Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sciences shall we cover in the next DF Talk?

Biology
- 142 (4.4%)
Astronomy
- 197 (6.2%)
Geology
- 266 (8.3%)
Medicine
- 163 (5.1%)
Physics
- 497 (15.6%)
Chemistry
- 366 (11.5%)
Zoology
- 84 (2.6%)
Botany
- 120 (3.8%)
Podiatry
- 10 (0.3%)
Psychology & Sociology
- 326 (10.2%)
Meteorology
- 87 (2.7%)
Pogonology
- 123 (3.8%)
Geography
- 105 (3.3%)
Ecology
- 119 (3.7%)
Genetics
- 298 (9.3%)
Mathematics
- 158 (4.9%)
Linguistics
- 134 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 1121

Voting closed: March 01, 2010, 08:44:55 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!  (Read 61440 times)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:23 am »

Botany - Because quite frankly the plants in DF are lackluster. While you can do a ton of interesting things with animals, what is a modder of plants to do? All trees are basically the same. Hell, even the ability of a signle, big tree to create multiple units of wood would be nice. But also, what about more fantastic things? Trees that can fight? Or scream out alarms? What about plants that could let you make more interesting substances, such as healing salves. Herbs would be fun as well, so food can get even more complicated and interesting.

Chemistry - Ties in with plants, obviously, pretty well. Also, lets you explore more stuff like poisons and the like. Yeah we have some, but none are made, they just kinda exist. A nightshade plant could make nightshade poison, but that's it. What if you could make more complicated ones? And Antitoxins? And Antivenoms? What if you mixed root of zibzab tree and powdered quarts and it made something that would burst into flame at exposure to sunlight? How could that not be fun? Or even a rare plant whose extract, when dumped into water, freezes the water? Or maybe even a special plant that, when turned into an alcohol, would let a dwarf be able to not sleep for 3 seasons, but then have to sleep immediately at the turning of the next 4th season, no matter where he happened to be.

Zoology - We'll have a lot more tags and things to be able to create things like skunks and armadillos and even moles. How could would it be to have like burrowing animals suddenly show up inside your fort? Or some subterranean snakes? How about making fantastic beasts a bit more interesting, such as werewolves that are non aggressive humans most of the time, then turn into killing machines for a week at a time? How about having Unicorns be more than just Horses iwth a greater combat value? Pegasai! That would be cool.

Living things, people, that's where you'll have a lot of interesting interactions.

But seriously, if nothing else, Botany. For all the sciences I think it's received the least attention.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:29 am »

Astronomy: What do the dwarves think of celestial bodies? Will astronomical objects ever interfere with events in their world?

Mathematics: My favorite science.  I love the calculators, calendars, logical chips, and other mathematical computing devices players have designed in the game. Will we ever have dwarven mathematicians?

Psychology & Sociology: Because dwarven individual and group behaviors create fantastic stories, and seemingly endless entertainment.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:15 am »

Astronomy:   Specifically will extraterrestrial bodies ever interact with the world either during world gen or as a special event during fortress mode.  A comet/asteroid could strike during worldgen, leaving a crater or deposits of a mineral that is typically extremely rare.  A meteor could fall during fortress mode, possibly comprised of high-grade iron-nickel ore.  Or later in the game's development you could have eclipses or planetary alignments that influence rare types of moods to occur.

You could even throw in some one in a million world gen results:  a comet strike kills most above ground life, including humans and elves, animalmen move to the surface and hunt the giant groundhogs that have evolved while running in terror from the predatory giant fluffy wamblers.

Geology:  Any plans for geological hazards?  Earthquake prone sites, mudslides, avalanches could be fun.  Also motherlodes of certain ores would be cool very rare finds.  Tarpits, fossils, crude oil, toxic minerals?

Pogonology:  Who doesn't want beards to be more important?  Having a fantastic beard should definately increase your leadership potential.  Whether that is to make a dwarf more likely to be elected mayor or terrify opponents in battle who can say?

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 10:12:32 am »

Will it be science in the regard that how our own "real life" natural laws are applied (or ignored) in the dwarf fortress world? For example, under the geology topic, what different types of stone and rock are included in the game, what roles they fill and how they effect the game. Excluding the trivia ones that just have a different name and color.

Or will it be a science discussion through the eyes of an in-game dwarf? Dwarf McGeologist, that named a field of study after himself after discovering a very blue type of rock. How does dwarf perceive rock? What do they think it is?

Will it be a talk about the gameplay or the lore of the game world?

Mylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:17 am »

Zoology
Botany
Geology

The classic kingdoms...
Animal
Vegetable
Mineral

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:58 am »

(Weird science)
Plastic tubes and pots and pans
Bits and pieces and
Magic from the hand
We're makin'.......
Did no one else notice this?  This is hilarious :P  Should be sung during the next podcast :P

Anyways:
Genetics - I know we've already heard some about this, but I'd love to see a bit more...
Physics - I for one am still looking forward to catapults firing in an arch, or knocking over fortress walls with one... :D
Psychology & Sociology - The whole bit about likes, dislikes, thoughts, etc. fascinates me...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 10:48:23 am »

So, is economics a science? I'd like to have at least some hope for something more practicable than "forge 60000 coins to settle accounts"...

But yeah, I imagine pogonology is also important.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 11:01:54 am »

Wait, no option for Archaeology? We wantss ruinsses my preciouss...

Well, I voted for:
- Botany: plants and trees could really be more interesting, but I'd like gameplay-oriented changes to come before detail-freak-oriented changes. (Even though those add flavour.)
-Psychology & Sociology: very broad; concretely what I'd like to see is a better social and daily life organization from non-dwarf civs, and procedurally generated towns and cities based on that.
- Geography: the closest to archaeology I could find, besides geology. I'd like geography changes over time to affect civs, such as the desert eating up fertile lands, cities dying and being buried over time, volcanic eruptions such as in Pompeii taking towns by surprise and creating new fertile soil, and so on.
Natural resources could also play a huge role: I think it's rather well handled in the Civilization series, where a civ that discovers ironsmithing first and controls easy to extract iron deposits will have an immense strategic advantage.
Also see the Nile floodplains that gave rise to the Egyptian pharaonic dynasties...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:08 am »

Oh yea, I just realized, the list is missing one really importaint topic, metallurgy. Or maybe materials science. Metallurgy and the properties of the metals gets discussed alot in the Future of the Fort thread.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:19 am »

Psychology & Sociology

Is a science? BAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!

Anyway I voted genetics because all of the new traits and stuff.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:39 am »

When I first saw this thread in this subforum section of this forum section of this forum, I had a magical vision of a video with explosions and babes performing in every field of Science and then carrying Tarn around like he had just scored the winning goal in the superbowl.

SCIENCE!

Anyway my votes are for Physics, Psychology and Pogonology.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:22 am »

Okay, who turned on show votes? I thought you guys were going to have that off to eliminate biased voting.

Anyways, theres 5 that have over 50 votes and two that are close, but not gonna say which ones.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:41:26 am by smjjames »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:51 am »

I added linguistics and somehow it got turned on.  SHHHHH!  Nobody say anything.  Tarn has to turn it back off, I don't have those privileges... but I did tell him.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:44 am »

Pogonology all the way, along with biology and physics. If we can learn how they work, we can learn how to destroy them in even bloodier and more fun ways with cooler more fun weapons! ;D
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:54 am »

Geology, Geography, and Genetics. Although I really wish I could have voted for at least another 3-4 options.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17