Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sciences shall we cover in the next DF Talk?

Biology
- 142 (4.4%)
Astronomy
- 197 (6.2%)
Geology
- 266 (8.3%)
Medicine
- 163 (5.1%)
Physics
- 497 (15.6%)
Chemistry
- 366 (11.5%)
Zoology
- 84 (2.6%)
Botany
- 120 (3.8%)
Podiatry
- 10 (0.3%)
Psychology & Sociology
- 326 (10.2%)
Meteorology
- 87 (2.7%)
Pogonology
- 123 (3.8%)
Geography
- 105 (3.3%)
Ecology
- 119 (3.7%)
Genetics
- 298 (9.3%)
Mathematics
- 158 (4.9%)
Linguistics
- 134 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 1121

Voting closed: March 01, 2010, 08:44:55 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!  (Read 61566 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Talk Topic Vote #8: SCIENCES!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 11:48:56 am »

I added linguistics and somehow it got turned on.  SHHHHH!  Nobody say anything.  Tarn has to turn it back off, I don't have those privileges... but I did tell him.

I only said how many were leading, which will be obsolete in a few days as more votes come in.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

Biology, astronomy and geography.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

Zoology
Botany
Geology

I picked these because they're sciences that a player could actually engage in while playing DF.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »

Ecology (because I'm an ecologist)
Astronomy (because we never see it in game, and I'm curious)
Geology (because dwarf fortress IS geology...cmon people, lets get out the vote on that one, its the one I really care about)

Really, I'd have voted for linguistics if it had be present when I made my vote.  And I would support "biology" as a topic, since it encompasses ecology, genetics, botany, and zoology

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:27 pm »

Physic seem to got popularity :p

Physic,
Chemistry
Astrology

If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:45 pm »

Within physics, I'd particularly like to know if and how you plan to reconcile the sizes of things with the grid system. E.g. dwarves taking up the same space as dragons, kittens, and quantum stockpiles of a thousand boulders. To what extent is this addressed in the upcoming version with the new bodies and combat physics?

Also, linguistics and astronomy ftw!
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »

To what extent is this addressed in the upcoming version with the new bodies and combat physics?

Not at all.  It's an extremely difficult problem.  Here's a list of Suggestions threads on the topic.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:20 pm »

Astronomy: Because Toady was already nutty enough to let the game gererate worlds where the sun sets in the east, but what else is going in?

Meteorology: How does the weather simulator work? Etc.

Lingusitics: Always fun. Admittedly Toady has already covered a lot of ground here.

Kelsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »

Astronomy: Do Dwarves look up?  What do they see/think when they do.  Do they see the same earth stars we do?  Or is each night sky randomly generated at world gen?
There is so much potential here, especially looking at our own history and religions, a lot of myths and legends are based around the astral bodies.

Meteorology:  I'd like to know when it's going to rain.  Are we going to have more interesting weather patterns?  Chance of tornados?  Who would be best a predicting the weather?  Elves?  Will that effect caravan routes?  Other than "it has begun to rain", "the weather has cleared", etc. notices, the weather does not have much effect on the daily lives of our dwarves.  Sure they are unhappy to be out in the rain... but would they be more or less happy to be out in the sun?  Could a cloudy day be a good day for going out without nausea?

Genetics:  Because I'd really like to know what traits will be passed on generation to generation.  Especially when interracial breeding becomes an option.  Can we even cross domestic animals, generating our own mules while in fortress mode. If we have a female horse, and a male donkey, but no mates for them would they do it naturally; or would the dungeon master need to coax them?

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:40 pm »

Botany - I think going deeper into Botany could be interesting. It could lead to Greenhouses, among other things. With that you could expand on plant growth/development. I imagine hybrid plants would be possible, or plant mutations (eg, red plump helmets that take a few seasons to grow, and are very toxic). Or entirely new plant-life. In some cases, you'd develop something useful, maybe something else that can grow in winter. Other times, results could be very fun. Botany would vary from region-to-region, so every game it'd be like a little science experiment.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:13:26 pm by Rystic »
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 01:59:45 pm »

COOL... I've chosen 3 most popular options just like that :O
...hehe I feel like my vote matters now :D
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »

Am I the only one who chosen medicine ? (well I know I'm not, but no one said he has). I would love to know if we're eventually going to have a nice set of organs with realistic functions and all.

I also chosen Botany, for the reasons mentioned above, and Ecology. Having a realistic ecosystem with predators, prey, and depletion of resources seems interesting.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 02:36:40 pm »

Whoa, the number of voters pratically doubled since Rainseeker accidentially made the votes show. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

The three top ones seem to be remaining the three top ones, although a few others are gaining ground.

Rainseeker and others, are you guys going to narrow it down somewhat if there are more than three really popular choices? Three or four seems plenty enough for a DF talk.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:40:10 pm by smjjames »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 02:37:36 pm »

Damn, I wish I had voted for Astronomy now instead of Pogonology. My other two choices were Linguistics and Psychology.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

Geology, Psychology and Linguistics. More rocks, more tantrum, MOAR CUSSIN'!

Ahem.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17