Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: An Otherworldly Ark  (Read 38142 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: An Otherworldly Ark
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2010, 03:55:13 pm »

Nothing. I'm not going to work on it myself because the idea is about shuffling things between people.

Alternatively: a 4 year degree in 6 years, err, I mean Biology.

I've run into two or three top downers, about eight people who said they were interested and disappeared, and about four people who might have had a learning disability that prevented them from understanding that I was asking people to draw things. Most of that in places other than this thread.

This has been flat out the only location where people have told me about similar projects other people are working on. Overall I'd say the major failing point has been that people didn't notice my emphasis on evolution. Like the mutation and selection kind. Everyone that sticks around until their reason for leaving is clear either wants to build Aristotle's ladder or doesn't realize that's what they're trying to do.

So what you're saying is that you're upset people aren't building this world and setting for you within your specifications, but you aren't willing to actually do anything yourself?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:47 pm »

Nothing. I'm not going to work on it myself because the idea is about shuffling things between people.

Alternatively: a 4 year degree in 6 years, err, I mean Biology.

I've run into two or three top downers, about eight people who said they were interested and disappeared, and about four people who might have had a learning disability that prevented them from understanding that I was asking people to draw things. Most of that in places other than this thread.

This has been flat out the only location where people have told me about similar projects other people are working on. Overall I'd say the major failing point has been that people didn't notice my emphasis on evolution. Like the mutation and selection kind. Everyone that sticks around until their reason for leaving is clear either wants to build Aristotle's ladder or doesn't realize that's what they're trying to do.

So what you're saying is that you're upset people aren't building this world and setting for you within your specifications, but you aren't willing to actually do anything yourself?
No you'd have to not read to think that.

Well, seeing as you didn't,
I already know the answers Earth came up with a little too well. Trying to tread between copying it and absolutely striving to do things nothing at all like it (meaning be stupid,) is kind of like trying to make a pen balance upright on a table. Almost everything I do is going to end up tumbling over into one of the two things I don't want.

NONETHELESS I've set up a world: Earth. And the earliest life: unicellular things. Oh, looks like we can tell which way my pen fell.
What I really need is for someone to throw a curveball. Make a multicellular critter that isn't what I expect. But people don't know how to start with that so I've also tried giving them the first "animal" and asking them to give it a shell, bones, or some other sort of calcium based structure. Well, I didn't say calcium based because that's scary chemistry even though the other two examples tell you calcium is useful for making hard body parts.

Not all of that was done specifically in THIS forum but here's what really bugs me: it's taken all this time for someone to even ask. Sure I've responded to your negativity in kind but where have the people been? The only people who have been asking me anything were missing the point entirely (cough Supermikhail cough)

But here is why I don't just draw up a planet: it would be totally distracting right now. The landmasses mean nothing. The ocean connectivity means nothing. We have a fairly thin slice of the water near the surface to work with. Places shallow enough to include some rocky purchase are just long narrow strips of mostly sand. Now if you're thinking to ask why I haven't said anything about this you're thinking too much. This is the default image we think of when we think of water. Either it's got some and a short ways down or it is effectively bottomless.

LATER the distinctions between habitats matter but right now there is just the one.

Edit: Jopax, I'm going for universal common descent. There are several types of bacteria but really they're just going to count as a thin soup of stuff to eat. Maybe if this makes it through an epoch worth of species they can start doing those other things people think of unicellular life doing but at this point they're metaphorically unaware of multicellular life because it hasn't been around.

Starting with "some plants" irks me a little bit. Well, show me that you can think up a form that uses photosynthesis but doesn't have any leaves and I'll give a green light to it but otherwise I don't want get distracted by plants. Animals are trouble enough.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:38:39 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:19 am »

Not entirely! I just thought we could help-you-help-me. And I could swear I've read the whole thread, and it's been very funny, but there's been no sign of constructive advancements, I'm sure I haven't seen anything like you've posted now... Although, reminding myself that this thread's been around for more than half-a-year... Anyway, what I'd like to establish is whether you want everybody to invent crazy lifeforms, or base it all on evolution. My problem with the latter idea is that I'm not sure there is a scientific explanation yet of how and why it all happened as it happened on our Earth, so it's hard to imagine why and how life would evolve on another planet, especially in such early stages, of which there is so little fossil evidence. And if there is, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is absolutely ignorant of it.

So, I'd sure love it if you posted an example, even if it's not a revolution in xenobiology. Just what we're supposed to be doing.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12:52 am »

People can go pretty nuts. Honestly I don't expect anything to top anomalocaris but I'd love it if we ended up with similarly bizarre stuff. No perpetual motion machines or force fields please but just looking at all the different organs animals use for seeing bio has a pretty high ceiling for what already exists.
So a lot like the tone of DF: it's a fantasy setting no doubt but fairly grounded without steampunk machines tearing through the landscape or any of that.

As for the why of various lifeforms it most often just came down to right place right time kinds of things. The first bacteria with some ability to stick to a surface no doubt did a really pathetic and overall bad job of it, but because it was the first that could do that it could live places other bacteria couldn't and even in places other bacteria were it might have been able to get at food sources they couldn't really access.

The first creatures to see obviously didn't have camera eyes like ours and in fact it would be pretty ridiculous to think they could even really make out shapes of any sort, but just a yes/no signal about light is very advantageous if none of your competitors or prey have ever so much as seen it.

The first way of doing anything is clumsy really only just barely does it but once the option is there that whole survival (and reproductive success,) thing refines it until you've got a masterpiece quality mug. Sure it started out as a chair and you can see how the chair was beaten until it worked like a mug but it is still a mug and a great one at that. It's nothing like what you would get if you went trying to draw a mug in just the one step and even drawing a bunch of little halfway points between a chair and mug would be selling it short by a lot.

So really this is about the now, not where you're going to end up. And if it's possible forget about where you began too, just keep switching between changing it to do something better and to do something else.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:59 am »

So if i get this right, you want us to begin with a bacterial soup then go from there.No offense to anyone, but i doubt there are many people here who would know enough about the early life to know how exactly it should happen, what would it need and what would simply be dead weight.I suggest you simplify it a bit for everyone, since not many people like to think about why would a piece of bacteria need thicker membrane or more incell stuff(I can't remember any of those things, i had biology four years ago).Let's start out simple, but complex enough to interest people.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:50 am »

It's kind of interesting to think that random irradiation, toxins and errors in replication are called such a lofty word as "evolution", ain't it?

I'd say Jopax has made a very good point. I wanted to ask "so anybody knows how we got sexual reproduction". Instead I'll propose: let's have the climate so mild and undemanding for such a long time that there is no need to go sexual, and see how far we can get. I don't know, everybody spawns?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:35 pm »

So if i get this right, you want us to begin with a bacterial soup then go from there.No offense to anyone, but i doubt there are many people here who would know enough about the early life to know how exactly it should happen, what would it need and what would simply be dead weight.I suggest you simplify it a bit for everyone, since not many people like to think about why would a piece of bacteria need thicker membrane or more incell stuff(I can't remember any of those things, i had biology four years ago).Let's start out simple, but complex enough to interest people.
That's just it, there is no reason exactly.

Muscle, skin, and nerve cells. Can you think of ANY shape to put them in for eating bacteria? You will probably want a mouth but what else? There's not even a demand that it be able to move around by it's own power at this point.

-

*This isn't required reading or anything. Just read it if you're curious about the point of sex (or the immune system at the bottom.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:23:44 pm by Shoku »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:06 pm »

Righto, this headache isn't going away and i really can't do much with it, so let's try this.

The very first lifeform on the planet was the Trisgea bactery, it's origin is in the northen pole's warm oceans, rife with nutrients and minerals coming out of the very active volcanoes and geysers dotting the place.The bacteria itself is very simple, floating around and absorbing stuff it bumps into, mostly nutricious chemicals(do these even exist on such a small scale?) and some lighter mineral particles that float around, mostly silica based ones.The bacteria gains energy from dissolving the matter it absorbs(i really can't think of any other process than one using oxygen, if you can think of somehting that is at least plausible, please do so) and most of the stuff it does not dissolve it simply dumps out, or in case of minerals it integrates them into the organism itslef, building a kind of thin shell to prevent damage, once the bacterias lifespan of a few weeks passes it withers dumping out most of it's internal "organs" and the thin shell itself slowly floats to the bottom of the ocean.

This good for a start?
AS - IG

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »

Seems complex. Do I need to know what silica based minerals are like? Do the shells just pile up till there's a thick layer of them at the bottom of the water?

I'm kidding. Sort of.
What does it matter what the bacteria are called? I've already said that the water we're starting in is full of bacteria. Obviously there's some variety to them but it's not so complex that what I asked for has to have a way of screening them. Because nothing big eats them they don't have an defenses against the new proto-animal I've asked for.

But if you really insist on not doing anything with skin, muscle/nerves and a mouth I can do that step too. I worry that that will be crippling to anybody else really stepping in but from what I hear the place we're at now is paralyzing anyway.

So sure. We can use your bacteria and your planet but not with the freeze phase or at least not how it sounded. Hibernating bacteria would just be slow.

-

More infodump. Aerobic vs anaerobic life.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:26:32 pm by Shoku »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 09:14:21 am »

Shoku, you remind me of someone from BBC. I really dig your style.

About reproduction: yes, sexual is faster and more adaptive, but it's aimed at the survival of the species and individuals, not at evolution. And it's not like in the brainspace time is a problem. Just a thought.

About oxygen: how about liquid ammonia-based life? Xenobiologists speculate a lot on different solvents and structural components. I don't think we should be so pessimistic.

And. I don't know how relevant it is (probably not relevant for quite a while), but I've come up with an idea for a statistics-based imaginary struggle for survival. Basically, we create an organism (evolve an organism from something before it), and turn its properties into sort of functions, well defined and sort of mathematical. For example, birdotherix - can fly, burns X kcal per hour, speed Y m/sec, take-off speed Z m/sec. So we take it by its functions, then we take a pool of survival situations, and randomly choose a defined number of situations against which to test birdotherix's functions, for example - a predator attack, a draught season, a forest fire. And "see" how well it fares. Although, there is a good chance it won't fare well against the forest fire. Well, what can you do? Survival of the fittest! And a sprinkle of random.
Just an idea.

About Jopax's bacterium: How do reproduction and a mineral shell work together for a unicellular organism? Does it have shed it before reproducing, by any chance? Or dissolve... And imagine, at some later time it evolves into a monster that dissolves bones of its victims.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 12:17:50 pm »

Well i was thinking the shell itslef does not envelop it completley, a hole is left for absorption of usefull stuff and "squeezing" out copies of itself :)
Also on the freezing thing, i don't think it matters right now, since most of the life is in the liquid oceans which are always warm due to the volcanism, also rather acidic because of it.Plus due to the water anomaly bacteria should be able to survive anywhere, just have to get adapted a bit.
Okay, someone else evolve it?
Let's say that with the increase in bacterial life in the ocean has made it harder for our little critters to survive, it needs to adapt, needs to be more efficent at getting food, how does it do that?

Also, the name is there so that once (if) we finish this we can easily place them all in a big evolutionary tree and see what we get :)
AS - IG

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »

Survival of the species vs the individual is all wrong. It's survival of your offspring that matters. There's some math involved if you want to narrow down on exactly how your own success is not exactly the same as your children's success but to keep it simple only the ones that act in their own interest stick around for very long.

But it doesn't matter if individuals survive a forest fire. What matters is that at least a few survive and then recover. If you think you can set up some equations for that that we can do easily enough for hundreds of species (the idea's gotta be viable later, right?) then let's see it but after all that talk of "we don't know why evolution when this way or that" it seems better to keep it fairly arbitrary.

-

So when you said the planet just stops you meant just the outside of it looks frozen over?

...I meant to skip straight to animals. Bigger ones. If a bacteria was rod shaped or round and had flagella or not- can you think of any way that impacted the form of larger life? Those details all seem lost practically right away and anything present later could have just evolved separately.

But ok.
Trisgea lutum. The shell is reduced to just two plates and it secretes a ring of slime around itself. By sliding the plates in or out of the slime it can control how much contact it has with the acidic water. This is important because it gets it's energy from letting the higher acidity water flow in but it is a two step process where the other step needs to be more basic.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:28:42 pm by Shoku »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

I meant it stops completley, it doesn't freeze over the weather just stops, no winds, rain, snow anything, it seeminlgy becomes a big ball of ice :)

Also if it's not important we can simply skip a few million years and fast forward to some basic multi-cell organisms
AS - IG

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »

Alright. So skin, muscle-nerves, and a mouth (unless you want to think of something really different.)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:12 am »

No-ho-ho! Shoku, you got it all wrong! That's not what I meant at all!

But it's not a scientific discovery, so no matter.

I propose that trisgea lutum gets a squirt drive - several canals through its body, into which it can semi-efficiently suck water, and squirt it out in other places to change the direction in which it's moving, or the way it's oriented - because all the best acid comes from below, from the volcanoes, and it needs more energy.

Anyway, what mouth? I thought we were feeding on sheer geothermal energy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23