Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Impact craters  (Read 11356 times)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Impact craters
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21:17 am »

Howsabout this:

The majority of meteor strikes are just iron and nickel and junk like that, but large meteors can be coated in iridium laced iron, or have iridium cores. Maybe one in a thousand has a single square of adamantium ore in it for no explained reason.

The tech level doesn't allow for dwarves to work pure iridium, with any degree of success (though perhaps a major skill penalty would be enough), but alloying iridium with iron, and forging it into steel would yield a very heavy, brittle metal, that is highly resistant to corrosion (it is totally immune to acids, metals and alki, but can be corroded by some molten salts).

Let's say that for every unit of iridium laced ore processed, there is a 10% chance of getting a bar of iridium iron, instead of a regular iron bar. That's probably way too generous, but we need the ore to be worth digging up.

To make meteors a bit more exciting, I propose that some of them be made of something altogether alien. I'll borrow the name from  one of the old Tacticus games, and call it Unobtainium. It's a good name, with a rich history, and I defy you to better. To emphasise that this is something totally outside our experience, the stats on this metal could be randomized (within constraints, if it's boiling point is too low, it wouldn't have survived the fall, etc.).

--OR!

Unobtainium could be found only in the form of native unobtainium, that yields two bars to a mined square. Unfortunately that's because it's the wrecked vehicle of some creature from beyond our existence. I'm thinking creatures so crazy random that you never know what to expect inside.

There could be an eldritch abomination(i.e. a giant hostile titan), or a race of peaceful, sentient beings in there.

This could even be an early inroad for random civs. Every planet get's a small pod of these random aliens dropped on the world, around the time that the other civs appear. If they don't die off in worldgen, then the player has to siege them, for that precious sphere of metal they came out of.

Blood. Randomize whether it's a regular titan, who will emerge and abandon the eggshell, a titan that will sleep inside until disturbed, or a small civilization of creatures.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 05:34:28 am »

Also, maybe real huge cave-ins/whatever can make craters too!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 06:05:24 am »

Wouldn't that be more like a sink-hole?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 06:08:55 am »

proly.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:47 am »

proly.

Having grown up near a large sinkhole, I can tell you that once they are done sinking, they never do anything interesting again, except occasionally become a duck pond.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 07:01:00 am »

proly.

Having grown up near a large sinkhole, I can tell you that once they are done sinking, they never do anything interesting again, except occasionally become a duck pond.

Still. A hole is a hole.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:24 am »

Not so.

Sink holes are a fairly local phenomenon. They fall strait down, and then they settle.

Meteor strikes can do all kinds of things, like throw white hot diamond shards thousands of miles and bring alien microbes rare metallic elements to Earth.

Perhaps meteor strikes can one day be potential origin points for plagues. If the skies never get too fleshed out, it can be a good place to pull things from, without worrying about where it was before.

Everything can fall from the sky in meteors.

Where did goblins come from? Armok sent the first goblins the DF world packed in a metal ball, that fell from the sky.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:12 pm »

I'd like to add something to this. It's not outside the relams of possiblity for catapult stones to cause tiny craters as well. In fact, booze bombs and other explosives should have the ability to leave small craters where they went off.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

I'd like to add something to this. It's not outside the relams of possiblity for catapult stones to cause tiny craters as well. In fact, booze bombs and other explosives should have the ability to leave small craters where they went off.

That is assuming that Booze explodes. Which the verdict is still out but the current hypothesis is "No".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »

Tell that to all the dead dwarves, Neo.

Anyway, that was just an aside, the point still stands.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 01:47:35 pm »

Not so.

Sink holes are a fairly local phenomenon. They fall strait down, and then they settle.

Meteor strikes can do all kinds of things, like throw white hot diamond shards thousands of miles and bring alien microbes rare metallic elements to Earth.

Perhaps meteor strikes can one day be potential origin points for plagues. If the skies never get too fleshed out, it can be a good place to pull things from, without worrying about where it was before.

Everything can fall from the sky in meteors.

Where did goblins come from? Armok sent the first goblins the DF world packed in a metal ball, that fell from the sky.

As in: I don't care if it's fairly unspectacular, as long it's in for the sake of realism and holes.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »

Where do ponds currently come from?

Does the game just sink holes and fill them with water, based on some sort of ground water quotient? Wouldn't that be the same as having sinkholes that turn into ponds.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:03 pm »

Woulnd`t it be funny if those meteors could even contain some megabeasts?  ;D

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 04:57:43 pm »

Ok, no comment on some of the crazy things saying here, such as people talking about alien microbes in meteorites as if they're real.

But, I think the idea is great for DF. Go imact craters!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »

Ok, no comment on some of the crazy things saying here, such as people talking about alien microbes in meteorites as if they're real.

But, I think the idea is great for DF. Go imPact craters!

You're not really very good at this "no comment" thing are you?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5