Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: DF: Reclaim Party [WarCraft 3 map development]  (Read 22950 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Reclaim Party [WarCraft 3 map development]
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 02:29:51 pm »

The crafting is in.

Now I need help from those who know english well... How do I call a place where leatherworks, tanning and bonecrafting is combined? Suggest any suitable name for such "room" please. I intend to use "corpseworks" but I am not sure if such term exists at all. Help me please :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »

Animal Processing?  Although I guess that could imply butchery as well . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

Yeah, I've grouped it into "butchery + bonecarving" and "tanning + leatherworking" rooms.

Today I've crafted my first Wolf Bone Dagger and Wolf Leather Armor. Now a few hours of boring copypasting and changing values to get other types of items, and then I will move on to ambushers and siegers, finally something where I may try to be creative!

Also, I'd really like your ideas what can you make at Mason's shop. I don't want to allow barricades (because people will simply abuse them and screw my poorly written AI :P); currently I think about (1) figurines (purely to sell and to enchant, but at later stages) and (2) stone ammo (for slings, which are made out of leather).

I need to find out other suitable for this type of game uses of stone. Please? :P Something creative if possible.

Oh yeah, and it's used in stonefall traps, but they are made in Mechanic's workshop.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 06:19:03 pm »

As for things at a Mason's Workshop, you could have certain parts of the fortress start ruined, collapsed tunnels, ruined workshops and the like. You could build supplies at a masons workshop for repairing these collapsed fort sections.

Or another idea could be making better furntiure, same could come from carpenters workshop. The furniture could just be a better furniture works more effectivly idea. Things like you don't have to sleep for as long in a better bed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 06:24:59 pm »

I had similar ideas, but it means that no more consumables from those shops for now :P. Oh well.

By the way, basic butchery/masonry/carpentry/tanning/leatherworking/bonecarving are in. So yeah, lots of boring script copypasting ahead...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »

Maybe they could be used for some sort of bunker-like structure?  Since you're in a burrow anyway, they could be ground-pathable (i.e., just have a little stump entrance popping out into the main map for the model) to take care of the blocking-abuse.  Of course, why you'd need stone for that is a little . . . well, I don't know myself why, I'll just put it like that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »

Well, the "main map" is like in 2D version of DF, so I don't see how would it work :P. Anyway, I am decoding a video now and put it on youtube to show current crafting system. Naxza tested it and it works, also he gave me a few good advices and ideas (and Naxza becomes a rare event lizardman cave river trader :P).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »

Oh.  Sorry, I meant like the starcraft bunker building or the orc burrow.  You just build it, and give the new building a model and pathing texture that simulate it just barely jutting up above the ground.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »

I see :P.

This is the video of current features
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfwolmad40g&fmt=22
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:11:16 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:56 pm »

Nice video, looks like the crafting system will work out quite well. When the games got a bit more too it you'll have to get a group of us together to test it.
Also you should change the hero names to dwarf fortress names.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 11:15:09 pm »

Yeah I didn't touch random names yet :P.

P.S. I've got an idea for craft. Currently there're questionable items like bone daggers and wooden clubs which you're unlikely to create and use at all. I want to make a 1/100 chance for an item to become an artifact when you make it. This way there'll be possibilities for: "dark ritual kryss" (a bone dagger which has a chance to slay a victim), "walking stick" (a wooden club which temporary increases your speed), ""sword of the winds" (a shortsword which gives you a "windwalk" ability) etc.. Possibilities are endless. Magic through crafting and items seems pretty dwarfish for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:16:43 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:02 am »

Yeah random chance artifacts would work well, better than trying to implement a mood system into this.

Are you planning to have profession levels for the workshop skills? Would they be you need level 20 metalsmithing to make steel weapons or a better chance to craft the weapon, that's assuming there'd even be crafting fail chance.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 02:10:52 am »

I wanted to make it, but then I thought it would be too grindy for a one-round game like a Battle-Net game.
I don't want players to spend most of the time clicking and moving items. Yay for more quests and action.

It's already enough that it's hard to make better items because of the rarity of ingredients.

I would rather think out a different use of "level ups". Like abilities to make unique items or various tricks. Something like that :P.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:12:50 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 04:51:20 am »

That is incredibly awesome. If I had my W3 install discs, I would so sign up for testing.

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 06:40:38 am »

Yeah I guess skill levels would get grindy. I'm tired so off to bed for me  :P I'll be back tommorow though.

I'll leave a few questions here.

Will all the players be the miner dwarf from the video or will there be classes? How are you planning to handle abilities? Is microcline an available resource?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11