Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 87470 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:40:16 am »

OK I'm starting to type up an initial post, everyone is invited to request a character.
let me know the following:

name:
favorite equipment:
character desc/blurb: the more detailed, the more i will have to work with, i cant promise i can incorporate everything but i will try.

feel free to develop a side story of your own like the the lovely story about the aircraft mechanic.

I am using xcomutil. i wont be save scumming with 1 exception: mulligans. if things go to shit within the first few turns i tend to reload to the start of the mission. i really don't think losing the whole team to a blaster bomb at the beginning of the mission is fair.

I'm using the improved tanks, improved weapons and alternate starting base options:

improved tanks: the first few tanks have a bit more effective armor making them able to withstand a few plasma shots, its still fairly easy to lose the tank to a plasma auto shot or too

improved weapons: a minor rebalanced of weapons, making all weapons viable within their class (the documentations says the main changes are adding auto shot to the conventional pistol and making the heavy laser a bit more accurate.

alternate starting base: doesn't add anything extra to the starting base but arranges it to be more defensible.

does anyone think these changes are too much?

also i use the option that adds rank, kills and stat strings to the end of names
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:52:20 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

Name: Myroc
Equipment: Your default "standard issue" weapon (rifle/laser weapons/plasma weapons), a grenade, a flare and a stun rod. Also, medkits when we have one.
Description: Previously UK military who signed up for the X-COM project for extra cash, saving mankind, and because beating up aliens sounds goddamn awesome.

As for the other stuff...

Mulligans: Depends on the how screwed you are. HWP breaks down one step outside? Keep going. Three soldiers die to a grenade? Ouch, but keep going. Grenade (or god forbid, blaster bomb) inside the skyranger? Reload.

Improved tanks sounds okay. I don't really care much about this, your choice.

Improved weapons: If it makes heavy laser more useful, fuck yes.

Alternate starting base: I'd say go with the default layout. I find it defendable enough as it is.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:08:04 pm »

Name: Razorwire
Preferences: Long range sniper
Stats: High Reaction and Fire accuracy

Background: A sniper for the US Army Rangers he joined X-com 'to drive off these ugly bastards once and for all'. He's quiet and prone to biting sarcastic comments. He got his nickname for being 'as comforting to be around as a coil of razor wire'.

He's a solid soldier, though, and takes his job seriously.

Right now he's trying to adjust to the specialized X-Com weaponry, and usually cursing the fact that the standard battle rifles are highly inaccurate. He wishes he had a real sniper rifle to use.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

Name: Spartan

Preferences: Sniper

Blurb: He is awesome.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »

Commander's log - beginning of day 1

I have been requested to take command of a small base in a classified location. the previous commander met with an unfortunate accident involving flooding and a stuck door in his personal quarters shortly after mandating that 10 alien battle ships will be shot down this month...

-note to self: install drainage pipe in personal quarters-

I have been told that this base has been put together by the UN to fight off aliens! I cannot believe this facade.

supposedly, though, this is serious. we even have two state of the art jet fighters in our hangers designed by the Japanese.

I'm in command of 10 of the most decorated scientists, 10 skilled technicians, and 8 eager soldiers. i will have to look over their files later

Upon looking over the base I have found it to be generally well equipped, along with the two interceptor jets we have another state of the art aircraft, a jet drop ship. apparently it can get a fully equipped team of soldiers AND up to two heavy weapon platforms anywhere on earth in less than 24 hours. we have a fully stocked laboratory which the scientists are practically giddy over, the technicians assure me that the workshop on base is fully equipped to make anything the scientists can develop.

the base however is a bit cramped. the storage section is already half full and upon talking with the pilots of the interceptors, they assure me that the cannons on the jets are nearly useless against ufo's and have practically begged me to put a few more avalanche missile launchers on the budget list.

I had a look at the equipment my soldiers will be using and its the cherry on top. the rifles lack sights. SIGHTS FOR GOD'S SAKES! looking over the specs of the weapons it appears the designers thought that we would be fighting all our battles in close quarters. the rifles and pistols have a built in bullet spread that confounds me. the only accurate weapons we have are the big ones. the heavy cannon is a true beast, it looks designed to punch a hole in a tank! we don't know what were up against yet but I'll bet it wont take too many rounds of this caliber.

we have no flashlights or any source of light period, I'll have to do something about that...

well wether this is a big joke at my expense or the real deal. i will forge this base into a respected force to behold.

now to get aquatinted with my ground troops...

(first few choices: what shall we research first? where do you want the base to be? and cannon tank or rocket tank? i like the rocket one more personally)

ooc: i will get started once we have a couple more people onboard and once i get home and can take some screen shots. I'm currently at college learning office administration. don't worry I'm not being lazy though, at least my 98% average says I'm not...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:25:52 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:19 pm »

US or Europe is best for a starting base.

As for research, I'd either go Motion Scanners (to manufacture for sale, they fetch a good profit) or laser weapons. Med kits are nice, but not really worth it until we have soldiers worth saving and personal armor to allow someone to actually take a hit and survive.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »

Name: Mr.Apple
Preferences: Melee/Relatively close aka assault
Stats: High Bravery and Accuracy

Background: On the playground's where he spent most of his days, beating up tramps and eating mayonaisse.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »

name: Cerapa
equipment: auto cannon with HE rounds or a rocket launcher depending on if I have enough strength to carry a rocket launcher and a bunch of grenades and high explosives
description: i think you can deduct from the equipment

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:03 pm »

US or Europe is best for a starting base.

As for research, I'd either go Motion Scanners (to manufacture for sale, they fetch a good profit) or laser weapons. Med kits are nice, but not really worth it until we have soldiers worth saving and personal armor to allow someone to actually take a hit and survive.

i believe medi-kits sell really well (not far under lazor cannons which i will be mass producing on the engineer's downtime once we research them)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 02:25:07 pm »

Medkits do sell well, but motion scanners actually have a higher profit ratio.
Come play Mafia with us!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:51 pm »

Name: Steve
Equipment:  Medkit, stun prod/launcher, flares, rifles (upgrades with each new tech).
Personality:  Strange.  Very strange. It's said that the mental institutes wouldn't take him.

It will be awhile before we have the sort of engineering facilities and workers to effectively produce things for profit, so I'd say Medkits or laser weapons first.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 02:45:44 pm »

Go for laser weapons. Also, I recommend buying about 20 more scientists or so, to get the early research kicked up a notch. Also, build more living quarters and general stores (especially stores).

Edit: No I'm not trying to run the base in your stead. That is a silly idea and you should feel bad just for thinking of it.

<_<

>_>
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

Commander's log - day 1 continued

I have had a chance to meet with some of our ground troops and I have been left with... "mixed" impressions

First on the list is Myroc. He gave me the impression of a grunt who knows what its like to be in the thick of it, his first request was a weapon, his second request was a gernade. i suspect he'll make sure to have both of these in every mission possible. he appears somewhat intelligent for a grunt as he also requested a flare, a stun rod and a med kit if possible. he appears to want to be well prepared for anything. i like this. i will have to order in some flares and stun rods as the report i received from storage was... concerning to say the least, more on that later though.

Next is "Razorwire", his nickname was all that was on the record form. he tells me he likes to sit back and take opratunistic shots at his opponents. he was quite cross with the available ground weapons and with good right. as he put it, "these are the safest guns I have ever seen, you couldn't even kill yourself with them if you tried!". I smirked, its good to have a soldier with a bit of wit and even better to have one who examines his weapons before he has to use them. after a short one-on-one talk with him i have learned that this is not the first time he has been in a fight with the "alien menace" which is either comforting or... concerning.

The third soldier's name was Spartan. he was not much for words, he made his place perfectly clear, "I'm here to put our bullets in their heads and for that, I'll need a gun". a straight forward soldier, i hope to see good things from him.

The fourth soldier was a "Mr. Apple". he was listening to music on his earphones so loudly that he had no idea I was trying to get his attention as I entered the room. I learned at that moment what the note on his file had meant, i grabbed his shoulder and he calmly turned around and smiled, he looked me over, taking longer than a trained solder should I will add. and said "whats up commander?" No flinching, no worry. his file said that he scored perfect on a psychological "fear" test. He was reported to be "unshakeable" and eager to jump into danger. however he seemed to lack discipline, as if he was plucked right out of high school in the USA. He seemed to speak almost another... annoying language but it was obviously "street" language from where he grew up. He wanted a stun rod and a pistol, anything to get "up close and personal" (if you don't give me more info, I'm going to imagine you as a wigger in the military. no i wont get you killed on purpose for that :P)

Next up is Cerapa. I caught him starring at his lighter and smoking in his quarters. I reminded him that this is an underground facility and that we will all need to "share the air". he put out his cigar with a smile and introduced himself. He is a decorated demolitions expert and i could see on his desk that he had the schematics of the autocannon out and data sheets on the test results of it's high explosive rounds. "I see you like artillery" he nodded and said" sometimes when you shoot someone, they blackout. sometimes when you walk past them, they get back up. my enemies don't wake up again." I knew then and there who i would assign to the explosives, this "self proclaimed" soldier had a resume more fitting of an engineer, he not only knew how to use explosives but how to build them. it seems he is a bit of a pyromaniac, i will have to see to it that this does not become a problem later on...

lastly there is Steve, "just Steve" he says. his requests were fairly typical but his personal quarters were... odd. He had managed to bolt his bed to the wall and had restraints across it he had removed his chair from his desk and it was nowhere to be seen. His computer had been secured to the wall near his bed and lastly every square inch of his walls were covered in detailed maps of the moon and other "nearby" planets and moons. it was unnerving but not completely unexpected, he had been in space with both NASA and Russia several times. he was very excited to meet me, told me that "this would be just like one of his lunar missions but on earth and not in a space shuttle!" I'll class him as "interesting"

ooc: i will add pictures to go along with these once i get home and get the game actually started. let me know if you prefer a gender. also i appoligise in advance for errant misspellings.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

Go for laser weapons. Also, I recommend buying about 20 more scientists or so, to get the early research kicked up a notch. Also, build more living quarters and general stores (especially stores).

Edit: No I'm not trying to run the base in your stead. That is a silly idea and you should feel bad just for thinking of it.

<_<

>_>

I'm going to go by majority for decisions but i will include my own vote on things, for instance i vote for med kits because it reallys sucks to lose someone to an otherwise fixable fatal wound. (i had a guy last night kill two aliens after getting a triple fatal wound, he had no armor, i saved him with a medkit, it was bad ass ^.^)

dont worry about playing the game for me. i was planning to do that anyways. i'll try to let you know what advice i do and do not take as we go.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 03:58:39 pm »

Darn you and your making new threads at 3am.

Name: Tamunshin
Equipment: Heavy Plasma, HE bombs, additional grenades. Default until these are available.
Stats: Needs high strength, health and TUs to overcome weight.

Story: Somewhat of an expert in making holes where noone thought they could be made, Tamunshin can find a way to blow just about anything up with what he's given.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67