Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "How the hell do you survive that" moments  (Read 2783 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
"How the hell do you survive that" moments
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:31:10 am »

so , some of us got the "HOW THE HELL DO YOU SURVIVE THAT" reaction at something in DF adv , this is a good place to share it ,

as for mine

check the wounds

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How the hell do you survive that" moments
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:09 am »

I once stabbed a kobold guard in the head with a stack of 30 copper arrows. It broke his head, poked out one eye, damaged his brain, and lodged. Then he got up and tried to escape.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »

I had modded in Wolfmen to make ambushes in the woods more interesting, and was ambushed by about six of them. I killed a few, but one of the broke my hand and I dropped my weapon. I was then wrestled to the ground, but I was hit with the bug that keeps a creature alive no matter what when many creatures are wrestling it at the same time. When they all collapsed due to exhaustion, I made my move and bashed them all to death with my shield. I collected my equipment and 'T'raveled away.
I learned later that I had forgotten to modify their size to 7 from 2.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:54 am »

I once stabbed a kobold guard in the head with a stack of 30 copper arrows. It broke his head, poked out one eye, damaged his brain, and lodged. Then he got up and tried to escape.

Indeed. Attacking with stacks of arrows or bolts scares me. The damage done is often in the realm of insta-kill, though there is the occasion where some guard manages to survive brain damage.

As to the question, I believe that person may just have a really high toughness. Otherwise... I am clueless as to how survival is possible with a terminally damaged heart (at least it wasn't severed [not possible, but hey, I can joke]).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:17 am »

Well, you can survive with a mangled heart for some time but never for long. I vagualy remember even travel mode refuses to work when your guy is realy badly screwed.

But still, the reaction 'how the hell do you survive that' wouldnt be out of place. Its just that the answer is 'you dont'.

Also, recentelly I saw this demon that was getting beaten up by a whole bunch of clowns wielding bits of clothing. Its a long story how that even happened in the first place but in the end the demon had most its limbs and many internal organs broken or mangled, including its brain. I dont think it had any bodypart left that wasnt al least brown. And still it didnt die. It must have been because its last name was 'badash'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

loseing any one organ will take time to kill any thing.
kideys, pancreas and spleen can be riped clean out of the body and your foe will live.
mangled spines dont kill.

two spears one in to the head and the other in tha heart and that human still raised his blade to fight me!
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »

Well, you can survive with a mangled heart for some time but never for long. I vagualy remember even travel mode refuses to work when your guy is realy badly screwed.
Travel mode doesn't work if you have a mortal wound. 

I think I was stopped from traveling when I was bleeding heavily (had to wait a few steps for it to stop), but I'm not sure.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

I've Traveled with a mortal wound to both brain and heart, but I can't remember if it was in normal 40d or in 40d16. I don't think that makes much difference, though.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44:25 am »

you can travel even unconsious

if no one sees you and no one hostile is nearby

also , OP pic , there are even worst wounds not shown

i dark-greyed his leg too , and ran about in circles , for almost 30 times , before landing the coup de grace on his face

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:19 am »

Somehow stabbing out every single internal organ on a wolf.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 03:30:00 pm »

The best I've had was playing as an adventurer, and lo and behold, I happened to be in a town when it was being invaded by hostiles.  So, I decided to join the townsfolk and attack the invaders.  Unfortunately, along the way I must have attacked a townsfolk by mistake, so I had everyone after me.  After surviving several arrow attacks and finding cover by a building, I got attacked by a mace-wielding guard who proceeds to break my back.  Of course, I killed him while clawing myself around on the ground.  I went on to kill four other people, townsfolk and invaders both, while paralyzed.  Eventually, the mayor dude came along and shot me dead.  But the whole paralyzed-from-the-waist-down-and-still-managing-to-get-kills thing was pretty epic.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:54:37 pm »

Piercing a wolf's heart with my teeth (both my arms being broken), being as I logically would have had to gnaw my way through his ribcage first.  He survived long enough for me to, among other wounds, bite both his eyes out.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:39 pm »

Epic disabled adventurer is epic.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »

I was walking around, and I saw this goblin farmer. Seeing such a pitiful sight of such a lowly creature made lower by being forced to poke dirt all his life, I decided the only merciful thing to do was end his life. The initial attempt was... less than 100% successful.

I didn't even know you could survive your brain breaking. On the other hand, some of the stuff I've seen in DF would beg to differ.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »

I remember I stabbed an elf in the heart twice before I finally poked him all the way through.

That was one tough elf.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: [1] 2