Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 87483 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! July 24th
« Reply #960 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:14 pm »

The sentence where bloodshedder notices the reaper taking wounds from laser fire; was x-com already on scene? but if so, they wouldn't of had lasers since such weapons were developed under anya snow's watch. What would make more sense (both mechanically and logically) was that he noticed the reaper was weak to fire; giving a reason as to why bloodshedder shot the car's gas tank (which would cause a fire/explosion).

hey something shot it up.

Floaters are paper thin, they fall like leaves in the wind to x-com's advanced projectile weapons so it is not a leap of faith that standard (or even high quality, he was a mercenary after all) could cause them harm if one gets a lucky shot. Taking the game's RNG into account, bloodshedder could have pulled off just about anything if he was lucky enough (invincible chrysilid anyone? can you imagine if he had a gun? oh god lobster men  :o)
chrysilids? geez two shots from the rocket tank and goodbye.

So as you can see, I can take a crazy backstory and actually make something out of it. I really cant work with "he is awesome" or a short list of attributes. Those characters end up being whatever I make them (which might not be what you wanted).
well i didn't feel like listing every attribute but i really don't care about the others i didn't list(cept maybe t.u.), i gave myself the badass bio since it kinds gives a reason to hire someone into a secret Earth defense organization especially with some experience with "close encounters for the sixth damn time"(ironically, the actual terminology for sixth kind is ufo incidents involving deaths).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #961 on: July 28, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

Doesn't matter how cool his back story is, he can still die stepping out of the sky ranger on his first mission. So I don't think it *quite* counts as a Mary Sue.

How can you think that any of X-COM soldier can be Mary Sue?

One failed blaster bomb and WOOOOO.

No more Mary Sue's.
Name: Mary Sue
Occupation: Ace of the Military with high ranks working in the FBI, CIA, and National Guard (before applying to XCOM: she's a ranked Field Marshal of an army command unit)
Backstory: This is a woman that all women want to be. She's got looks, reputation, money, clout, brains, and boobs to match; and not half bad with a gun either. She's friends to all who come across her, and even acknowledges the rookies as people, and not "redshirts"; all while having even the highest ranked officials pay respect to her for her work in the military. She's loved by all in her company. She has investigated XCOM operations, and been researching the motives of the alien threat. She is determined to tackle this problem by any means necessary to end the war before it becomes a catastrophe. She has applied to XCOM to serve and protect mankind 'til death.

Foreshadowing: A stray rookie shot kills her off.

EDIT:
I couldn't resist. :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:40:40 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:43 pm »

Doesn't matter how cool his back story is, he can still die stepping out of the sky ranger on his first mission. So I don't think it *quite* counts as a Mary Sue.

How can you think that any of X-COM soldier can be Mary Sue?

One failed blaster bomb and WOOOOO.

No more Mary Sue's.
Name: Mary Sue
Occupation: Ace of the Military with high ranks working in the FBI, CIA, and National Guard (before applying to XCOM: she's a ranked Field Marshal of an army command unit)
Backstory: This is a woman that all women want to be. She's got looks, reputation, money, clout, brains, and boobs to match; and not half bad with a gun either. She's friends to all who come across her, and even acknowledges the rookies as people, and not "redshirts"; all while having even the highest ranked officials pay respect to her for her work in the military. She's loved by all in her company. She has investigated XCOM operations, and been researching the motives of the alien threat. She is determined to tackle this problem by any means necessary to end the war before it becomes a catastrophe. She has applied to XCOM to serve and protect mankind 'til death.

Foreshadowing: A stray rookie shot kills her off.

EDIT:
I couldn't resist. :P
hey hey, im doing it for the money.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:22 am »

@Itnetlolor: Lulz :D

BTW, I just checked my roster in my game. The guy with most missions passed and most aliens killed? TA Wolfgang Siedler - guy with blaster launcher who uses his weapon tactically, to pierce walls/destroy pockets.

Other people are actually marking targets for him :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:07 am »

been pretty busy lately but I haven't forgotten about you guys. thought I'd give you all a quick update on whats going on with me.

great uncle is on his deathbed, he was given 2 days to live about 4 days ago, his health is improving but he still has three kinds of cancer (he is in the hospital for pneumonia, he was down to 10% lung capacity)

brother had his 20th birthday today.

found out the company that hired me was probably just giving me a trail work day. assholes could have been a bit more straightforward about it, I would have been fine with that.

Things with Fern's Heating looks like its going to go well, owner is going to call me up this week, he wants to bring me in to meet the staff, see if I mesh well with them.

found out from a temp agency that most workplaces don't recognize my college as a legitimate college, fuck yeah! I seriously hope he is incorrect.

I have joined a writer's group a couple months ago and have so far not gotten around to starting any of their projects >.<
project 1: write a bit of a story using a picture of a rose as inspiration. the picture is in gray scale so i was thinking about doing a story from the perspective of a human/animal hybrid who details their feelings of difficulty meshing with human society.
project 2: write an erotic story. hmmm... haven't really put much thought towards this one, might be fun once i put some thoughts down on paper (or lcd screen more likely)
project 3: write a poem. Poems have always been a bit beyond my reach. I know that a good poem is a sign of a great writer, being able to tell a story with a very limited amount of words. My brain just doesn't work that way; I like words, lots of them. To do this one I would have to sit down and think of a pretty simple story or thought.

and lastly: vidya games. I have a bad habit of playing video games when i really should be doing something else, like working on a certain LP *looks innocent* I recently played through the Chzo Mythos series and I was really impressed with it. Also in the past month I have tried out alien swarm, beaten borderlands and racked up a few more hours on modern warfare 2 multiplayer.

So as I continue on trying to manage stress, find a job and juggle my married life with my hobbies, I will be sure to put some time aside for this LP. Thanks for sticking with me.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 01, 2010, 07:03:06 am »

I offer my condolences, and hope that everything ends up as well as could be hoped.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 01, 2010, 03:26:14 pm »

I do the same as RAM, with the additional hope that your meeting of the team at Fern's Heating goes well.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 01, 2010, 09:01:06 pm »

what college did you go to?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:02 am »

I went to CTS (Corporate Technology Services) Canadian Career College. They actually hold their staff and curriculum to a higher standard than the local community college. CTS is a private vocational college. It is small however while the local community college is quite large, the difference is CTS receives no government funding and makes due with just the money gained from tuition (which is just about as much as the community college charges).

edit to avoid double posting - I have played through, noted and uploaded all the pictures for the next update. I'll probably be a pretty decent size.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:31:29 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »

I went to CTS (Corporate Technology Services) Canadian Career College. They actually hold their staff and curriculum to a higher standard than the local community college. CTS is a private vocational college. It is small however while the local community college is quite large, the difference is CTS receives no government funding and makes due with just the money gained from tuition (which is just about as much as the community college charges).

edit to avoid double posting - I have played through, noted and uploaded all the pictures for the next update. I'll probably be a pretty decent size.
well figure out a way to prove your legitimacy like old tests or something like that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 08, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »

Good luck with your grandfather, Anya.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 10, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »

I have no real excuse for the lack of an update but work is going well... and my wife had a miscarriage
:<

I need to work on my update...

wife update - after crying at every commercial involving new additions to people's families and being stricken with a debilitating cramp while taking a bath where I could not hear her weakened screams for help (found her after half an hour, head still above water thankfully) she has finally settled down and is trying to sleep.

For everyone who is concerned, We'll be ok, these things happen. When she cried and asked me if the baby would go to heaven I told her that it was just waiting to try coming to us again and that we would try again soon. Some kind of soul recycling process for the unborn or something, it didn't have to come from a book, it just had to make her feel better. Fuck I hate to see her cry.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:23:22 pm by cganya »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 10, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

Ouch. That sucks, Anya!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 12, 2010, 07:16:39 am »

i'm working on the next post at work of all places. my temp job is very slow paced and i have no tasks to do for today and tomorrow (except answer the phone and handle incoming faxes and any other little job that springs up.)

I have sent out a few PM's this morning asking for input on certain things in the next post, hopefully i'll have some answers by tomorrow.

edit - Next post is coming along nicely. I believe I have gotten through most of it, probably half of it. I just got off skype with Zilvy, we were brainstorming ideas for psionics training. Wikipedia apparently isn't the greatest source of information on "how to for dummies" this topic :P

Also from Zilvy, I finally installed a program called Read Please Plus. How did I even edit grammar before installing this program?

Keep your eyes peeled for an update soon.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:50:04 pm by cganya »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:36 pm »

Corneas lacerated, sir!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67