Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sciences shall we cover in the next DF Talk?

Biology
- 142 (4.4%)
Astronomy
- 197 (6.2%)
Geology
- 266 (8.3%)
Medicine
- 163 (5.1%)
Physics
- 497 (15.6%)
Chemistry
- 366 (11.5%)
Zoology
- 84 (2.6%)
Botany
- 120 (3.8%)
Podiatry
- 10 (0.3%)
Psychology & Sociology
- 326 (10.2%)
Meteorology
- 87 (2.7%)
Pogonology
- 123 (3.8%)
Geography
- 105 (3.3%)
Ecology
- 119 (3.7%)
Genetics
- 298 (9.3%)
Mathematics
- 158 (4.9%)
Linguistics
- 134 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 1121

Voting closed: March 01, 2010, 08:44:55 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!  (Read 61174 times)

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 05:28:05 am »

PHYSICS and MATHEMATICS lead to new machines, hopefully. Which is good. Conveyor belts, steam engines, automated wholesale meat choppers, primitive electric coils... all fun and death.

And GEOLOGY... hey, that's dwarfs for you! They kinda dig rock! There seems to be some room for improvement, especially considering current unability of veins and clusters to span over Z-coordinate, and pure randomness in distribution of layers.
-
V.

Pathos

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 05:41:34 am »

Physics, chemistry and biology! Since botany and genetics should come under biology anyway. >.>

Basically, chemistry to make things go boom, physics to work out what effects those things going boom has and biology to make things to blow up!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:49:11 am by Pathos »

Netizen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:19 am »

I just want to point to the sad omission of linguistics on the list. Why is linguistics so frequently ignored? It's a proper science, damnit! And a fairly fascinating one. There already are some basic word and phrase generating mechanisms in game and the future development section holds a few interesting ideas. I would really like to hear Toady elaborate on the subject.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 06:15:41 am »

He he, yeah, that is a pretty bad omission, considering that I've thought about it a bit.  We came up with a quick list and then picked a few more from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_science.  You'll notice that only specialized variants of linguistics are on that list too, he he he (it made it as far as the talk page).  The linguistics article links back to the science article as if it is pleading for inclusion.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Netizen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:16 am »

@Toady

Yes, the wiki science page is a symptom of the general ailment of linguistic studies not getting a proper recognition as a scientific field in its own right. Perhaps the discipline (in its current incarnation anyway) is too young, or else its just inherently too multidisciplinary. I dunno.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:27 am »

Astronomy. Because:

There had been aeons when other Things ruled on the earth, and They had had great cities. Remains of Them, he said the deathless Chinamen had told him, were still be found as Cyclopean stones on islands in the Pacific. They all died vast epochs of time before men came, but there were arts which could revive Them when the stars had come round again to the right positions in the cycle of eternity. They had, indeed, come themselves from the stars, and brought Their images with Them.

These Great Old Ones, Castro continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape — for did not this star-fashioned image prove it? — but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die...

-H.P. Lovecraft, the Call of Cthulhu

Also, since I have a degree in astrophysics, I heart it.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:07:19 am by lastofthelight »

Spoonfeed

• Bay Watcher
  • ooooooOooooOOOo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:20:42 am »

Astronomy,Pogonology(spellchecker loves the word) and Genetics, because;

1. I could not choose more.
2. Astronomy; I would love to learn more about the exterior of the world, and how the civs interact with the great solar spectacle.
3. Pogonology; UNFINITE possibilites and fun
4. Genetics, One of my favorite biology subsets, interesting prospects and possibilities spring to mind such as breeding programs, Elitism towards genetically lesser endowed persons, Urist Nightingdwarf never leaving the side of the mangy lepers and cripples and many more, this could, in theory also result in much more varied worlds, where genetics takes over the role of diplomacy once the civs are all friends/wiped out but one where genetic variation results in the splitting up of a civ, and sub-races are formed.

Nil Genericsignature has gone stark raving mad!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:37 am »

No economics ? Well, that might not be a science.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:15 am »

well it all depends on whether or not you think psychiatry is a science, after all if a field of study based on guesses is considered science then economics would definitely be a science, heck it even looks more like a science with numbers and mathematical concepts and such.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 08:25:39 am »

Cool, you chose my favorite topic area! Science that is :)

Edit: Why did you put Podiatry, the 'science of feet' in there? Thats incredibly specific, perhaps too specific for a DF talk.

Edit2:

Genetics: my first choice :)

Geology: I like geology and some may have noticed (Footkerchief anyway) that its an area of interest to me.

Biology: While Biology itself includes many sub-disciplines such as zoology, botany, ecology, and others, it was a bit difficult to decide on a third one, but Biology is also cool, so...

Oh yea, I see that Paleontology is missing, if that were there, I'd have voted for that one as well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:32:48 am by smjjames »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 08:33:51 am »

Damn, I was finally hoping for combat specifics  :-\

Chose geology, medicine and zoology.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 08:53:14 am »

I think alchemy should be on the list :P

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 09:12:55 am »

Geology, Chemistry, and Geography.

In general I would say geology is boring, but when it comes to DF it's an important subject.  I wouldn't have said geography either if I hadn't just seen the embark site posted by Sean.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:08 am »

Geology, meterology, genetics

Geology for the obvious, meterology because I am interested in exactly what the weather sim does, and genetics because I suspect I'll try my hand at breeding funky critters soon.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

m0nster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:09 am »

It's time for my first post ;)

Botany, Genetics, Psychology & Sociology.

I'm really interested in how Toady is going to approach the simulation of a being's psyche and the impacts on it by society/environment/etc...

Greetings m0nster
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17