Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Culture Simulator  (Read 11526 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Culture Simulator
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »

Okay people, here is the secret project I've been working on:

CultureSim !!

UPDATE 2-6-11:
I have rehosted this project at request, but it is no longer being developed or supported.

UPDATE 3-1-10:
Fixed lockup when choosing ideas.
Fixed tool-tips running off of stage.
Tool-tips now scroll by mouse click.
Added mountains and respective movement.
Battles are now recorded into history. Press shift and mouse over the tiles to view their history.
Added mechanism for off-shoot cultures to adopt their own color.
Made the map a little more rough.
More idea definitions.
Various small fixes.

Its a non-player toy that grows human population and handles the spread of cultural ideas.

There is history keeping, but it isn't yet fully implemented:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The link is a bit more detailed:
http://spreggo.com/prototypes/culturesim/Culture.html
The old link is long dead. Try this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B07KumhFJvwyN1BmQjFDSHN5NzQ
Nope, try this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2adc523ttgu9z50/Culture_Sim.zip
[/b]
Some issues:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay - I'm looking forward to suggestions and complaints.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:55:39 am by Spreggo »

tasteful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:41:34 pm »

marry me

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:57:43 pm »

Nice.

Reminds me of Sim Earth.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:05:36 pm »

interesting...

This is similar to a big part of the Archipelago project that I am still planned to get started on, if I can ever finish 1 or more of my other projects first. Though Archipelago will have more pirates and cannibals.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »

huh, neat. I was pondering over a population and culture simulation engine for a Meme 4 X game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »

Neat little population movement simulator.  I do have two nitpicks of the engine though - the popup info appears inside the window, so markers close to the edges get their info hidden, and there should be a description for populations who don't worship anything instead of being left blank.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:53:39 pm »

Very nice! Like Armok said, reminds of Sim Earth.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »

Very interesting to watch for a while... had three major continents, and each ended up being almost entirely owned by it's own faction, until a new one (ironically with a black background...) came through and started taking over some of the beaches, before almost all of them catching the plague and spreading it to nearly the entire world, cept some obscure little civilization off in one of the bottom corners of the world :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:05 am »

To me it seemed like you ran the continent smoothing one step too long and the game seems biased towards maritime culture. It's really fun to watch them colonize.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:45:31 am by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:18:05 pm »

I was going to suggest introducing religious schisms, until I saw the Blue Civilization (following the Anti-Religious Civilization) losing territory to the Orange Civilization (following the exact same Anti-Religious Religion). I'm serious. These people believe in exactly the same tenants and everything,  only Blue believes in the "god" Loti while Organe believes in the "god" Friethu.

I predict many a bloody war, before they both assimilate.

EDIT: Eh, the Orange Civilization was cowards and ran to the nearest island, where they reverted to neutrality. The Blue Civilization in the process of reconquering the Orange Civilization's territory.

EDIT2: I just realized that territory conquered by Civilization may still produce population, even if there are no civilizations. So, the remnants of the Organe Civilization that was not conquered by the Blue Civilization produced a ship unit, that colonized another island (nope, they colonized the exact same island, but with some distance from the Blues). This second city still follows the Orange Civilization. Since they are far away, they won't assimilate, and so the schismatics will live another day.

EDIT3: The Organe Civilization decided they had enough of the name "Friethu", and renamed their god to be "Math". I just checked what "Math" and "Loti" looked like...and they look like luxury goods. Stupid schismatics. Blue Civilization is dying from the plague and the Yellow Pacifist hordes, while Orange Civilization just sitting there in its colony, chilling.

EDIT4: The Orange Civilization had enough of the color Orange. They're now the Purple Civilization. This is awesome.

EDIT5: Purple have launched a reconquestia and have began taking territory from the Blues. The Blues are basically falling apart, as the Yellows seize more and more of their land. The Blues' days are numbered. ...Yet, the Purple's own "home city" is destroyed, possibly via plague.

EDIT6: The Purples have their own extensive colonial empire, but now they have to deal with a new threat: The Teals, who believe in the "god" Enini, in and exactly the same beliefs as the Purples and the Blues.  :-\

EDIT7: OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! The Purples and the Blues now follow the exact same god, Mahei.

EDIT8: And now there is a new religious schism within both the Purples and the Blues, between the followers of Mahei (who look like luxury goods), and the followers of Friethu (who look like integers). You may remember that the schism was originally between Loti and Friethu ...so they're now back at the begining of the schism; nothing changed! Yellow is now a superpower though, so this entire dispute seem irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Religion is on the march, while atheism argues over how many angels can dance on needles.

I'm getting tired of this, and I got other homework, so I'll stop updating this post, but I got one question for Spreggo: How does religious schisms get created?

EDIT9: One last update. The Mahei religion is dead, everyone follows Frehi now. Also, the Teal civilization has been annexed by the Purples, and now follows Frehi too. The Great Schism is finally over.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:31:26 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »

Can I see how this cool thing works? Your blog doesn't say and the civilizations seem more coherent than I would expect from chance.
The great game of Warlocks!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:57 pm »

After reading SCs post, i'm realy impresed with this app. It sounds like one of the morst realistic somulations I have ever seen of anything!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »

I need to check this out. Sounds vaugely like a country simulator a wrote years ago. It kept track of rulers and ethnic groups, though, instead of culture, but you still had nations rising and falling and schisms happening within larger nations and so on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »

I need to check this out. Sounds vaugely like a country simulator a wrote years ago. It kept track of rulers and ethnic groups, though, instead of culture, but you still had nations rising and falling and schisms happening within larger nations and so on.

Do you still have it? It's not a cultural simulation, true, but I'm more of a "political sim" type of guy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

Sadly, no, I lost that code a long time ago. It was actually in BASIC, of all things.

I am planning on making a more advanced version of it at some point, though. Probably as a test bed for some new AI code that I've been planning.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5