Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just kludge in some dungeons... real dungeons!  (Read 3963 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just kludge in some dungeons... real dungeons!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

http://www.nethack.org/

Of course.  You see, Nethack with DF combat mechanics and other features would be awesome enough to usher in a new intergalactic age of peace and understanding.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

Nethack isn't procedural, its random.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 03:43:56 pm »

Strange moods for non-workshop jobs? That is, miner goes crazy, digs a maze; mechanic goes crazy, creates elaborate death trap.

Maybe your whole fortress can get a collective fey mood, and everyone works together to build a bizarre/menacing landmark.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:47:22 pm by Percival »

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

i like it for civ leaders. i definitely *do not* like it for your own dorfs. you are the crazy mastermind behind your fort.

i guess in a way that means your whole for is in fact having one big strange mood while you are in charge. when we have an option to let the settlement run on its own it will actually have more meaning.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:27 pm »

But sometimes I wish there could just be some crazy dungeons on the world map for no other reason than because some apeshit insane historical figure decided to build a gigantic tower or underground lair full of traps and bizarre creatures.  I don't just mean tunnels or empty rooms full of critters to find, mind you, I'm talking about structures that use fully integrated features such as levers, pressure plates, mechanisms that open doors or cause nasty things to happen, traps, flooded chambers, pumps that spew magma from the depths of the earth, the whole nine yards.

Until something more nuanced and contiguous with world history can be implemented, could it be possible for say 1 in 1000 or so civilization or religious leaders to suddenly go bugnuts insane and build a gigantic deathtrap tower/dungeon of ultimate doom, filled with bizarre enemies (as per the new HFS) at the top/bottom of which might be found a large treasure trove of some kind?  Just to keep us interested in adventuring and to, uh, test the game better.   ;D

Your post makes me think of the average DF fortress builder.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »

Wouldn't dungeons be more believable if they were extremely complex tombs? Perhaps some kind of necropolis? Hell, have an evil wizard set up shop in one of them and start making zombies. Then you've got a plausible reason for a massive underground complex, a bunch of spooky creatures to fight, phat lootz too steal and a big climactic battle at the end. Now that I think about it, necromancers and demon summoners would be pretty easy first implementations of wizards.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 10:40:14 pm »

Nethack isn't procedural, its random.

Wouldn't dungeons that are "just kludged in" be mostly random anyway?

For dungeons to be meaningfully different from what's already out there, they need to be done right, which means we need to have patience.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 04:39:02 am »

Just gonna add that the current caves and such could be considered kludged in dungeons, and by asking for better dungeons, you're asking for Toady to spend effort working on improving something that is already kludged, thus postponing actual progress.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:38 am »

I thought the new caverns were either procedurally or randomly generated, not hard coded. Kludging suggests something that's not done right, these seem to be done to Toady's approval, so you couldn't call them kludged.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »

Look, if Toady had decided that every single thing in DF had to be "done right" and procedurally produced before adding it into the game there would be no game.  The older 2D stuff was a bit of a kludge; I mean, every single site had a river, lava, chasm and HFS, which had to be completely redone.  I'm just suggesting that adding an simply version of some stuff for adventurers to have fun with might be in the interest of beta testing and attracting more general interest in the game.  If we are talking about human structures that get "built" during history, rather than something that affects the entire geological layout of the world, I don't see why it couldn't simply be wiped clean when he decides he wants to work on a more realistic option, or decides he doesn't want it in the game at all any more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »

I thought the new caverns were either procedurally or randomly generated, not hard coded. Kludging suggests something that's not done right, these seem to be done to Toady's approval, so you couldn't call them kludged.

It is sort of half and half.

Toady basically increased the odds of caves forming many times greater then real life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:47 pm »

Go ahead and kludge around, it's what gets things done, and allows you to learn. Creating backup copies is acceptable and most intelligent people do it, so mistakes are negligible short of slaughtering Toady's (or our own) hardware. Having dungeons is a good proposal and not entirely senseless. It would at least add some form of entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:24:12 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]