Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Just some group of people, out to make a name for themselves in the world...  (Read 11850 times)

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile

fine. so what can my butterfly do?

and i'll be purple.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to find a job, in town, also practice magic with assumed entire day of casual attempts. If no job try magic harder with leftover time.

fine. so what can my butterfly do?

and i'll be purple.

Nothing, that is point, it is fluff only otherwise you would not have it.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if nothing else, i suppose i could send my butterfly out to the tavern to find something for us to do.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dyjeccu spends his first few hours in town scouting it's layout and peoples. He stays alert for those in need, overwhelmed by their situations, or distressed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should no opportunity present itself, he will look for work he can expect to be payed for.. something challenging.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Well, just about anything you can explain. I can try to argue it down, if I suspect it won't work, but if you insist, you can go ahead.

As it is, it would make a great lookout, and although the main guilds would be guarenteed to be protected, other places are much more vulnerable. You could easily find political corruption in a small town, if such corruption actualy existed, and the really small guilds can't really afford magical protection, nor usually need it.

You could also use it as a scout, especially as it could fly up to get a great view of everything around you, or just sit in a tree and warn you if anything aproaches.

Nothing, that is point, it is fluff only otherwise you would not have it.

Not nesecarily. Although it is rather useless, it was more the knowledge that I was against, not a slightly useful companion.
Eh?
Eh!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i send my butterfly to the woods to look for evil encampments/kobolds/goblins/trolls/something else to that nature.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Second day, in town.
(Due to the split of the group, I can post the day of one half while waiting for the others to post)

I won't go into detail about what is where, but excluding a few farmers scattered to the south, that is the general layout of the town, each number a building.

Ranar (Criptfeind (Putting the name in brackets is for my convenience, mostly, and any readers)), after a while of asking around for anything he could help with, ends up spending the day dragging in wood from the logging to the north. It seems that they are planning a new construction soon. During that time, he contemplates magic.(1.1%: 12.0. Failed. Chance +0.4% tomorow) He still doesn't get anywhere, although he came to the conclusion that a few of the hundreds of thoughts on how it works were completely wrong.

Dyjeccu spends his time helping out, just odd jobs when they came up. The population is now slightly friendly towards him.

He is paid with a rather exceptional homemade meat pie after a particularily difficult bit of furniture movement. (Assumption: Your character wandered around, generally helping out where possible. Around mid-day, helped move furniture and the person he was helping decided to reward him. Declaration: It was the best meal he had eaten in months.)

Ranar was paid in some generic quantity of some undecided currency, but it was about equal to the value of the work he did.
Eh?
Eh!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mash a few unknown berries as I speak gibberish.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do we need food or whatever if we don't find a source of that during the day?

If yes than I will get myself, and Dyjeccu if he needs it, some food or whatever.

On the next day I will try to find out what they are making, getting hired if possible, if not than I look for more temp work.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Food is abstracted to your characters usually cariing for themselves, although in future situations where they don't have access to food at all or when they have exceptionally well-made food, they can get some sort of modifier.

Eh?
Eh!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will go to the forest, practising hand gestures again. Once I get there I will collect some wood and drag it back to the shack using some sort of improvised rope, probably vines or something...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

does my butterfly find anything?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, everyone had posted an action already.

Day 2, at base.

Frederick spends some time mashing berries, and tries out various potentiallly magical phrases. Continuing through the day, he (6.1%, *1.4 for full day effort, 8.54% chance. 58.39. Nope. +1.9% next day)

RAM harvests wood. He spends a long time, and gathers 20 logs worth.
(1.1% chance to learn magic. 30.7, failed. +0.9 tomorow)

Schaudy souts with his butterfly. It can't find anything in a 4 map-tile radius around the base, but there seems to be something of intrest to the southwest. It was too late in the day to check it out fully.
(chance to infer something about the nature of magic: 1.5%. 64.4: another failure. +0.5%)

Research: Often can happen casually during other activities, although many typed of more advanced research would have massive penalties, it can also be actively researched. Each day has a percentage chance of success, and it goes up any time research is accomplished.
This is an emulation of the moment of inspiration that can occur in real life when working on a hard problem, and lucky/unlucky days, while alowing a persistant player to still succeed.
Varous factors may modify the probability or the probability gain for the next day, ranging from help from a more experienced person to reading a manual, or dedicated research attempts.

The numbers are whatever I feel like, based on effort spent researching, but trying to be at least somewhat fair.

This same process applies to more than just magic. In fact, magic will start off easier, as you can work on it even while attempting something else, but later progress much slower than a physical practice.
Eh?
Eh!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okay, let's talk strategy. i think we should check out that interest in the southwest. my butterfly will scout ahead, and if there's anything strong, we run. if there's a couple weak monsters, we fight.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Define weak monster. We're unarmed and completely untrained.

If the rest of the party at my location decides to investigate, I'll travel with them while spouting gibberish. If not, I'll draw things in the ground near the stream I found while uttering gibberish.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11