Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elf trade goods tsunami!  (Read 11699 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Elf trade goods tsunami!
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:07 am »

OK, so, talking with others in this forum, I got the idea to up the [trade_capacity] of some of the beasts of burden that elves use, so that I could get some more caged animals to purchase...

Turns out that going the blunt, graceless path of simply adding two zeros to the end of their carry capacity was a bad idea, as it wound up with something like 25 pages of inventory for the camels, and they would take longer than the time the traders would stick around the fortress to even unload the goods, making actual trade impossible.  Even if I just looted it all, the sheer amount of CRAP these elves were trading was killing my frame rate down to the low teens.  With just 6 pack animals!

Worse, using a little save scumming to go back to before the elves arrived, I didn't notice a drop in the camel's capacity after adjusting the raws...  Apparently, what's in those camels is set before they actually arrive, but not before sometime in Winter, when I actually modded those raws the first time around.  (I guess at the change to Spring?)

So... I did the only thing a dwarf COULD do... I turned on my atom smasher.

Well, turns out I mis-timed this - The second elf to come through (wanted at least one to get through) managed to see the bridge go down right in front of him, and got tossed by the bridge on the up-swing.  This apparently dazed his camel temporarily, as these things do... but what happened next was unexpected.  It turns out that these camels drop their trade goods upon being stunned...  and because it had something like 300 goods stacks on its back, this actually caused a trade-goods tsunami!

A wave of bins of cloth, rope reed junk, wooden earrings, idols, and the like started flowing outwards from my atom smasher!  It expanded the width of my hallway, fell down my atom smasher's trench to it's Hall O'Fun below, and threatened to drown my dwarves (and my framerate) with useless crap!

Fortunately, it didn't extend more than 10 tiles, and the atom smasher landed on top of 3 of the pack animals.

Still, that's 2 animals that dumped a veritable mountain of crap upon my fortress halls, and all I can do is set a dump site underneath my atom smasher to mitigate the problem, but with hundreds of trade goods, this will take QUITE a while to sort out.

Pictures of the aftermath (sorry for custom tileset, if it's confusing):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf trade goods tsunami!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:21 am »

Oh carp!  That is a lot of junk.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:25 am »

Haha! That's quite impressive. I've never heard of anything like that before. Hey, at least it wasn't the caged animals that went spilling everywhere. That might have ended up messily.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:30:31 am »

It's a LOT more than it looks, too...

I'm still sorting through the crap that the camels dropped, looking for cages and maybe some whip vine seeds (no savage tiles around me), but the first tile I counted near the bridge contained 267 seperate items in it... and this pile is spread across about 50 tiles.  (And yes, there are caged animals spilled about... they're just still caged.)

Fortunately, however, it seems like the pile's "depth" is halved for every tile away from the bridge that the tsunami has flowed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:17 pm »

I did something like this before. It was incredibly Fun. The kobolds had a field day decade when I drowned them (after buying the fifteen alligators they brought, and the seven giant lions, the five elephants, the eight hippos...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:35:25 pm »

That more or less obligated me to design a warning sign for your Dwarves to put up in the area until it's all cleared out.

Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »

Heh... reminds me of something else...

Anyway, I set the whole zone for mass dumping to a dump site underneath the atom smasher, but I've been un-marking for dumping cages with animals in them (plus some thread, my looms are always running me dry on thread, oh and wood spears and short swords... useful training weapons).

So far, I've unmarked about 4 black bears, 3 elk, 1 deer, 1 muskox, 2 jaguars, 2 cougars, 2 leapards, 1 giant jaguar, 1 raccoon, 3 rhesus macaques, , an alligator, about 9 assorted camels, a turtle, 2 orioles, 2 red-winged blackbirds,  2 cardinals, 1 blue jay, 5 assorted squirrels, and a chipmunk.

I still have about half to go...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:24 pm »

That sounds like an epic zoo in the making

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

I think I'll do that with wagons. Considering how good I have been to humans lately (buying every caravan at double the price listed) I might end up with several hundreds whips & scourges with the right trade agreements. I almost feel sorry for my siegers now...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »

Can you change the amount an animal can carry without having to re-gen your world?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »

Can you change the amount an animal can carry without having to re-gen your world?
Yes. I believe that you only need to regen the world when you add a new file or entry in an existing file. When adding, removing or altering tags in an existing entry, no regen is needed. The only exception is entity entries. When altering one of those, a regen is needed.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »

Even if you clean all that up, I bet the elf stench will last for years.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 05:07:37 pm »

not to mention another elf caravan will probly arrive next year

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:58 pm »

Yes. I believe that you only need to regen the world when you add a new file or entry in an existing file. When adding, removing or altering tags in an existing entry, no regen is needed. The only exception is entity entries. When altering one of those, a regen is needed.

Please excuse the fact that I am not thinking clearly (running a nice fever), to me that statement came out weird. So that's a yes, I can mod the holding capabilities of a pack animal WITHOUT having to regen the world?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »

Please excuse the fact that I am not thinking clearly (running a nice fever), to me that statement came out weird. So that's a yes, I can mod the holding capabilities of a pack animal WITHOUT having to regen the world?

Correct.
Pages: [1] 2 3