Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Conversation and Simultaneous Games  (Read 829 times)

KilloZapit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Conversation and Simultaneous Games
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:46:44 pm »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if conversation in adventure mode was planned to include asking about particular people, places, and things. I sort of imagine a context menu or menus with a list of keywords the adventurer has heard before (sort of like TES I guess). Would be a much easier way of learning about legends you want.

I was also wondering if you could set up games so you could manage multiple fortress or adventure mode sessions happening at once in the same world, perhaps even in such a way that you can play via a shared save over a network, writing histories every once and a while that update the state for other players. Of course this would necessarily include adventuring to an active fortress, but I don't see why it can't be just like any other town only based on the layout/population of the last saved copy of the fort. (at worse it could be done now by making auto-abandoned/retired backup of the save data and dumping/updating it into a shared history/world I guess... might be worth it to program an external utility to merge/update data in that fashion if this doesn't become a feature. Tricky part would be extracting the historical figure and such data from an active save and making sure to keep track of what session uses what figures.)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Conversation and Simultaneous Games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »

We have nothing, and nothing is planned in the near future.

By near future, I mean for a very, very, long time.

You can still do succession forts though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:43:15 pm by eerr »

KilloZapit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:56 pm »

To clarify, by simultaneous games I merely am thinking of a way to say, switch between forts in a succession style (aka, 4 players each have a fort, each play for a year and upload the world data for the next to use).

Or in the far future, have each player use the same world hand history that is synced between sessions. True online mode is, of course, a very very distant goal, but I was more thinking something along the lines of "Is the game set up to handle being hosted by a network drive and being run by multiple computers, or multiple times on one computer?"

Edit: Thinking about it, a good example of what I mean is Nethack's public servers. The game is single player, but a lot of metadata (score, mail, bones, etc.) are public. I am not sure if DF can be run via telnet, but if so, the same kind of public data may apply. DF is obviously more involved though because history needs to be written in such a way that people don't die twice, but events and figures seem modular enough that you can insert them anywhere without too much problem. (In which case, it wouldn't be too hard to play in a past age, carefully tweaking world/hist info not to conflict too much)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:13:14 am by KilloZapit »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if conversation in adventure mode was planned to include asking about particular people, places, and things. I sort of imagine a context menu or menus with a list of keywords the adventurer has heard before (sort of like TES I guess). Would be a much easier way of learning about legends you want.

Yeah, there are a couple of dev items about improving Adv. Mode conversations:

# Bloat200, PERSISTENT CONVERSATIONS, (Future): Conversations can remain active once the screen closes, allowing you to move around and do things while the conversation is still running. Conversations would fade over time. You could have more than one active conversation, and multiple participants could be involved in these. This would be important for group meetings and side discussions with a messenger than comes in and so on. This will require conversations to be saved and loaded as well.

# Bloat201, CONVERSATION UTTERANCE BUILDERS, (Future): When asking specific questions or making statements, much like wrestling, you could set specific parameters. You could set a topic and a question word or your topic and intention and a tone.

# Bloat374, CONVERSATION SKILLS IN ADVENTURE MODE, (Future): With the proper skills, you should be able to judge the mood of people you are talking to in finer and finer degrees. You should also be able to exercise the various conversation skills that can be used in dwarf mode.

# Bloat375, PRIVACY AND ADVENTURE MODE CONVERSATIONS, (Future): Depending on personality scores, people you come up to on the street might not want to talk to you about personal matters when they don't know you.

And it's not necessarily that far off, since Toady is planning to work on adventurer skills and adventurer entities (along with improved sieges and items from Eternal Suggestion Voting) after the upcoming release.