Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self Destructing Fortress?  (Read 2017 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Self Destructing Fortress?
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:29:11 am »

Been in an inspirational slump of recent, then this idea came to me: why not make a fortress that destroys itself at random? I figured I'd either attempt a dwarf computer or rely on a creature and a large cavern with pressure plates, but either way I have realized that I have no idea what most of these death traps would be. So I'd like to ask some of the devious and demented minds out on the forums what all I can add to this to-be disaster.  :P

Current deathtraps are:
Magma/water release in the bedrooms
Drawbridge in the meeting hall
Parts of fortress drop into pit/magma pipe
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
Re: Self Destructing Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:30:31 am »

dragons.
the doors open.
carp.
attack of the berserker.
and other stuff like that.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:07:37 pm »

Yeah a combination of carp, water, and meeting hall sounds most fun!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »

Mod carp to be resistant to heat/fire, then drop a swarm of skeletal !!carp!! in your dining room.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

Either construct your entire fort by hand, or carve away the mountains and such around it. Either way, have your entire fort held up in the air by a single column of supports. Then, under that, dig out a labyrinth. Put a pressure plate in there, link it to the supports. Insert a kitten. Wait.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »

Even better, insert a male and female cat as a crude timer.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »

Even better, insert a male and female cat as a crude timer.
Do they kittens and cats differ in weight? That would mean they had to duplicate in order to activate the supports :)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »

That's the point. With a kitten, it's all luck. With a breeding pair of cats, they rapidly grow until you have a vast army of cats a thousand strong, who will wander around, and surely one of them will press the plate. This means that the longer the fortress lasts, the higher the chance of it collapsing entirely is, and you have to try to make your fortress as great as possible before it crumbles to nothing.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 03:25:37 pm »

the cat idea just sounds phenomenal, I think I may try the same thing that OP's going for. Of course the labyrinth has to be intricate and span an entire z - level. and for more fun maybe add a series of floodgates and pressure plates to change the labyrinth around, to mess up the pathing to the final pressure plate (although in the end something will to trigger it).

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »

the cat idea just sounds phenomenal, I think I may try the same thing that OP's going for. Of course the labyrinth has to be intricate and span an entire z - level. and for more fun maybe add a series of floodgates and pressure plates to change the labyrinth around, to mess up the pathing to the final pressure plate (although in the end something will to trigger it).
ONE z-level? Pfft. I breached the HFS, blocked the clown pit, just for the sake of the maze ending there. However, it starts about 3 z-levels above.

Seven years and still rolling!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »

Man, you should make some sort of elaborate system as a race to the pressure plate. Say, have a dungeon filled with traps and such, which constantly rearranges itself when pressure plates in the dungeon are triggered. At the end, make a room with the pressure plate in the entrance filled with food. Drop immense quantities of goblins in the starting room, and see if they make it to the food (and trigger the demise of the fortress) before they all die.

You could even carve fortifications in the dungeon, upload the save, and have it be like an RTS - train enough marksdwarves while supplying your fortress with necessary resources to kill off any goblins that could reach the end.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »

ONE z-level? Pfft. I breached the HFS, blocked the clown pit, just for the sake of the maze ending there. However, it starts about 3 z-levels above.

Seven years and still rolling!
To be honest, I'm not the greatest at labyrinths, I was going to use one Z-level and maybe use spike traps to ward off the kittens/clowns/whatever until they corpse jam. What I'm really going for is the stuff that will happen once the plates are triggered. I want to shy away from the one-pillar-holds-all idea just to prolong the Fun, have it happen slowly instead of one fell swoop.

How does one safely wrangle carp into a retention pond?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »

You could pump immense amounts of water into a tall tower that drains out to the river or something, but there are grates so the fish don't drain out. You'd also have a retracting bridge on the bottom and when you pulled the lever, the carp would drop.

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »

I say hollow out a good sized chunk of a z-level into a labyrinth, and rig a system of pressure plates in various dead ends, that when hit in the right order, would open up a door to the next plate, then the next plate, then the next... until you hit the one that destroys your entire fort.
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.