Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The 5000-dwarf-buck threadbare sock  (Read 11952 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 5000-dwarf-buck threadbare sock
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.
May I sig?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:14 pm »

You may indeed.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:18:52 am »

I had a metal statue that had just been sitting in my gem encruster's workshop for years.  It had nearly every gem encrusted on it.  I think I eventually put it in my (non-adamantine) King's throne room.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »

This thread inspired me a challenge: decorate, stud, sew etc a completely worthless item with every material in game.

Bonus: do it in Dig Deeper.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:45:17 pm »

This thread inspired me a challenge: decorate, stud, sew etc a completely worthless item with every material in game.

Extra bonus: mod in books as a craft item. Encrust/decorate/stud a book with every material in the game. Because real dwarves don't have pictures in their books, they MAKE THE PAGES OUT OF THE STONE THEY ARE ABOUT.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 11:57:07 pm »

Extra bonus: mod in books as a craft item. Encrust/decorate/stud a book with every material in the game. Because real dwarves don't have pictures in their books, they MAKE THE PAGES OUT OF THE STONE THEY ARE ABOUT.

Makes my day
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 12:57:24 am »

Actually, I think it would be funnier if it were something even more pointless: a single birch/pine/whatever arrow would probably be best for the sheer pointlessness of it.

edit: If you can't get elves to shoot arrows at you (try harder!), you could also just make it out of a single masterwork elf bone bolt from a stack fired at an archery target.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:02:01 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 02:06:03 am »

If an arrow is encrusted with 50 pounds of fine gems it should be usable as a ballista projectile.
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 02:20:05 am »

Better yet, decorate a wood arrow with EVERYTHING you can, then toss it into a chasm. Most pointless item ever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 02:28:28 am »

No, you put that wood arrow into a weapon trap, silly.  Then release an untamed groundhog where it will run over the weapon trap.

Bonus points if whatever creature you release over it survives and heals.

edit: alternate idea: chain a crippled tame animal over the weapon trap, if the animal has an injury that makes them occasionally stunned.  Better if this is a crippled kitten, or some other tiny, harmless animal.  Otherwise, go with one of your own crippled dwarves, in a 1-dwarf squad, sitting over the weapon trap that will shoot him with the ultimate platinum class deluxe arrow whenever he gets his stun effect.

In this case, bonus for what qualifies as a miniaturized megaproject whose sole purpose was to kill a single one of your own dwarves who probably would have died of his own wounds, anyway. 

The ultimate expression of Dwarf Fortress: To spend several years meticulously searching for and hoarding every item type in the game, putting them all together with the greatest of craftsmanship, and using them for the sole and specific purpose of hurting yourself in the least efficient manner dwarfenly imaginable!

edit again: Susquipidalian Locquaciousness bonus points for crippling the dwarf yourself just to qualify for the previous challenge.  Hurting yourself on purpose in a roundabout way to be able to hurt yourself in an even more elaborate and wasteful manner is the sheerest essence of all that is dwarven.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:56:29 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 02:30:36 am »

Beating an intruder to death with your crown jewels.

How appropriately Dwarfish.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:37 am »

No, you put that wood arrow into a weapon trap, silly.  Then release an untamed groundhog where it will run over the weapon trap.

Bonus points if whatever creature you release over it survives and heals.

edit: alternate idea: chain a crippled tame animal over the weapon trap, if the animal has an injury that makes them occasionally stunned.  Better if this is a crippled kitten, or some other tiny, harmless animal.  Otherwise, go with one of your own crippled dwarves, in a 1-dwarf squad, sitting over the weapon trap that will shoot him with the ultimate platinum class deluxe arrow whenever he gets his stun effect.

In this case, bonus for what qualifies as a miniaturized megaproject whose sole purpose was to kill a single one of your own dwarves who probably would have died of his own wounds, anyway. 

The ultimate expression of Dwarf Fortress: To spend several years meticulously searching for and hoarding every item type in the game, putting them all together with the greatest of craftsmanship, and using them for the sole and specific purpose of hurting yourself in the least efficient manner dwarfenly imaginable!

edit again: Susquipidalian Locquaciousness bonus points for crippling the dwarf yourself just to qualify for the previous challenge.  Hurting yourself on purpose in a roundabout way to be able to hurt yourself in an even more elaborate and wasteful manner is the sheerest essence of all that is dwarven.

More... uh... bonii if the arrow remains lodged in the wound.

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:12 am »

Actually, if thieves enter the fortress, shoot them with gold and gem encrusted arrows.
You'd just give them what they want, right?
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:12 am »

Decorate a weapon trap component like a drill or something, install it in a trap, and have it shred your foes for the rest of time.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.
Pages: 1 [2] 3