mature" fortress.

Interesting.  Baughn recently changed the way the counter itself works, so maybe that's the issue.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:24 pm »

Mine goes to super high sometimes too.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 02:44:51 pm »

Zared: No, opengl modes were messed up in d17. But it's nice to see the optimizations in d18 also helps people. :)

Oh, I wasn't clear.  When I said "the first time" I meant the D17 thread.  In there I had Windows getting a few more FPS than Linux, but that must have been a mistake on my part, because now I'm getting the same FPS in Windows vs. Linux for D17.  And the same for D18, same FPS in either OS.  Pretty close to each other, too.  D17 seems slightly faster, but it's hard to say...it's a laptop, and I think the CPU clock is varied depending on heat buildup.  I know it seems to slow down in any game whenever the fan turns on ;)

But yes, it's nice that double buffer modes don't have "stuck" tiles flickering anymore. 

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 02:45:17 pm »

Interesting.  Baughn recently changed the way the counter itself works, so maybe that's the issue.

Indeed, he changed it for the Linux HEAD version I had tried on my desktop, and the counter was working just fine on that OS.

I'll try 18 on Linux sometime later today. Or maybe right now. I'm feeling motivated!

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 03:18:37 pm »

Keybound Issues:

in world gen parameters: Increasing and Decreasing values with the numbers 6 and 3, respectively, increase and decrease the numbers when entering in values.

IE: when changing volcanism occurance along the x-axis from 400 to 1600. prior to pressing enter to modify the volcanism to 1600 after typing in 1600 the volcanism goes up to 401. because i pressed a 6 while typing in the number itself.
Another example:
 when entering in number of volcanoes in world gen from the standard 15 to 60. the volcano number jumps up to 16 simply because i pressed the number 6 on my keyboard.

not quite sure if anyone was aware or if it is just me.
operating a regular qwerty keyboard
# Operating system:Windows 2.6.0.6001 (SP 1)
# CPU type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
# CPU Speed (GHz):2.686
# System memory (GB):3.998
# Graphics card model:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
# Graphics card driver:nvd3dum.dll
# Desktop resolution:1680x1050
# Hard disk size (GB):465.76
# Hard disk free space (GB):302.774
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:20:31 pm by MoonCabbage »

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 03:50:41 pm »

All is explained. ATI cards are horrible at opengl, sorry; you should get nvidia if you want to play opengl games.

They are also apparently horrible at 2D acceleration, which comes at somewhat of a surprise. I wonder what's up there.. could be my fault.

Wait, is this why I read about people having 150-dorf forts and getting 50FPS or more, while I hit rock bottom at around 80 dorfs and can't crawl my way above 20 FPS? Because I run ATI?

I run d16 and don't bother to update unless something major catches my eye. Probably won't upgrade until DF 2010 at this point, so I won't be trying d18, but that comment of yours makes me wonder...

Am I screwed because I choose to use ATI due to their vastly superior drivers (for everything but OpenGL at least)?

That sucks, and may put me off ever donating if it's true. I refuse to go back to Nvidia, as THEIR drivers have issues with everything that isn't legacy/openGL.

Maybe I'm mis-reading, but a little clarification would be nice. Is it impossible to run Dwarf Fortress with good speeds under ATI? Or am I misunderstanding?

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:55 pm »

I've noticed significant FPS increases, albeit with some instability in frame rates. I also noticed that my FPS counter is updating more slowly.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 04:03:06 pm »

Tried on both a WinXP and Ubuntu 8.10 (I know, I should upgrade), and couldn't get either to work.

On Linux, which I use on my laptop, I'm going to assume it's my fault in some way. Normal DF won't run under Wine either, so I probably did something funny to my video settings at some point.

Not sure why it didn't work on XP. It's a fresh install on a Pentium 4 / GeForce 6600 machine. Normal DF (and several other games) have no problem.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:39 pm »

I am playing with it on a Vista PC (8 GB RAM, 2.4GHz quad core, ATI Radeon HD 3600) with the Mayday tileset, and it seems to be working relatively well. I just started a fresh world, though, so I'm not sure how it compares FPS-wise when the fort gets full... but it runs well with 3 dwarfs!

I did run into a few crashes with farm plots, though. Switching in between the seasons to select plump helmets caused crashes several times. If I simply did one at a time (i.e. picked plump helmets for one season, backed out, selected the plot again, moved to the next season, picked plump helmets, backed out, etc.), it didn't crash, so I was able to work around it.

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »

On my 2.4GHz P4, VIA MOBO (HyperionPro V524A), 256MB NVIDIA 7800 GS (191.07), 1GB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3

I tested d16 vs. d18. Both have the Dig Dwarfier standalone added. In all cases I would just wait for the hard dirve to spin down, and the dwarves were just hanging out around the wagon, fishing and cutting trees.

I settled on a frame rate of 200/20 with the following results:
d16:
Standard, No (single buffer): 98-130 fps
Standard, yes: bad flicker (same for all d16 tests with single buffer = yes except for Frame_Buffer)
Partial 0-2 very sluggish menus
Accum: 125-147fps
Frame, NO: 98-125
Frame, YES: 110-138
2D: 116-128
2DHW: 98-128
2DASYNC: 105-128
VBO: Instant crash before loading
In all cases, for d16, the menu was very fast: >200 fps (except for Partial)

For d18:
Standard, NO: 103-113/19-20
Standard, YES: bad flicker (same in every mode)
Part:1, NO: 85-101/19-20 d18 didn't have the sluggish menu problem that d16 had with Partial.
Part:2, NO: 99-112
Part:3, 93-105
Part:0, 96-99
Accum: 97-110
Frame: 85-111
VBO, yes or no: instant crash
2D: 8/8, the tileset didn't work for any of the 2Ds in d18! It reverted to some sort of primitive/broken tileset, of course I don't know if Dig Dwarfier is really compatible with d18. I just dropped it in according to the directions in the readme.
2DHW: 8/8 same problem
2DASYNC: 8/8 same problem
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:26:27 pm by guebstrike »
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 04:31:56 pm »

I was testing it out and I noticed a problem right away, the intro movie gets really messed up when I maximize Dwarf Fortress.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »

That's already listed as a known issue :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25