Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Improved Difficulty  (Read 3395 times)

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved Difficulty
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:36:51 pm »

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before (I think someone must have but It couldn't find one).

Terrifying locations should be really deadly, uber hardcore, making it nearly imposible to survive (and subsecuently more FUN). Also, Orcs should be added to the game, but they would only appear in untamed wilds or higher. Normally once you have and got set of traps and few well trained marksdwarves or champios, you are unstoppable, no goblin siege can destroy you. The orcs should be more aggresive, bigger and faster.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:47:14 pm »

Its in the works. The new combat for the new version makes it so 60 experienced dwarves would have difficulty dispatching a bronze colossus. Also animal-people will now have blowguns with poisoned darts.  So yes, it will get much more difficult.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »

Orcs are in a lot of mods. The game is designed to be heavily changed by simply adding, removing, and changing some fairly simple text files. Try Dig Deeper or Orc Mod, both are pretty challenging.

As for terrifying biomes, a lot of this will be changing next version. When animal-men infest the underground the dangers on the surface will need to be trivial, because that may be the only place we can take refuge in terrifying biomes. Also, try embarking next to a terrifying chasm. That'll brown your underwear real fast.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:07 pm »

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before (I think someone must have but It couldn't find one).

Terrifying locations should be really deadly, uber hardcore, making it nearly imposible to survive (and subsecuently more FUN). Also, Orcs should be added to the game, but they would only appear in untamed wilds or higher. Normally once you have and got set of traps and few well trained marksdwarves or champios, you are unstoppable, no goblin siege can destroy you. The orcs should be more aggresive, bigger and faster.

Give Relentless assault a shot.   It provided challenge even for me.

(You can find it as one of the mods on the list in the link on my signature.)

The main game is so unfinished that adding challenge at this stage is premature.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »

I know, I know, I just wanted to add the suggestion because a lot of people use the dig deeper or the orcs mod and it would be nice to implement them to the game.

But yeah, you guys are right, the game isn't even in v1 (now is really awesome, can't imagine how will it be then!).

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:34:01 pm »

Once stability is achieved with a fort, it is very hard to break unless you try to yourself regardless of sieges. Definitely need more internal threats, more decay, and less invulnerable turtle strategies in general.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »

Dig deeper is extremely hard for me
Right now im 8 years into a fortress and i have 16 dwarves and 4 of them are crippled for life and ive only gotten 3 caravans.
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:05:40 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks Orc and Goblin are synonyms?

But yeah, I eagerly look forward to the day when sieges live up to the name, with enemies deploying ladders, bridges, siege engines and sappers.  The problem right now isn't so much that siegers are weak, but that they're stupid and under-equipped.

(ps thanks for the endorsement profit!)

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

But yeah, I eagerly look forward to the day when sieges live up to the name, with enemies deploying ladders, bridges, siege engines and sappers.  The problem right now isn't so much that siegers are weak, but that they're stupid and under-equipped.

Sieges should be like that! It would be nice too, to see the goblins make a camp and start attacking you. Btw, we should have a gate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:22:22 pm by xczxc »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:41:10 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks Orc and Goblin are synonyms?

Pretty much.

"The orcs in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are also referred to as goblins."

Only known synonym I know of.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

Pretty much.

"The orcs in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are also referred to as goblins."

But he was the one who made 'em up in the first place!  :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »

Pretty much.

But he was the one who made 'em up in the first place!  :D

No, no he wasn't.

Both Goblins and Orcs go back a long way.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:18:45 am »

I would say that seiges need some way to destroy constructions. whether it's goblins bringing trolls(I'd rather like to know how he gets through stone walls though) with a few new tags, or having them build catapults to destroy constructions once they actually decide to seige you instead of trying a direct assault ending with blood and death of the assaultees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:21 am »

LOL Most welcome =p  It may slow down my fort when 80 Treents attack at once.. but damn... What a rush to see my ultra champion hammer dwarves send them flying a full 3 embark tiles!
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »

Back on track - I like the idea of making sieges much harder, just not early in the game.

A lot of people are still going to be brand new, or still learning the game.  There's no way they'd be able to handle a siege where 40 goblins show up and start building siege towers and catapults.  They'd be destroyed outright.  And while some people may point to this being Fun, you can't deny that the idea of a "doomsday clock" to the next siege would put off a lot of newbies - even experienced players would get frustrated.

I like how it starts now, with one or two squads showing up at a time.  An early fortress can usually handle this if they're defense-minded at all.  After three or four years, though, when the average player had had adequate time to set up defenses and really hammer out a competent military, you'd see larger and larger invading forces. By year eight or ten it's strange to see less than 40-50 gobbos in a siege - maybe they even start bringing trained monsters to fight for them, and building siege equipment using your map's (or shipped in) resources that you could recover if you beat them.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 
Pages: [1] 2