Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: DF: Reclaim Party [WarCraft 3 map development]  (Read 22953 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Reclaim Party [WarCraft 3 map development]
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »

Oh, I know the mana depletion part is easy.  But the consequences and conditions in which it is regenerated might not necessarily be.  I just made this little thing that could potentially cover one aspect, - depending on your approach, of course, and with some work - and it was trickier than I thought it would be when I first sat down and started on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there are probably more ways to do it.  I just thought I'd throw around some ideas.  If you want help with scripting, I'd be happy to take a look at any little problems that happen to be lying around.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 06:53:48 pm »

Huh, it looks like you wrote a script to automatically send units to sleep in bedroom. Because player controlled units don't use AI, I don't need it. However it may be useful for NPC if I apply the system to them too.

This GUI example uses some BJs though, and the unit allocation is not freed after use, but it would be easy to clean leaks if needed.

Anyway, the idea is good, thank you.
However for sleep I just remove control and pause unit for some time for now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:02 am »

So, I've spent some time and now there's a timescale and weather system (quite simple).

There're all 12 months and they change at 0:00. At each month change there's a chance to change a weather.

Also I've made a simple infoboard which currently shows only the year and the month, but will show various stuff later.

Currently it's snowing in winter, but the snow doesn't appear. I want to replace all outside grass tiles with snow tiles in winter.

Here's the pic which shows that I don't lie :P. -time is a debug command to set time to 23:59 to test the change of months.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:18 am »

Some progress report.

I've got some more props to furnish the insides of the fortress, here's the guard station:
at entrance.

Basic weapons/tools are in (copper axe, copper pick) and they do what they should (the axe chops trees, the pick mines ore veins).

Cut trees drop wood logs and regrow with 60% chance on a year change.
Mined rock drops generic "stone" ~10% each time it's hit. I will add ores and maybe rock types later.

So far so good. Naxza helped me to test initialization triggers and wood chopping/regrowth, and no bugs are seen for now. Also I removed a few memory leaks caused by scripts.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:41 pm »

Still no feedback, which is sad :P.

I've decided to go this route: no XP for killing enemies, but rather XP for attacking. Anything. Including rocks when you mine.

I've put a few training dummies in barracks.

The only problem is woodcutting which gives no XP for now because trees are not units but destructibles :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 03:27:30 pm »

The only problem is woodcutting which gives no XP for now because trees are not units but destructibles :(.

You should be able to work around that, I believe.

I've decided to go this route: no XP for killing enemies, but rather XP for attacking. Anything. Including rocks when you mine.

Sounds like a good plan, that way economic-focused players won't end up horribly crippled end-game.

How strong will megabeasts be?
Could they level an entire fort by themselves?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »

That's the plan: to force players to proggress, or be screwed (however I want to leave a way to kill them).

But it's in the last parts of my to-do list. Right now I've finished mining and woodcutting and I am starting to script crafting.
Asheron helped me to test my current scripts and good news: so far it works :P. Iron and copper ore is retrieved through mining, and some terrain work has been done.

P.S. Let me explain training dummies.

Right now you can hit rocks in the mine or hit dummies in barracks in your free time.

You cannot gain anything from dummies but you attack them 1.5 times faster => more XP if you need to reach a level fast or just feel like it. While you mine although you gan XP slower, you get ore which you can sell or use for crafting => gold and xp (for crafting).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:55:45 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 03:59:47 pm »

Is it at all possible to beat the HFS? Or is basically a "Ok, end of the game, now you die" kind of thing?
How elaborate are you allowing the traps to be?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:13 pm »

Man, that guy is awesome!
Did you happen to make or find a good dwarf model? Currently I am using this one:

but it has some real flaws (like it doesn't show up the pick in its "stand" animation while shows it in others.
If you could share some models like that awesome... lizardman(?) it would be really cool. Of course if you want to cooperate :P.
if you send me the model i can fix it fer ye, find me on the hive, my name there is diosilva16. i retired from WC3 a while ago, but recently i picked up the old dusty tools to work on a project of mine and got myself mixed up in another, so i don't really have many of my old models, and the lizardman model is for a guy who might get upset if i be sharing his models before he realeases them on his map. but it will be available, eventually, along with the lizardman shaman, the slinger and the hatchling

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »

Is it at all possible to beat the HFS? Or is basically a "Ok, end of the game, now you die" kind of thing?
How elaborate are you allowing the traps to be?
This is what I allow you to talk about and to influence me :P. Right now I am more into "engine" than "gameplay" design. When the wheels start rolling, I will move on to tables and discussions. But the earlier it starts, the better.
So... What do you think? How elaborate could mechanic's traps be?

Askot Bokbondeler
Yeah I will contact you there. Today Hiveworkshop seems to fail a lot for me. I mean it's down.
I understand what you mean with those models, but do you have any lizardman model? Hive seems to have none.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Enwek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 08:40:18 pm »

Need any more testers?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

Askot Bokbondeler
Yeah I will contact you there. Today Hiveworkshop seems to fail a lot for me. I mean it's down.
I understand what you mean with those models, but do you have any lizardman model? Hive seems to have none.
i'll try to get you something this weekend, i'll take the shaman and edit out the aztec gear, etc, maybe giving him a more dwarf-fortressy skin. is there any other model that you desperatelly need? i can look into it

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:23 am »

Hmm looks like Fun. I'm not that great with GUI and terrible with JASS so I wouldn't be much of a help. I'd be more on the suggestions and testing side.

A few questions, Will there be carp? Do NPC dwarves start with you or immigrate? A can they die and if so can you get more?

A Fun idea could be to offer players to oppertunity to bring a cat with them at embark, it would show us who plays DF atleast  :)

EDIT: I see red heros at the bottom of the map in a previous screenshot, are they HFS?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:22 am »

Need any more testers?
Sure, add me (Deon.ac on Northrend and Azeroth, although I am usually on Northrend).

Askot Bokbondeler
i'll try to get you something this weekend, i'll take the shaman and edit out the aztec gear, etc, maybe giving him a more dwarf-fortressy skin. is there any other model that you desperatelly need? i can look into it
I am not sure about a good goblin model or a kobold one.

But the best thing ever would be if you could remove a pick from the model I've sent you and add attach points (helm, armor, weapon, shield). Can you do it someday? It would be awesome because then I will be able to make my own models for gear, and I plan to have complex craft and I would love to have each item to look different on you. I can easily make static models, but I am not experienced in animations.

Level_8_Mudcrab:
There will be carp in the river and I plan to add an event of it turning into a zombie carp :P. And lots of other things, but I won't spoil them for now.

NPC: There will be hireable guards which will stand near guard station, there will be rare nobles which will come in later stage of the game, but overall I plan to focus the fortress around players (for now, because I want to make some gameplay stuff before I start to make NPC dwarven AI because I don't want stupid oafs all around the fortress)

Cats?: I plan to implement vermin as untargetable enemies (mosquitos and blood gnats) so you'll need cats to catch them. Also I plan to allow you to buy a pack mule to carry items/ore/wood etc. around.

HFS: I just placed them there because I felt that even a draft map needs demons :P. I have a few possible concepts for hfs (including reviving dead npc as zombies or possession of npcs etc.), and because it's the last stage of the game I will work on it later.

About sparring and xp: I decided to give XP to an attacker AND an attacked person. This opens a few opportunities:
1) Hit training dummies, getting base +5xp/hit.
2) Hit each other, getting +5 xp/hit as usual and +5/xp for being hit. This way training goes much faster but you have to rest after it.

BTW I've found a good training dummy model:

Also I've made a system of shared storage. All those weapon stands, armor racks along with cabinets and crates in other places pass to anyone who clicks on them and pass to neutral when you deselect them. This way one person may work at a workshop, claiming it, and others won't be able to disturb him, but once he's done, it's free again.

P.S.
Also now I think about a possible direction of development of this map once it's done as a Hero Defence.
I deliberately made it "vertical", with an entrance point on top.

I think at some point when there're all workshops, siegers, nobles and npc dwarves, I should make a similar location of the same size near it, enterable through a mission/leaving location through the top edge, which will host a goblin tower which you should be able to raid. Just a few thoughts about a far future.

I already plan a "cave" random location avaliable from time to time through an event ("scouts has located a cave") with random enemies and loot.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:36:27 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 07:36:27 am »

Cat concept:

Small critter able to target vermin only.
Abilities:
Cunning: 95% dodge chance.
9 lives: when it dies it goes to a "cat heaven" where through some minigame it is able to return with a caravan

When it hunts vermin, it gets xp.
Avaliable abilities at level up:
1) Sneak (turns invisible for a short period of time)
2) Comfort (removes some negative buffs/heals a small amount)
At some high level it recieves 1 inventory slot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11