Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Culture Simulator  (Read 11521 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Simulator
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

Thanks for putting so much effort into this, your reports have been extremely useful for working out the various problems. I'll try to give a more detailed response tomorrow...
As for the bug, is it literally overflowing the tips? You should be able to left click your mouse to scroll through them. I will see if I can add in some indicators when the content is scrollable.
The problem with a minor deity being associated with an idea twice is an easy fix. I was trying to save processing time but apparently forgot to make it check for repeats.

What sort of things would you want to be recorded in a history?
1) Formation of City
2) When a City Formally Left or Joined with a Culutre
3) When a Prophet Appears, what God he creates
4) Whenever assimilation occurs
5) When this city gets in contact with other cities of the same or different cultures, and the result of these contacts
6) What year did the tenants and the name of the Gods change
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:59 pm »

"Patuimn"

Patuimn is associated with pantheism, nature, animism and sun worship.

Patuimn is represented as everything.

That must make the religious murals rather tricky to put together...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »

"Patuimn"

I think it would make it easy. Just draw part of him. Go from everything to anything. And you are drawing your god.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:21 am »

"Patuimn"

I think it would make it easy. Just draw part of him. Go from everything to anything. And you are drawing your god.

From the clouds surrounding the mountain peak to the calm expanse of the blue oceans, to the disease-rotted carcasses of lepers abandoned by society and battlefields covered with crows and bloated corpses, to the rich man gloating over his wealth and the poor man standing outside starving...all these are god.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:13 am »

very nice
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »

So is this like, using real world variables? Like stuff associated with cultures outside Western perceptions?

Say a culture decides one day to move from hunter-gatherer to agriculture. Does the culture's life expectancy drop and death rate rise as per early agriculture?

Basically what I'm asking is if this is a Culture Simulator from a Western perspective or an Anthropological perspective.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 02:14:17 pm »

Traits don't really have any effect other than determine relationships with other cultures. It appears to me that life expectancy only drops if there is overpopulation.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »

Stealtharcadia: It was never really supposed to be a perfect or even close simulation of the way people use ideas. It's an illustrative toy so that I can play with the ideas of meme's, their relationships to each other, and how they move about between groups of people. I'm more interested in the general rules than the specifics.

darkflagrance: Nailed it.

xdarkcodex: If there is something specific happening when it locks up for you, such info would be useful.

Servant Corps: I'm going to figure out some basic tracking of nation groups, and possibly add in some leaders, at least with names. This should make it possible to keep some dates about their formation, evolution and decline. I don't know if really serious record keeping is going to be possible with actionscript 3, but I'm definitely going to push those limits before I move on to my next project.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »

Yeah, I posted that before really looking at everything and thought it was something else. Being an Anthropologist, I'm a little prone to nitpick sometimes. My bad.

But nice job, I like what I'm seeing. I've had this thing running since like 12 today.
Yeah yeah yeah!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 11:49:32 pm »

Oh nah I fixed it. Just need to be refreshed a few time. It froze when there is a lot of movement and stuff.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

Hey, update this crazy thing!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 10:37:07 pm »

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 10:57:59 pm »

Sorry guys this one is pretty much dead.
I've got other plans in the works though, but there are a few more projects and a move between here and there.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 01:28:08 pm »

Sorry guys this one is pretty much dead.
I've got other plans in the works though, but there are a few more projects and a move between here and there.

There's a difference between not updating and then having it not be accessiable to anyone. I want to do an LP of CultureSim to get more people interested, where is it located now?

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

Your request is reasonable so I've dug up the project at rehosted it, and I appreciate the interest in my creation :)

http://spreggo.com/prototypes/culturesim/Culture.html

However, please understand that this project is no longer being developed and I will not be releasing the source code as a personal choice. Unless interest in the project starts paying my bills, it is for all intents and purposes dead, and I reserve the right to discontinue hosting it again in the future. Generally I sweep up all the old projects when interest has hit zero.

That being said, I really do have other projects in the works. They are taking some time to get off the ground however due to aforementioned bill paying priorities.

P.S. if you do a LP and it gets the attention of more than few people I will consider making it downloadable with the idea raws editable. It might be interesting to see what a group would do to expand that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5